Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW in TX View Post
I took mine there Wednesday. He had me do the air brake test which isn't a big deal. Also dinged me on observation at signaled cross streets. If you don't make an exaggerated turn of your head to look they score like you didn't look at all.
Passed easily. And yes neighborhood is sketchy. They should let you get a class b and concealed carry permit on same visit.
What did the air brake test consist of?

Bruce
Dhahranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #30

Can this test be taken in a U-Haul truck per-say or do you have to have a RV to take the driving test?
DaSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #31
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am not sure about the weight of the truck being a determining factor but my original CDL Class B had the air brake restriction. When I went to take the test for air brakes I use a U-Haul rental truck. No problem, but check with the local office. They may even had a truck that is over 26,000 pounds and that would be okay.

Of course, when I did this it was in the early '80's.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #32

I had to laugh when I went in for my CDL road test The big deal was WHO was with you when you drove over here to take the test and did they have a cdl to be able to drive. If not you can not take test or drive home.

I had a Mn driver who does not need a cdl to drive motorhome and it confused the examiner to no end.

I gave the lady my Mn A cdl and said so just why do I need to take a road test. I did understand why they wanted me to take and pass the computer stuff. Only got 95s on all sections.

Oh yes I had cdl for 40 years and was a instructor for emergency apparatus operations. Rules say no cdl for 3 years have to take tests> Lady who gave test said WTF drive around the block and tell me how to do pretrip. Have a nice day.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #33

Question to the OP and others that have taken the test, did you have someone who has the endorsement drive your coach to the DMV? I would assume it would be an issue driving your own coach to be tested without the proper endorsement? Thanks
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Question to the OP and others that have taken the test, did you have someone who has the endorsement drive your coach to the DMV? I would assume it would be an issue driving your own coach to be tested without the proper endorsement? Thanks
I know my response is not necessarily to laws in TX, but in NC you have to have someone already licensed with your class vehicle that you are testing in with you.

This was a problem initially for me, but I became friends thru the forum who lived in the same city, and he agreed to meet me at the DMV. I drove the MH (technically illegally) over to the DMV, where he showed up when I originally registered at the desk for the testing.

Once I got mine, it was easy for my wife to go thru testing as well, as I was now the registered class B endorsement driver.

We take the vision and written test to get the class B endorsement 'learners permit', which similar to other learner permits means you are legal to drive ONLY if you have someone in the coach who has that class B license. If you don't know anyone, it's hard to legally even get any driving experience.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhahranswa View Post
What did the air brake test consist of?

Bruce
From what I recall, bleeding off pressure to make sure brakes engage on loss of air, time to build up pressure etc. this video may help.
https://youtu.be/m3QwImTMPww
BW in TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW in TX View Post
From what I recall, bleeding off pressure to make sure brakes engage on loss of air, time to build up pressure etc. this video may help.
https://youtu.be/m3QwImTMPww
Also to make sure the system repressurizes at an acceptable rate. From what the inspector told me, they are testing the vehicle for safety before the road test, not testing the applicant's knowledge of, or ability to perform the procedure. The steps are outlined in one of the drivers' guides.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Took mine in Kerrville last week. They knew I drove it up myself and didn't question it at all.
SATXJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I did not have a driver and was not asked.
BW in TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #39

So does anyone in or around Houston Tx taken the test and which location and did they "ask who drove it " etc etc. getting my B license is on the list for the new year.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #40
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless they have someone constantly watching the parking lot it is darn near impossible to say who drove the RV to the test site. It is a chance one has to take. A stock answer was that a friend who has the proper license drove it up and parked it for me. If I don't pass the test I'll call him to come back and pick it up.

Sometimes they ask and sometimes they don't. Many years ago I had a CDL Class B with air brake restrictions. We upgraded our truck to one that had air brakes. I rented a uhaul with air brakes, drove to the DMV and went in to take the written and driver test. I aced the written test. The inspector looked at that and when we were walking out the door asked me the questions of what to do to test the air brake system. When I was finished the inspector said there was no need for me to demonstrate or take the driving test, "You passed."

Depends on the inspector - and location.

p.s., what I researched indicates that MN does need a CDL for commercial vehicles but not one for RV's.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote