Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

Two battery disconnects?

On our first MH, we had a single switch to cut the batteries when we were storing. Simple enough.

In our new rig, there are two switches, side by side. One is AUX, the other is MAIN. The AUX is the one that cuts power to everything (lights, radio, etc.), but I can't figure out what the purpose of the MAIN switch is. I am assuming it has something to do with the chassis batteries as opposed to the house batteries, but can someone tell me specifically what happens when I push that switch to off as well, and whether I should even be touching that button at all?

Thanks for your enlightenment!
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
On our first MH, we had a single switch to cut the batteries when we were storing. Simple enough.

In our new rig, there are two switches, side by side. One is AUX, the other is MAIN. The AUX is the one that cuts power to everything (lights, radio, etc.), but I can't figure out what the purpose of the MAIN switch is. I am assuming it has something to do with the chassis batteries as opposed to the house batteries, but can someone tell me specifically what happens when I push that switch to off as well, and whether I should even be touching that button at all?

Don't. Touch. That. Button. ;-)

OK, where are the switches? On our MH, one is for the chassis, one for the coach.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Don't. Touch. That. Button. ;-)

OK, where are the switches? On our MH, one is for the chassis, one for the coach.
But, WHY would I need that button is my question. It doesn't really seem to "cut off" anything. Mine are at floor level, right by the entry steps so you can lean in and push them when you open your door to get the stairs to pop out.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
What year, make model of motorhome do you have?

My 1999 Southwind also has two switches, "AUX" and "MAIN"

The AUX connects/disconnects the coach battery. The MAIN connects/disconnects the chassis battery.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
What year, make model of motorhome do you have?

My 1999 Southwind also has two switches, "AUX" and "MAIN"

The AUX connects/disconnects the coach battery. The MAIN connects/disconnects the chassis battery.
2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P. So, assuming that ours is the same, when do you use the main switch and what does it accomplish?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I'm storing without shore power, I disconnect both the MAIN (chassis) and the AUX (coach). If I have shore power, I leave them both connected.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:

We have a 98 Holiday Rambler with two but they are labeled "House" & "Chassis"
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Common battery disconnect switch functions.

House
Inverter
Chassis
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:15 AM   #9

Our coach has 2 cut off switches. One is for the house batteries. The other is for the chassis batteries. When storing the coach, I shut off both switches.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
US1

When I was calling around for places to store my RV, most storage centers would require a main battery disconnect. The facilites did the actual storing. You drop off, and they park it. Was told had to have the switch because when the facilities retrieve your rv, they would have less likely a dead battery to jump do to sitting. There always seem to be some type of small current draw, and with RVs sitting a lot unused= dead battery. A battery can only last so long when ran down
Old 03-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #11

Same Unit

Quote:
2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P. So, assuming that ours is the same, when do you use the main switch and what does it accomplish?
I have the same Unit and the same question. You have to wonder at the lack of proper labelling. I also note that there is no way to tell which direction is On/Off. I found I have to leave a light on just so I know that I have pushed the switch in the right direction.

Now that it is a little warmer out I plan to get the label maker out to make my life a little easier.

As to what to switch off... For the winter I was switching both to avoid any parasitic draws. A dead battery costs money no matter which devices it runs. I do now need to figure out if the Solar panel maintains both the house and the chassis or if it only tops up the house batteries.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #12

OK, thanks for the responses. Basically, it just is a cutoff to make sure there are no draws on your chassis battery when you are parked long-term. THAT is what my question was! I do appreciate the willingness to educate!!!

t
Old 03-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
I have the same Unit and the same question. You have to wonder at the lack of proper labelling. I also note that there is no way to tell which direction is On/Off. I found I have to leave a light on just so I know that I have pushed the switch in the right direction.

Now that it is a little warmer out I plan to get the label maker out to make my life a little easier.

As to what to switch off... For the winter I was switching both to avoid any parasitic draws. A dead battery costs money no matter which devices it runs. I do now need to figure out if the Solar panel maintains both the house and the chassis or if it only tops up the house batteries.
Nice! What colors did you get and where did you purchase? I am going to do the same with my label maker, especially with my basement storage. I hate it when I have to open up doors to remember what I put in there, but that's a sign of being 100 years old, I guess!
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #14

TimmyB,. Since it is new to you, turn the main off and try to start the coach to confirm that it is still in play and disconnects the chassis batteries.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect