Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #1

TV size

Hey everyone

Been looking at class A DP's as a possible option for full timing. One thing I have noticed and can't seem to find a solution to is the size of televisions are fairly small. They all seem to drop or fold down above or right behind the driver seat area which is fine but thy look so dinky. To compare, I'm seeing some fifth wheels with 48" or even larger flat screens in them. Am I just missing the larger ones or is it just a fact of life you have to deal with in a a class A? If you have a larger tv installed in yours a pic would be great so I can visualize it (literally lol).

TIA,
Stephen
Barefoot352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:30 AM   #2

You're probably looking at older used DP's and most of them that have this type of setup and yes they are small because of the available room. I have seen a few newer ones still with this ridiculous location. We've always thought what a horrible place to put a TV. Some people have retro fitted this area for a larger, up-to-date TV above the drivers seat. However, newer DP living space designs usually have different options now that actually make for practical TV viewing in the living area where you can actually sit in front of the TV. Our gas MH has this config. and we love it. I also removed our "J" couch and installed a 2 seater, full reclining love seat with console & cup holders in front of our 32" updated Smart TV. Simply awesome. In the extra space left over next to the love seat, I'm currently building a computer workstation area so I can run my business while on the road. Don't have pic's yet but will post once my work station is complete and that whole wall is done.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #3

We recently moved into our RV and found this to be a big problem for us as well. The units we were looking at were all pathetic in the TV department, and I really wanted to retain my 65" and 60" 4k TVs.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any way to mount them where they weren't either blocking a window or just in the way altogether. I haven't had a TV smaller than 60" for over 10 years, and there's no way I was going smaller so we instead opted to go with a projector and a fold down screen. This gets us a 63" diagonal screen which while nowhere near as crisp as our 4k units, were completely satisfactory.

I mounted the projector and screen with YKK SNAD buttons, so I can move it from in front of the door (across from the couch) to in front of the driving compartment if we ever have more people in there and need extra seating, and I also plan to install snaps on the side of the RV for use with a much larger outdoor screen. I was able to pick up a fairly nice BenQ W1070 with the proceeds from the sale of one of the TVs with money left over.

The bedroom TV is still pathetic, but we don't really ever use our bedroom TV now so figured we'd hold off on that unless it becomes an issue.
cblair334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Stephen, this is the way we solved the problem. We love being able to stretch out in our recliners and watch the 40" TV directly in front of us!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #5

MAHapoyCamper that looks wonderful. Thanks you
Old 01-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #6

Cblair great idea!
Old 01-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #7

Bigger Tv

We had the cabinet above the driver area redone in our 98MADP and installed a 40" tv. If you look on craiglist or, Eugene,rv/camper and type in tv retro fit you will see several pics of different rv's that this man has done. Ron did a Great job. Just some ideas for you. Ours is one of the pic's.
boatman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #8

In newer coaches it's pretty common to find 42-48 inch main tv with 38 inch in bedrooms and outdoors. I think the easiest way to see this is spend some time on youtube looking at walkthroughs of recent coaches in the realm of your interest (like 2016 diesel motorhome search).
Old 01-27-2017, 02:16 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have two recliners, and a couch on the PS. 37" TV over the dash. When parked we move one recliner to the center of the living area, facing the TV - the other is in the DS slide, angled towards the TV. This setup works great for us.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:11 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

48" Sony HD smart TV. LOVE IT!! With the slides in, viewing across the room width wise looks like it is 60". OK only on traveling, windy days.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:11 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought a DP with a Love Seat across from the main couch. Took the love seat out and replaced with a entertainment center. Added a home surround sound stero, Blue Ray DVR, DirecTV Genie, VCR with a PC printer behind a 55" Curved 4K Smart TV.

I still use the front overhead TV for watching when at the kitchen table. Eating or using the Desktop PC 22" monitor.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Our 2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38 QRA has a 32" LG TV outside and 3 LG 42" TVs inside. We're happy campers.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I took out the old 42" plasma TV and put in a 48" Samsung TV. It's about 1" wider than the old TV but much less weight (28#'s vs 65#'s). Plus it's a 1-80 rather than 720. Rather simple to do as the mounts were the same but the new TV had fewer connections for the RCA jacks but more HDMI which my rig isn't wired for.
Old TV shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6999 (11).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	150173  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #14

Wonderful thank you all for the info and giving me hope! I'm not a couch potato but when we watch tv I want a nice big screen to watch movies or play Xbox (I'm still a kid at heart).

When we buy it will prob be a 6-8 year old higher end DP. Tiffin, Newmar, etc. I love them !!!