Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #1

Ultraleather Chair Repair?

One of our Flexsteel ultraleather captain chairs has some of the fabric coating peeling off. Has anyone had this happen and found a repair for it? I've emailed Flexsteel and am awaiting their reply. It appears that there should be a product that can be coated over the damaged areas to restore it. Any help will be appreciated!
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yours is the first time I have seen on any RV forum about ultraleather doing any peeling.

Doesn't seem like it is a big problem RV wide. So may not be any product for the problem out there.

Mine are 14 years old and no problem yet.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #3

Our Flexsteel ultraleathers are 6 years old and no peeling here either.

But, I'm going to have to email Flexsteel also and find out if I can I buy a new panel. A result of puppy love, our 1 year old German Shepard pulled the lower back panel off the passengers side chair and shredded it if we didn't love her so much she would be living on the Daisey Hill Puppy Farm by now
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
One of our Flexsteel ultraleather captain chairs has some of the fabric coating peeling off. Has anyone had this happen and found a repair for it? I've emailed Flexsteel and am awaiting their reply. It appears that there should be a product that can be coated over the damaged areas to restore it. Any help will be appreciated!
This is a well known problem, many postings here on IRV2 :
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/capt...rs-129152.html
Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #5

I have had 2 of ny chairs do the same thing. I have a 2003 newmae k/s, called newmar for material. They said that they had sold all material in stock for 2006 and before. The guy i talked to gave me phone numers of two of the places that had bought their material, i called them and they both sent some samples of material from the telephone conversation reguarding description. None of the samples matched. I went to a material shop in macallen texas where I winter with a peice that I cut off under the chair, they came up with something close. Got a local shop in macallen to recover them.
tireman
tireman62075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post
This is a well known problem, many postings here on IRV2 :
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/capt...rs-129152.html
I couldn't find anything about any peeling in your link.
Yet you say it is a well known problem.

At link just cracking and worn out and how/where to have it re-upholster.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #7

Go to the Thor industries section on this forum and click on Damion page you will find many problems there.
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #8

We've had the same issue on the recliners. Go to the Yellow pages or Google someone in your area who does leather repair. The spots can be re-treated and it will look good for a while, but then you'll have the same problems again. You can also buy the materials for repairing the chairs yourself form on line suppliers. I had some arms repaired on the recliners and they lasted about 2 years. Don't have any experiences with the do it yourself stuff. I think that some times when they treat the leather they put the coating on too thick and it peels after a period of heavy use. We clean our leather and treat with conditioner regularly, so that's not the issue.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
Go to the Thor industries section on this forum and click on Damion page you will find many problems there.
Ditto. It seems to be on Thor coaches for a 2 or 3 yr. period..not sure of the exact years. They used an inferior product and furnished it to Flexsteel. Our coach is a 2007, and our chairs have begun to deteriorate rapidly. I haven't looked into a repair yet as we are on the road. Good luck with your chairs.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE Seminole View Post
We have a 2007 Damon Tuscany. In March our chairs started to deteriorate. Didn't use the coach for a couple of months and took it out this last week. Sat down on the captain's chair and the material (on both chairs) just started falling on - looks like a dog with mange. In the span of a couple of hours of sitting in the chairs this trip dozens and dozens of spots on the chair came off - virtually all of the material on the arms where your hips / legs might rub against the side of the chair. These chairs haven't been sat in for 25 hours total since we bought the coach. This is TERRIBLE performance and I am very disappointed!
I have the same condition on my 2008 Damon Challenger. Thor used it's version of FAUX LEATHER on 2007 thru 2009 model coaches. Flexsteel made the seat frames and used Thor's material. I emailed Flexsteel and attached the " tags " from the seats. They sent me a sample assortment to choose from. I ordered new real Ultra Leather covers from Flexsteel for $250 per seat complete plus shipping. Total $535 for two seats.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #11

When I started this thread, we had just left on a trip. After being on the road for two weeks in our 07 Tourmaster for the first time in a few months, the captain chairs had numerous spots where the coating on the fabric continued to peel. Some areas were on the seats, arm rests, and even the skirt. My information states that the Flexsteel chairs had ultra leather covering on them. I sent three emails to Flexsteel using their communication process on their web site, and they have not had the courtesty to even reply. I also talked with an RV tech that said their replacement covering does not fit well in his experience and looks sloppy after a period of time. I also priced replacement seats and their prices were all over the map. We stopped in Elkhart last week on our way through and made some of these contacts.

When I got back to Raleigh last week, I contacted a couple auto upholstering companies and found that I can get a custom uphostering job using real leather on the seat back, seat, arm rests, and foot reat, with a matching artificial material on the backs and skirts for $460 per chair. They even came to my storage lot and removed the chairs. I expect to have them back the later part of this week. I observed several examples of their work being done at this time in their shop and items look better than a factory job.

After all of my research in the past month, I would recommend anyone having a problem with their Flexsteel products to contact a local auto uphosterer and have them reupholstered.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Yours is the first time I have seen on any RV forum about ultraleather doing any peeling.

Doesn't seem like it is a big problem RV wide. So may not be any product for the problem out there.

Mine are 14 years old and no problem yet.
Mine did

yes it happens and I'd wager a lot

can't say what to do to fix it , we just bought arm chair covers
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #13

07 Georgie Boy. Our seats peeled like crazy. In talking to Flexsteel, they acted like ours was the only one that had ever failed. It started at about 2 years old - so we had only used the unit about 80 days at that point.

Our recliner, not Flexsteel but the same general color of material, is perfect. And it gets much more use.

I will never own Flexsteel again after they failed to take any responsibility for this issue.
tpm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #14

The Flexsteel arm rests on our 07 Expedition started peeling after a couple of years. Also the cushions on the couch and love seat from compreshion and creasing from sitting on them. Everything is ultraleather.
Flyboy757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair