Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #1

TV Replacement

My front tv is acting up, it will turn on sometimes, run a bit then loose power. I took it in the house to see if it was a plug in or the TV. Did the same in the house.
Any way, I went to the store to look at replacements and I took some measurements, and all the new ones are a smaller dimension, so, I am going to have to do some remodeling on the umm, TV cage. Has anyone had to replace their TV before, and do you have any tips for me? I will figure it out on my own.
Another question pertaining to this. I'm sure the TV takes a banging while traveling. Is there anything out there to cushion the TV. I have a couple ideas running through my head but maybe some of you have an idea or two.
I am also going to call Samsung and see if they know of what to change for my problem. I opened the thing up and looked inside. Looks easy enough to change a board if that's the problem.
Thanks again.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

TVs are cheap, probably not worth the headache of trying to replace boards and test them. Even if new sets are a bit smaller does it really affect the size of the picture? Not knowing the size, type of installation you have or any other facts it is kind of hard to give advice but some on here have completely removed the over head set and make it go elsewhere. Those things over the dash are head bangers!
Old 04-21-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced my old 32" Panasonic with a 42" Samsung last spring. My cabinets needed to be modified and I had a cabinet maker do it He charge me around $200 and he even matched the wood so it looks original. New TVs don't have the border around them so a bigger one fits where there was a smaller one, and they are lighter too.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Samsung had a well known power supply problem. Capacitors were undersized. They wont admit it, but you can read all about it with a simple Google search. New TV they are pretty cheap. Maybe dont buy Samsung.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #5

I just replaced the 40" Seiki that came in our C Class. I'm no carpenter, so my only advise is to know the differences between a "smart tv" and a regular tv. We bought a Visio smart tv only to discover it did not pick-up "over the air" stations. We very rarely stay at a park with cable tv, so a smart tv didn't work out for us.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got my New WIDESCREEN at a pawn shop. I measured to insure I got the exact same WIDTH. then modified the cabinet for HEIGHT. JOY was mine.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
LED TVs are very thin, inexpensive, weighs very little, and use 15-20 dollars a year in energy. I've replaced 4 without modifying the cabinet by mounting on the face of the cabinet allowing for a larger TV that is closer to the height of the old TV...no wood work. Yes, you need to make sure it has a tuner for OTA signals...not just a monitor or smart TV.

One replaced a old tube TV that had a large metal framework...difficulty to modify. By putting hinges where the 2 bottom feet went the TV can fold down allowing access to the large storage area behind. Again mounted on the face allowing for a much larger TV than what would fit in the hole. Here is a post on that install: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...5.cfm#29599385
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back when the TV signals went digital and all the old TVs would not work anymore I searched the internet and found a digital TV with a OTA tuner that was the exact size of the old TV in my 1999 Winnebago. since sold. If you do some searching you can probably find a exact size TV for your RV.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Here are two more of my installs using LED TVs and mounting on the face of the cabinet.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
My front tv is acting up, it will turn on sometimes, run a bit then loose power. I took it in the house to see if it was a plug in or the TV. Did the same in the house.
Any way, I went to the store to look at replacements and I took some measurements, and all the new ones are a smaller dimension, so, I am going to have to do some remodeling on the umm, TV cage. Has anyone had to replace their TV before, and do you have any tips for me? I will figure it out on my own.
Another question pertaining to this. I'm sure the TV takes a banging while traveling. Is there anything out there to cushion the TV. I have a couple ideas running through my head but maybe some of you have an idea or two.
I am also going to call Samsung and see if they know of what to change for my problem. I opened the thing up and looked inside. Looks easy enough to change a board if that's the problem.
Thanks again.
edge68474,
First off, don't even think about REPAIRING any TV out there. Those days are gone. The new LED TVs are the way to go. And, unless you're one of the kind that is REALLY into SMART TV systems, you don't need one. There's a few ways to look at this situation. First, if you'd like to change to a newer model LED TV and, would like a factory look, that is you'd like the finished installation to look like the factory did it and not glued it to the outside of the face frame, it's not all that hard.

It's more of an interesting project, than it is hard. At least to me and a few others that is. In the link below, you'll see the steps I took for my installation to turn out about as nice as the factory would do it. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, had a seriously heavy "boat anchor" front TV in it. That TV weighed no less than 80-100 lbs. And having that much weight up there always bothered both me and the CEO.

The front face frame (wood) was as usual, merely a facade for the system. The main structure was a steel cage that was tied into the entire upper cabinet and front structural components. The TV we chose, weighs a whopping EIGHT POUNDS!!!!!!!!!! So, there obviously was no need for that steel structure up there. So, out it came. It took a while and, a few choices of saws and tools to get that cage out. But in the end, when it's all said and done, and that new LED TV is playing up there, all that extra effort was well worth it.

As for "bouncing around" well, I too was a bit concerned about that in this installation. The answer primarily came from so many that had already done this change over and, had zero problems with the newer LED TVs after quite a few miles of bouncing around on Americas less than perfect roads and freeways. So, I figured if they are having no issues, than I'll have none.

My mount was kind-a unique. I was going to use one of those standard swing-a-round, on the wall types. But, there's way to much movement in those that I would have had to stabilize. Ain't happening. So, I created my own mount. You'll see all of it in the thread below. Again, this is really not a hard project to do and, make it look factory. And as for any "size" of image problems, well, NO, there is none.

As for whether or not a new LED will pick up analog or, "over the air" signals, all I can say is WOW! You should see ours pick them up. I'm using the standard, 14 year old Bat Wing antenna and, that's it. Yes, in certain areas, there's not much analog signals bouncing around but, in others, I've picked up as much as 63 over the air channels. I have one of those signal finders that tells me exactly where to point that over the air antenna for max signal.
Scott

New TV, let the games(or headaches) begin! - Winnebago Owners Online Community
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced my over the dash 32" Vizio TV with a 40" Samsung TV. Makes a big difference when trying to watch the TV from the bed area (back of motorhome) and was the largest TV I could place there. I also installed a fan in each cabinet door (picture only shows vent in one cabinet door) to keep the electronics cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3114.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	200091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3113.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	200092  

Name:	IMG_3116.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	200093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3117.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	200094  

Name:	IMG_3215.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	200097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3219.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	200098  

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
Samsung had a well known power supply problem. Capacitors were undersized. They wont admit it, but you can read all about it with a simple Google search. New TV they are pretty cheap. Maybe dont buy Samsung.
I replaced the blown Capacitors in a 46"Samsung in have at home. Bought a kit of Caps, and a desoldering tool on Amazon took about 30 mins total, TV is still running 3 years later.
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #13

Anyone know if Samsung is still using undersized capacitors?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Anyone know if Samsung is still using undersized capacitors?
Well,
Not knowing anything about the capacitors or any potential issues of any Samgung, we picked ours up from Sams Club. There were two primary reasons we went with Samsung. First, the Samsung has larger threaded mounting
holes in the back. I wanted the largest I could get. And two, every single time we've been in any of the larger TV sales show ares, like Costco, Sams Club, Walmart etc., the Samsungs visual display, i.e. brightness, color, sharpness just destroys any other TV. The others like Visio are ok but, the Samsungs were always superior.

And, (Samsung) know it 'cause, they're always higher priced than other makes. But, I figured what the heck, I want to do this project ONE TIME, and ONE TIME ONLY so, get the best. It's been working flawless ever since I installed it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement