Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Two questions for you technical folks

Hi All,

On the road from Montana after being on shore power for four months. The morning that we left our jacks would not retract...they started up then stopped...local RV guy said they were just cold, but an hour later I had to relieve the pressure in the four solenoids to get them to retract. Now they will not go down....no noise, no nothing...any ideas?

Second issue....inverter/charger worked perfectly while we sat on 30 Amp shore power for months. First daynight on road when we hooked up in Jackson Hole the batteries would not charge...also will not charge from generator. They all charge fine when running down the road. Last night I bought a small charger which is working fine. Inverter/charger is on (have flipped switch on and off) and reset the breakers(?) on the face of the inverter box....any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help......

Jim and Pat
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #2

Couple of questions if I may.
Does the key pad for the levelers lightup when turned on ? Possible main fuse blown. Have you tried suppling power direct to the pump motor; by-passing the relay, to see if it runs ? I just got through over hauling a pump motor due to a corroded ground plate for the brushes.
Is your coach 30 or 50 amp service? Did you have the same problem at another park ?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As you are probably aware, all that is needed to retract the jacks is to get the hydraulic pressure off of them and the springs will do the rest. If they go up when you open the solenoids but don't otherwise, I would suspect the shuttle valve. A $70 part and an easy DIY job. Before you order one you may want to call HWH and have them give you some trouble shooting diagnostics to confirm.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #4

SKIP426...keypad lights up...I'll see if I can get a shot of 12 volt directly to the motor tomorrow...and the park we were in for 4 months was 30 amp..now we are 50...the batts charge up real well from the alternator on the Cat or the trickle charger I bought, but nothing when on straight shore power... Thanks

MaverickBBD...thanks for your idea...I called HWH Monday morning...it's Wednesday night..."here I sit, broken hearted..." still have not heard back. I'll call again...and Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #5

If no battery charging while connected to shore power I would suspect the converter/inverter isn't running. You might check your 110vac circuit breaker panel to see if the breaker hat feeds the converter/inverter is tripped. If not, check whether there's a circuit breaker of some type on your converter/inverter.

Last but not likely is your converter/inverter could be shot or you could have a faulty isolator solenoid.

Good luck ferreting out your problem and keep us posted

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I used to have a Winnebago Journey DL, I had a couple of problems with charging system and called in. They were extremely helpful and actually gave me information that worked.
It is worth a call.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

Second thoughts on your levelers, 4 months in one spot then electrical problems ; sounds like you've been CRITTERED, possible something has chewed through some of the wiring in the area of the pump/relay. If your in the area of the pump, trace all the wiring involved, to the frame( ground ) or bulkhead checking for nibble damage. HWH may have more ideas when you get through to them, but for now a stupid question, have you checked all the fuses in the control box. 3"x5"x8" alum cased box under the dash where the wiring for the key pad originates. My control box is held in place with a 2" wide velcro strap, and can be dismounted to view/change fuses, wiring for the key pad is only 4' long so box should be fairly close by and it's not weather proof so it has to be under the dash or in a sealed compartment close to the key pad.Good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If those are power gear jacks.. Try the lubrication method outlined in the owner's manual for retraction.. The extension issue however is something different. Like no electricity. Others have done a very good job of describing those issues.

NOTE: no electricity can affect retraction as well. SLOW = Lube, NONE = Lube then check for other issues.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Why would anyone call hwh about powergear jacks?
Powergear does not answer the phone and won't talk to users.
I've heard they answer emails, but that was not my experience.

If the jacks won't energize, could be an interlock.... coaches differ, my monaco demands the key be on, pace arrow demanded it be off....

There is often a great big 'ford solenoid' near the powergear pump, you can jump across those with ascrewdriver to test them.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #10

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your ideas. We are on the road and I'm having some communication problems. HWH called Friday and I missed the call. Right now I think my biggest problem is the inverter/charger not working. The only fuse I can find is the 300 AMP link fuse and it's OK. Monday I'll call Winnebago and see if they can help me find any other fuses. Will report back as soon as I have some news.

Thanks again
Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
What is the make and model of your inverter/charger?
Most of them have at least 2 resettable fuses on them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #12

And the answers were.....

Both items fixed.....

The inverter: Seems there is a relay of some sort inside the inverter. Service people checked all leads to and from it, and at one point disconnected the power. When they reattached the lead the inverter started to work again. It was an AH-HA moment for the service people....anyway, fixed.

The jacks: The fuse holder for the 40 Amp fuse (down by the pump) was bad....they found it by having me hold down the power button on the control panel while they jiggled the wires.

Thanks to everyone who answered my request for help, and I hope this info helps someone else in the future.......Jim
Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #13

I had the same problem with the inverter not charging, come to find out after I got the inverter re-booted from Magnum instructions it was the ground cable leading off the house batteries. Cleaned all post and cables and it has worked ever since.
William H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The charging problem might be your transfer switch. Being it won't charge from
shore power or from the generator that is where I would look first.

On my coach I have air leveling but it just quit on me one time and it turned out the plug on the bottom of the keypad had fell off. May not apply but you never know.