Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #1

U-turns in a 40 footer

My garmin is very optimistic... programmed in my rv length at 40 feet, yet it keeps telling me to make “the next legal u-turn” which it suggest at some upcoming intersection you wouldn’t do a u-turn in a car!

I’ve got a whopping months driving experience here...

Was driving on the highway almost home, and there’s a flipping exit blockage due to construction. Argh. The blocked exit prevents forking onto another highway that branches off, kind of a big deal. Traffic is a mess. Detour signs, merges, etc. detour turnaround is 6 miles down...

All the options look lousy.

That said, where does one make u-turn? Goal was to drive past the obstructed exit, turn around, and hopefully get on the branching highway from the other direction.

Seems the easiest place is on highway overpasses. Your get off the highway, turn left, cross the overpass, turn left again...

Easy enough with no traffic... darn near impossible in traffic... how do you guys do this?

When you get onto the highway off ramp, there’s usually 2 lanes. Then both of these lanes turn left onto the overpass. You must be in the right lane to make the left hand turn.

But, the second you make the turn, and you’re on the overpass, you need to get into the left turning lane, as only one lane turns back on the highway in many cases.

Getting from the right lane, to the left turn lane in a distance of 100ft in traffic ain’t happening...

How the heck do you guys do this?

Figured if I ever see that again I’ll drive 10-15 miles past the detour, past the massive traffic, then turn around...

What do you do?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #2

I personally find my 40’ Motorhome easier to get around than my truck and 35’ Toyhauler. Both are big and when good planning is out the window due to anything just take your time. Look for an open parking lot, an overpass, even certain neighborhoods if it doesn’t say dead end and you don’t see low branches or wires.

Best thing I can say is don’t get in a rush, that’s when accidents happen. If you get frazzled find a safe place to pull over and look on google maps for a good place to turn around.

I tend to over plan and have routes and parking figured out with alternatives, but even than it doesn’t always go as planned.

If you are at the light to turn left, and you need to get over once you turn slow down and try to see if traffic will let you over. I find people are much more courteous to my Motorhome than they are when I’m in a regular vehicle. Sometimes a wave out the window, a simple smile and asking while you are waiting at the light go along way.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #3

Why do you have to use the right lane of two turning left?
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12 View Post
Why do you have to use the right lane of two turning left?
So you can turn wide and not hit anything? Using the left lane seems to risk hitting the left curb, and swinging the tail side into the next lane.

I guess I’ve only seen buses/truck use the right most lane. My truck driving buddy also stressed to never try to turn from the inner lane...
Old 05-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
3 lefts and a rt = U turn
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonandlisa View Post
I personally find my 40’ Motorhome easier to get around than my truck and 35’ Toyhauler. Both are big and when good planning is out the window due to anything just take your time. Look for an open parking lot, an overpass, even certain neighborhoods if it doesn’t say dead end and you don’t see low branches or wires.

Best thing I can say is don’t get in a rush, that’s when accidents happen. If you get frazzled find a safe place to pull over and look on google maps for a good place to turn around.

I tend to over plan and have routes and parking figured out with alternatives, but even than it doesn’t always go as planned.

If you are at the light to turn left, and you need to get over once you turn slow down and try to see if traffic will let you over. I find people are much more courteous to my Motorhome than they are when I’m in a regular vehicle. Sometimes a wave out the window, a simple smile and asking while you are waiting at the light go along way.
A lot of the side streets had that little “no truck” sign. Shows a box truck with a cross hatch over it. I’ve driven these roads in a car and don’t see why an rv couldn’t use them, but that sign throws me off. I worry there’s some obstacle up there to avoid.

Generally turning and reversing directions has been ok... but never been in stop and go rush hour/construction traffic. Moving, turning around, really not great.

And imho, the detour signs that get put up absolutely are garbage. You aren’t getting over 2 lanes in stop/go traffic to use a detour. Half the time the detour sign is vague, point down the road to oblivion. Would it kill them to say “detour, turn in 3 miles.”
Old 05-07-2021, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
3 lefts and a rt = U turn
True... usually. Some towns have roads that aren’t based on the grid system
Old 05-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
So you can turn wide and not hit anything? Using the left lane seems to risk hitting the left curb, and swinging the tail side into the next lane.

I guess I’ve only seen buses/truck use the right most lane. My truck driving buddy also stressed to never try to turn from the inner lane...
The lanes are plenty wide to make your turn. Assuming this is a class A you are driving you always get your hips past what you want to miss before making your turn. Don't panic and if you get in a jam wait, the traffic will pass and I swear you will likely never see those folks again. There is a very helpful video I found on YouTube on driving class A motorhomes put out by Lazy Days RV. If I can find it I'll post a link here..

2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:38 PM   #9

Download the app SmartRVRoute// it has always given me good directions and never put in a u turn situation.
G Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:54 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As you get more time under your belt, you'll get more comfortable. Last year, we were in Moab Utah. They were rebuilding the main drag, the entire length of the town. We found that we couldn't make the right turn into the campground, towing our toad, due to the narrowness of the road construction.

I kept going through town, another mile, until I saw a left turn that led into a parking lot, I knew I could traverse. Made the turn, and got back onto the main drag and then was able to make a left into the campground.

Soooooo......sometimes, you just have to adjust, but learning your limitations and options will help you as you get more experienced.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #11

Go into the "Avoidances" section of GPS and check the U-turn box.
In my old coach I need about 4 or 5 lanes to pull a u-turn
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #12

Change the setting in your GPS to avoid "U" turns. Do nor use your hips to designate when to begin turning, that's great idea to smash your MH.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Change the setting in your GPS to avoid "U" turns. Do nor use your hips to designate when to begin turning, that's great idea to smash your MH.

The hip advise is solid and works every time.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:23 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The hip advise is solid and works every time.