Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #1

Unbalanced Tires

i have a 33' Dolphin Class A motorhome that hasn't been driven much last three years. The tires feel like they are unbalanced bad but I had them balanced 2 different shops no help.any idea what could wrong. The tires are about 5 Mo. old.

Thanks Don
rhodes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If it has been sitting a lot chances are they have developed a slight flat spot which should work itself out with some driving.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don,
Did you SEE them balanced ?
Was there runout (side to side) or hop (up and down) while they were spinning ?

We use balance beads, so it takes a couple of rev's to settle things down. Then they ride like glass.

Mike in Colorado
Old 05-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodes1 View Post
i have a 33' Dolphin Class A motorhome that hasn't been driven much last three years. The tires feel like they are unbalanced bad but I had them balanced 2 different shops no help.any idea what could wrong. The tires are about 5 Mo. old.

Thanks Don

Hasnít been driven much in 3 years and the tires are 5 months old?
Old 05-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #5

You'd think a tire shop would catch it but, it could be that one of the tires is bad. Maybe a belt separation or the tire is out of round.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Given that they've been balanced twice (spin w/weights or beads?), it's probably not an actual tire balance problem unless one or more is actually defective, e.g. a tread separating. You didn't describe why you think there is a balance problem, so we can only guess.
Modern tires don't hold flat spots for more than a couple minutes of driving (less than that in summer weather), so I doubt that's the issue either. It's possible the wheels are not being properly centered on the hub, though that's not common on a Workhorse chassis (is this Dolphin on a W22?). Maybe bad wheel bearings or out of alignment? Excessive toe in/out will cause tire bounce similar to balance.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:30 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a previous 2003 Winnebago Chieftain on a Workhorse W22. I had a shaking front end so I took at to a truck service shop that had the ability to spin balance 22" wheels. They told me I had a out of round Alcoa wheel and they could not balance it.

I took it back to the regular shop when I had my RV serviced for my oil, filter, & lube. My friend Bill told me to run it in the shop as he wanted to see for himself if the wheel was really out of round or sprung. He jacked the front axel up enough to lift the wheels about a couple of inches off the floor. He positioned a wood block on the outside of the wheel and another in front of the wheel. He had a piece of yellow chalk and spun the wheel by hand while holding the chalk to look first for an out of round situation and found it was ok. Again he spun the wheel and checked for a wobble and found nothing. He checked the other wheel and found that OK as well. Bill told me he thought the truck shop either used a wrong bolt plate or tried to sell me a new Alcoa that I did not need.

Bill made me a deal that if I would let him remove all the weights from all six of my wheels and install beads that if I was not completely happy with the results I would not have to pay him. I took him up on his offer and no more balance problem. I used beads on all future wheel balancing I became a strong advocate for bead balancing.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #8

If your talking the 1999 coach that’s in your profile - are the shocks original?

Shocks age on time, not miles.

1st coach - 17k miles @ 27 yrs old (when we got her), OEM shocks -1 bad shock, 2 marginal, 1 good (tested using shade tree mechanicing methodology).
2nd coach - 38k miles @ 19 yrs old, OEM shocks, 1 bad, 3 marginal.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodes1 View Post

Thanks Don
Your information is a little lacking in information. Did you have a vibration before the tires were replaced? Do you feel a thump, thump when first starting out? At what speed does the vibration start to show up and at what speed is the vibration the worse? Does it get better or worse at higher speeds?
There are more reasons you could have a vibration other than the front tires. An out of balance or out of round rear tire or even a bad universal joint in the driveline can cause a vibration. Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or more in the seat of your pants? Does the vibration change when the brakes are applied?
If your vehicle was in my shop these are just a few of the questions I would ask before trying to diagnose your problem. Of course a road test would be in order before attempting any repairs.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:27 AM   #10

Properly mounting tires on rims does require skill. First are the red and yellow dots to guide positioning on the rim. Then there are the tiny concentric circles on the tire to guide the installer when centering the tire on the rim.

If a tire is not mounted correctly it may never run smoothly, or ever be balanced properly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires