Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #1

TX drivers license

I know there are many on here either from Texas or using it as a home base. How many have went ahead and got the special drivers license, and if there are two of you did you both get it.
RV Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #2

Good luck getting an appointment. I called a dozen times the last few months and gave up. I'll try again post covid.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDisco View Post
Good luck getting an appointment. I called a dozen times the last few months and gave up. I'll try again post covid.
You have to go online to the Texas DMV website and schedule an appointment that way. Same in NM, the local offices won't answer the phone.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #4

In Texas you need a Class B Exempt (not CDL) for motorhomes over 26,000 GVWR. There is also a trailer requirement for heavier trailers, but don't know the numbers.

Process is:

Take written test (basically the CDL) and the handbook is on-line.

Get a learner's permit after passing the written test.

Do the driving test.

No idea of what is happening right now in terms of timing or procedure with COVID .
Old 11-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #5

I am not as worried about issues here in TX but was told that as long as you have this license, you are legal even in states that require a full CDL. I am new to this whole thing so was wondering if they really pushed the license thing or not
RV Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Lifer View Post
I am not as worried about issues here in TX but was told that as long as you have this license, you are legal even in states that require a full CDL. I am new to this whole thing so was wondering if they really pushed the license thing or not

YES. If you have the proper driver's license in your home state, it is recognized in all states.

Said another way, there is reciprocity among the states as far as driver's licenses.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #7

Both of us got the TX class B non CDL license in Feb 2020 before COVID hit. Process is very simple. Take written test. The test is NOT specific for RVs. IIRC pay attention to section 14 of CDL handbook. We recommend you read all of the handbook and look at review questions on sections 2 & 7 (IIRC). After you pass written test go online to schedule driving test - make sure that you do Not schedule class A or CDL. When you take driving test, inspector will do external inspection of your rig and have you test lights, turn signals and horn. Then we drove through a set of cones for about 150 ft. Then back up through same set of cones. The next part of test lasted roughly 20 min to demonstrate that you could safely operate your vehicle. No tricks. We took driving test at southeast Houston mega center - no problems. We did not have to parallel park or do airbrake test. We took written test one week and driving test following week.

Disclaimer : We have no idea if process has changed since Feb.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #8

Deal is in Tx if you tow a trailer of 10,000 or more you need the class A non-Commercial
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:44 AM   #9

My wife and I both took the written test and then the driving test about 3 years ago. Our experience was very similar to the post by B52Rnav.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Lifer View Post
Apparently it isn't pushed much. Recently was speaking with a gentlemen @Tres Rios RV park in Glen Rose, TX. He retired from Texas and still considers it his home base with Texas plates and license. He laughed at me when I asked how his full time lifestyle met with the renewal requirements of his DL and the Class B non-commercial. So...for the last 9 years or so he claims he has a standard operating DL and has no intention of upgrading.

I guess the requirement isn't pushed much as I said as he drives annually from Colorado to Texas and all parts in between.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
So...for the last 9 years or so he claims he has a standard operating DL and has no intention of upgrading.

I guess the requirement isn't pushed much as I said as he drives annually from Colorado to Texas and all parts in between.

But the clown can get a ticket for NO DRIVERS License. Hopefull he never has and accident.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Deal is in Tx if you tow a trailer of 10,000 or more you need the class A non-Commercial
Not exactly.... you have to break 3 thresholds to need an A

1 Has to be a combination vehicle. By definition no single vehicle would need an A no matter size or weight.

2 Must exceed a gross combination weight (rating or actual) of 26,000 lbs.

3 Towed portion is (rated or actual) 10,000 lbs or more.

If you don't meet all three you don't need an A
Old 11-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
So...for the last 9 years or so he claims he has a standard operating DL and has no intention of upgrading.

You do NOT want to go the "what I got away with" route on licensing.

If you are ever involved in an accident and you are not properly licensed to drive that vehicle, I would not want to be your attorney!

Tags
driver