Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #1

Ultrapower vs Banks Power Pack

I was considering a Banks Power Pack to add to my 2006 Monaco Monarch 37' with a W-22 workhorse. However, I see some have added an Brazels Ultrapower instead of or in addition to the Banks. I need power and air. I don't really understand what I need to get both. What does an Ultrapower do? Can anyone explain if I need both an Ultrapower and a Banks system or is one better than the other. I just want more power to go over passes and not burn out my spark plugs. Thanks for any and all input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #2

I had a 99 Winnebago adventure and I had a ultrapower from Brazel's and I had a header and a cold air intake and it worked really well for the engine and trans more power and better shift pints, as far the banks I never used it but I know its more expensive,I really like the guys at Brazel's because if you have any questions they're always there for you the owners Mike and john are really good with RVS if you with Brazel's you can't go wrong. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
"ultrapower" is software. I put an ultrapower tune on my 99 V10 last year and am very happy with it. it increased power substantially, but also changed the transmission shirft points to generally lower the operation rpm (and noise level) of the engine.

"Banks power pack" is hardware. Better flowing intake and exhaust systems to improve potential power, particularly at higher rpms.

The ultrapower alone has done me well.
adding the banks system to it is recommended by brazels (actually the ultrapower tuneup specs with a banks are different than without it) and IMHO would be a great combination.

Banks without computer/tuneup upgrades would (again IMHO) be a waste, giving the engine the potential for more power, but without the fuel / timing changes needed to bring that power out.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your engine is controled by a computer.Ultra Power re-programs that computer to get you another 50-70 horsepower,at a cost of $7-9 hundred dollars.
And like JimM said,Banks is mostly hardware,like headers,exaust componets......but they do have the computer reprogramer too.and if you buy the whole shebange,you'll be spending in the $2500.00-3000.00 range!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Does banks have a real tuner now?

I thought they just had the "trans-command" unit that piggybacks on the stock ecm and fools the trans into winding out even higher in each gear?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes; Banks has a complete program download that replaces the stock program. I just completed my installation in Sept. It works and responds great. Contrary to some opinions, it does not wind up at higher rpm's in each gear to acheive the added power. If anything, I feel more power at lower rpms than before.. The headers and monster exhauast system really add the power.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have an 09 Monarch and I m thinking about adding a Banks.
After adding the Banks system, was there any increase in the interior noise level as compared to stock?
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I run both the full banks unit and have just installed the ultrapower ECM. I will be putting the second tank of fuel through it this weekend. Then i will be able to document the results to evaluate the benefits. So far I am happy with it.
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any results? I just ordered Banks and looking at Brazel too. Without header/Exhaust/Intake I worry about EGT as the author of this thread apparently was worried about obviously with her "burnt out plug" note.

Banks Ottomind really does not due much, even banks agrees. Banks is very conservative for sure. Not on there own stuff I will note!

Any results on Banks with Brazel's?

LN
lanthony2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #10

I just had the Ultrapower, magnum plug wires with iridium plugs done to my 07 Suncruiser. It made a very noticeable difference in the performance of my coach.

The shift points on the slight inclines has changed. Before I would kick down from 6 gear to 4th to climb some hills I thought were not graded very steep. Since I had it done in Florida and drove back up I95 to Virginia, I have not been in any mountains, but could really feel the increased performance entering on the interstates.

FYI, I also had Koni shocks put on and DW mentioned how much better the ride is now. Jon was a great help both over the telephone and email. Alliance Coach in Wildwood find the work and their mechanic is superb.

Hope this is helpful. Sorry if I sound over enthusiastic, but the increased performance was immediately noticeable.