Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to andrewsilver Send a message via MSN to andrewsilver Send a message via Yahoo to andrewsilver Send a message via Skype™ to andrewsilver
Two separate tire blowouts - Continental HSR at 39k miles

I'm wondering if this is normal. Our 2012 Fleetwood Storm had 2 separate tire blowouts this past weekend around 100 miles apart. Both were the outside rear tires, one on each side. I was driving at 50 mph on the first blowout and 60 on the second. The tires exploded and damaged the wheel wells. The tires literally ripped into the sidewalls. The pics attached are the first tire. The second one looked the same or worse after the blowouts.

The tires are Continental HSR 225/70R19.5 with date codes 2111 (21st week of 2011 - i.e. the last week of May 2011, so they are 5 years 7 months from manufacture) with 39,200 miles. The tires have even tread with around 7/32" tread remaining (16/32" is new), never repaired or plugged and no visible cracks on the sidewalls. I keep the tires covered with RV Tire Covers whenever we are not traveling (which is most of the time).

I'm surprised this happened. They only had 39k miles on them, are a good quality name-brand tire and were only 5 1/2 years old. I'm curious if this is normal. Do Goodyear, Michelin or Toyo last longer? We were pretty shaken up by what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 1.41.33 PM.png
Views:	199
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	148161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 1.41.52 PM.png
Views:	188
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	148162  

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 1.42.01 PM.png
Views:	202
Size:	760.7 KB
ID:	148163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 1.42.10 PM.png
Views:	178
Size:	903.3 KB
ID:	148164  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't mention if you use a TPMS or check tire pressure daily.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
This seems unusual. In general tires are good for 6-7years.
Don't know if you have owned the coach since new. An early
blowout failure can often be related to having run the tires
under-inflated. Could also be related to damage from hitting
curbs.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tire manufacturers claim that 90% of blowouts are the result of underinflation. I presume that if he had TPMS the system would have beeped or sound an alarm.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to andrewsilver Send a message via MSN to andrewsilver Send a message via Yahoo to andrewsilver Send a message via Skype™ to andrewsilver
Thanks. I keep the tires at 100psi and check in the morning, no TPMS. After the first blowout I thought perhaps I had gone over a nail and lost air leading to the failure - though I hadn't noticed any change in handling - and I'm pretty sensitive to handling.

We then parked for 2 days waiting for a replacement tire (happened on 12/31 evening) and then left on Jan 2 (with extra checking of full pressure in all). Less than 100 miles later the second tire exploded.

While it's certainly possible I ran over a nail on both tires - I really doubt that's what happened. I think both tires exploded due to failure - which I feel is not only disappointing but very dangerous. I have always followed the rule of replacing RV tires at 7 years no matter the condition - but not at 5 1/2 with no sidewall cracks and good tread left.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Wow--you had some seriously bad luck there! The good news is that you managed to control a very dangerous situation successfully. Twice! Thank goodness for that!! I hope your insurance helps you to recoup the cost of repairs and a new set of tires. I'd be replacing all 4 of the rear tires, and probably the front tires too if they are the same vintage and brand/model. All I can think of is that maybe something went wrong with that run of tires. Even if the other tires are fine, I'd worry about them constantly to the point of loosing sleep!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #7

Pictures of the second tire blowout

These are the pictures of the second tire blowout that happened less than 100 miles later. This was the opposite tire: the outer right side tire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 2.01.11 PM.png
Views:	157
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	148173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 2.01.27 PM.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	148174  

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 2.01.50 PM.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	148175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 2.01.40 PM.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	148176  

Old 01-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

The front tires were replaced with the same Continental HSR tires so they are newer with 2014 date codes. I just ordered replacements for all 4 rears with another brand.

Insurance won't replace the tires. TireRack.com states the Continental HSR tires have a 6 year warranty prorated - so not much to claim there. The damage to the wheel wells is less than my comprehensive deductible so I'm just going to fix it myself and chalk it up to RV ownership.

Net-net is yes it could have been a lot worse - we are thankful - but I'm still quite demoralized over this happening. While it was at the end of our vacation, it cost us a lot of money, and more importantly it put my family under a lot of stress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 2.01.01 PM.png
Views:	135
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	148178  
Old 01-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #9

I am glad to see that you are replacing all 4 rear tires at the same time. Duals need to be size matched to be sure that one of the pair does not take more than its fair share of the load. A mismatched tire can overheat and fail. The outer dual takes more wear because it wears more in turns. This might be a possible cause for your failure of both outside tires so close together. That happened to us the first time we took a long trip when we first owned our coach. The coach was 5 years old and around 30,000 miles.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #10

Thanks. We bought the coach new in Dec 2011 so these are the OEM tires that came from the factory. I keep detailed logs and just noticed I rotated the rear tires "inside/out" on each side at 27032 miles - i.e. I reversed the pair on each side but kept them on the same side.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsilver View Post
Thanks. We bought the coach new in Dec 2011 so these are the OEM tires that came from the factory. I keep detailed logs and just noticed I rotated the rear tires "inside/out" on each side at 27032 miles - i.e. I reversed the pair on each side but kept them on the same side.
Have you weighed lately? You may have been overweight at the end of your vacation. Also with out a 4 corner weight your 100 PSI may need tweaking. Just a thought! Glad you guys are OK!!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsilver View Post
Why? Did you see uneven wear?
I've NEVER rotated tires on an RV and I've been RV'ing since 1957 with my parents and had my own TT in 1968. In all that time with my own RV I've never had a blowout either. My parents weren't so lucky with their first TT. Way overloaded and each trip was an adventure to see which tire would blow next!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Have you weighed lately? You may have been overweight at the end of your vacation. Also with out a 4 corner weight your 100 PSI may need tweaking. Just a thought! Glad you guys are OK!!
I agree with everything gemert has said and also glad you didn't sustain any catastrophic damage to the rig or more importantly, to yourselves.

Just because you might think that 100 psi is adequate, it may still have been under-inflated for the weight.

For both tires to react in that manner, that's my guess ...that you somehow overloaded your rear axle.

I've attached the Continental RV Tire Maintenance Guide which I think is pretty impressive just in case you don't already have it. I've been keeping it in my files even though I don't own Continental tires. It's one of the better RV tire guides I've encountered.

I've also attached the Continental inflation chart for your size that comes from their commercial truck data guide.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #14

Hey Andrew - Great attitude on both asking for input on 'What could have caused this?' and on chalking it up to the overall joy of RV'ing. (RV'ing? Oh yeah, that's the thing we do between repairs!)

So glad all are safe.

Yes to double checking if you had weight creep that may have caused a problem. Also, curious on if the OEM tires load ratings were good for your coach to start with? Usually the inside dual caries the extra load, so outside is a bit unusual.

You do sound like you do what many of us do, anal and regular checking of PSI. Do you recall anytime where you found the tires PSI too low when checking? And, on these terrible roads we have now - do you recall large pot hole like impacts?

I would have felt safe on those tires, if I had known they are never run with low PSI.

On pot hole, curb like impacts. A slipping but not broken tire cord, say from an impact many months, even a year ago, could have suddenly become a broken tire cord. (We had two tires damaged about two years ago, one with a broken cord the other was a slipped cord, due to pot hole impact. I was lucky, as I saw a slight bulge that never used to be on the one tire, an outside dual. And then real close inspection of the Tag behind it, showed a dimple like effect. I got some good help from Tireman9, and elected to replace these tires before putting too many more miles on them.)

A bruised, cord slipping tire - can develop into a blow out condition down the road...

That's all I have for you... Best wishes, and travel safe!!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote