Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

TX Class B Exempt Drivers License

Just wanted to let people know I did my driving test yesterday for my TX Class B Exempt drivers license, to drive my class A with a GVWR over 26,000 lbs. It was a piece of cake! I did mine in the DFW metroplex area at the Lake Worth DPS office on Jacksboro Hwy & I-820, just a little NW of Fort Worth. I chose that office because 1) I live in the DFW area, and 2) I had heard it was not as busy as the others in the DFW area, which proved to be true as they had the most near term openings to schedule the driving test when I scheduled it online.

I didn't have to parallel park, or even back up in a straight line. No questions or testing of the air brakes either. The lady was very nice, and started by just checking my lights, turn signals and emergency flashers. Then we drove for about 15 minutes. making a number of left hand and right hand turns, including getting on and off the freeway, and a couple of lane changes.

The only thing she marked me down on was not turning on my turn signals early enough for lane changes, turns, etc, which was strange because I thought I was turning them on way early, maybe even too early! I think she told me they had to be on for 300 yards before my lane change or turn, which I thought I had done! Oh well, the only thing that matters is I passed! I had been told to keep my head visibly moving at all times, checking my mirrors, gauges, cross streets, etc, which I think was good advice.

Before doing the driving test, I had previously taken the computer test at my local DPS office, which you can do on a walk-in basis. It was only over Section 14 of the TX Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Handbook. However, the driving test had to be scheduled, which I did online. My local DPS office didn't have any openings to do the driving test for over 6 weeks out. The Lake Worth office had many openings within the next week or two!

Overall, I am glad it is over!

Dan Leffel
danlhsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Glad it went smoothly, Dan. Congrats on being legal!! Thanks for sharing the information.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #3

I am scheduled to take my driving test next Tuesday. The folks at the Lake Worth facility have been very helpful. Only complaint has been the wait time for getting in the door. It's first come, first serve. It took two hours to get in front of the officials, 20 minutes to take the written. Thanks for the heads up about turn signals and mirror checks. Best part is I am now legal to drive without corrective lens. Did they issue your license or give you a temporary? We leave on a major trip in a month.
toothdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothdk View Post
I am scheduled to take my driving test next Tuesday. The folks at the Lake Worth facility have been very helpful. Only complaint has been the wait time for getting in the door. It's first come, first serve. It took two hours to get in front of the officials, 20 minutes to take the written. Thanks for the heads up about turn signals and mirror checks. Best part is I am now legal to drive without corrective lens. Did they issue your license or give you a temporary? We leave on a major trip in a month.
Temporary.....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

They gave me a temporary license. It is an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. The permanent plastic one will be mailed to me in 7-10 business days.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
"Head on a swivel!" That's always been the mantra, it seems. That office in Lake Worth used to be further down Jacksboro Highway toward Fort Worth. I worked at the city bus company in Fort Worth; everyone who worked there -- even the clerical staff -- had to become licensed to drive their buses. I (along with four or five others) took my test at the Jacksboro Highway office. We all passed, but my head wasn't swivelled enough, according to the examiner. Since I passed, I just said, "Yes, sir."
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #7

Just completed my driving test at Lake Worth. Everyone there was pleasant and very helpful EXCEPT the actual examiner. He was very stiff, almost unpleasant. I did have to back up AND parallel park. I did pass, but if I had gone over the curb during the parking phase, I would have failed. The important skills such as traffic control, turns, slope speed control etc were barely noted or emphasized. Please be aware that this inspector also REQUIRED drivers license, insurance card, inspection and registration stickers on the window AND the registration papers! If one of these documents is missing, you retest. Just saying, beware! I think it is important, especially legally, to be properly licensed. It's too bad the test, both written and driving, don't reflect the real world.
toothdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #8

It is amazing how 2 different examiners in the same office could be so different in what they require for the driving test! Glad you passed!

Dan
Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
HHg

That is pretty much exactly the way it went for mine. Glad you got it !!

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #10

I am going to take my Class B in Corpus Christi. They told me I would have to parallel park etc. Just curious, will they be wanting to see me turn on my right turn signal when parrallel parking to the right, backing into space, etc. OR, do they want you to turn on the flashers like you would if pulled over on the side of the road. I've heard differently from a couple of people who have been through it.
USMCJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
In 13 years of MH class A driving,how often did I have to parrallel park (backwards)???.......NEVER!
When I took the class B test in IL, I had to back up around the corner,eg. to make a U-turn.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #12

My turn to go for the Class B Exempt. I can call the same place (Denton) and get a different answer everytime. Last call indicated I need to study Sections 5, 12, 13 and 14. I have air brakes. As far as the Hard - !@#~!% examiner you encountered; when you say you need to have a valid drivers license I take it you mean your Class C Texas license? And did you have to have a Class A or B person drive your MH to the skills test or do they make a deal of you driving up in your MH with just a Class C license? Thx t_burd@prodigy.net
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
To get straight answers on the license requirements, call the DPS office in Austin and speak to the chimerical license division. They have a good understanding of the license requirements and the testing. They also know it is not a commercial license.

When we were trying to get our Class A exempt, we finally had the idiots in Houston call Austin to have the requirements explained to them. With all of the BS from Houston, we went to Livingston for the driving portion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Exempt/shempt. No where on a dirver's license does it state the class and the words "exempt." Not a requirement. It is either a Class A, or a CDL Class A.

Sorry, just a pet peeve and ranting.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote