Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
TV Replacement question.

I have seen many a thread on here about modifications to the cabinet where tube tv's are located to accommodate new tv's. My thought was to reduce the sides of the enclosure to shorten overhang and put a flat panel of wood in the opening where the tv currently is, then drill holes to correspond to the mounting bracket holes on the new tv and just hard mount to the wood panel, no shaking mount, no extra spaces to fill with fabric, no worry about where speakers are on new tv so they wont end up inside cabinet, etc.. and would make dimensions of the tv much less critical. An access port in the wood panel to run hdmi's and power through and essentially, done.

Then, if and when time comes to replace tv, just remove and bolt up new. I have an access panel under the cabinet to be able to reach wiring and mounting screws. This make sense to anyone else?

Also, as added bonus,I have a panel of finished oak out in shop from last kitchen remodel, ordered one too many and could not return, would also make me feel like I didn't totally waste that C-note.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
I have seen many a thread on here about modifications to the cabinet where tube tv's are located to accommodate new tv's. My thought was to reduce the sides of the enclosure to shorten overhang and put a flat panel of wood in the opening where the tv currently is, then drill holes to correspond to the mounting bracket holes on the new tv and just hard mount to the wood panel, no shaking mount, no extra spaces to fill with fabric, no worry about where speakers are on new tv so they wont end up inside cabinet, etc.. and would make dimensions of the tv much less critical. An access port in the wood panel to run hdmi's and power through and essentially, done.

Then, if and when time comes to replace tv, just remove and bolt up new. I have an access panel under the cabinet to be able to reach wiring and mounting screws. This make sense to anyone else?

Also, as added bonus,I have a panel of finished oak out in shop from last kitchen remodel, ordered one too many and could not return, would also make me feel like I didn't totally waste that C-note.
I have done a few LCD upgrades and can not see why that wont work for you
Like u explained u can have easy access to the 4 mounting screws and that's all that counts .Obviously one would have to be very carefull on measurments and exact mounting as to have a level and square system once bolted in place
the fact you will have a 3/4 inch exsposed side edge will make it easy to add a decorative trim for finish
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post

Assuming your new TV isn't too wide for the shortened space, sounds like a good option to me. You may find it's necessary to use an adapter plate to get the TV where you want it in a vertical plane ... the VESA holes on the TV are often not where you want them. You may want to stop in Walmart etc. and have a look at the back of a few TV's.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #4

Assuming your new TV isn't too wide for the shortened space, sounds like a good option to me. You may find it's necessary to use an adapter plate to get the TV where you want it in a vertical plane ... the VESA holes on the TV are often not where you want them. You may want to stop in Walmart etc. and have a look at the back of a few TV's.[/QUOTE]

On contrare the Tv would be wider than opening for sure but using a 3/4 inch plywood backer will negate this concern as the plywood would screw to the leading edge of the old cabinet. I have never seen a lcd/led where the factory mount holes were not square>? but iam sure its possible.Thats why I said be carefull when prefiting the tv before mounting
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #5

I'm sure that will definitely work and not a bad idea. It all boils down to whatever YOU like.

I mounted mine flush with the outside width of the existing cabinet from a movable TV mount so I can swing it out of the way and use the inside of the cabinet for storage (like TV stuff/cd's/dvd's)
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #6

I don’t see why your idea wouldn’t work. I hinged mine at the top so I could swing it up and use the space behind for storage of other video equipment. I used a suitcase latch at the bottom to hold it shut tightly while driving. Almost anything is possible, just take your time and think the project through.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRvnut View Post

On contrare the Tv would be wider than opening for sure but using a 3/4 inch plywood backer will negate this concern as the plywood would screw to the leading edge of the old cabinet. I have never seen a lcd/led where the factory mount holes were not square>? but iam sure its possible.Thats why I said be carefull when prefiting the tv before mounting
Square pattern = yes. What I was referring to is the pattern location vertically ... higher or lower or centered. The pattern can be above or below the vertical center line.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunnerxx View Post
I don’t see why your idea wouldn’t work. I hinged mine at the top so I could swing it up and use the space behind for storage of other video equipment. I used a suitcase latch at the bottom to hold it shut tightly while driving. Almost anything is possible, just take your time and think the project through.
That's exactly my plan this coming March. I've already replaced the bedroom TV. Did you cut in a ventilation source somewhere for the electronics behind the TV?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement