Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 07:48 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Minnie Winnie Blues

We ordered a new 26T classC from Winnebago. Neither the factory nor the dealer did their promised predelivery inspection. We have had everything from broken automatic levelers to leaking windows and more. 3 months in the shop and dozens of phone calls to Winnebago and all still isn't fixed. There is NO pride in workmanship or acceptance of respondciblty anymore.
4 R LABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 10:49 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
I have heard the same comment.
raymphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:53 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Great choice. I wish that I had an OBG to keep. My 2022 Hurricane has been a nightmare.
raymphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:30 AM   #60

Thank you for the feedback. Good Lord, what is wrong with these RV companies?
Jim Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:32 AM   #61

That is terrible.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:00 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rose View Post
Thank you for the feedback. Good Lord, what is wrong with these RV companies?
Nothing new. Been like this for decades. It's ALL about making as much money as possible and pointing fingers to someone else (manufacturers and dealers)
Old 06-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 R LABS View Post
We ordered a new 26T classC from Winnebago. Neither the factory nor the dealer did their promised predelivery inspection. We have had everything from broken automatic levelers to leaking windows and more. 3 months in the shop and dozens of phone calls to Winnebago and all still isn't fixed. There is NO pride in workmanship or acceptance of respondciblty anymore.
I couldn't agree more. Tiffin's Quality Control is Non-Existent. We purchased a 2022 Allegro Bus 35CP in May (VIN 5VBBA27A7NA122525) to replace our 2014 Phaeton 40QBH which we purchased new. We used the 35CP for 1 week and it's now been at Lazyday's for over 2 weeks. With a list of 63 items which need attention it will probably be there for many more weeks. Some of the issues are major and there are tons of cabinetry defects. We were first attracted to Tiffin motorhomes because of the quality and workmanship they put into their cabinetry. In all honesty we wish we could get our money & our Phaeton back. I have pictures of everything to back up my claims. I really can't believe the coach was even allowed to leave Red Bay with so many issues.
Not a happy camper
RonD
clafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #64

We have had expensive new rigs with a bunch of flaws that were identified during the first significant trip. But nothing like yours - thank goodness. Sounds like we need an RV lemon law for situations like yours.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:28 PM   #65

I don't think that the quality of RVs has really gotten any worse. It's the customers! More customers are now online and talking to other customers miles away. It didn't used to be like this. And I don't think half of people who own RVs are on RV forums or other internet groups. There are many more customers that have access to computers and are comfortable using them than there was 20 years ago, 30 years ago or 40 years ago. Even now, there are plenty of people in their 60's that still are not comfortable using a computer. Who do they complain to? Just their little local bunch of acquaintences. Not people all around the world. The internet has shrunk our world and, in the process, is showing customers has placed manufacturers and dealers under a bright light with a magnafying glass.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:40 AM   #66

Thumbs up On your Tiffin Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by clafro View Post
I couldn't agree more. Tiffin's Quality Control is Non-Existent. We purchased a 2022 Allegro Bus 35CP in May (VIN 5VBBA27A7NA122525) to replace our 2014 Phaeton 40QBH which we purchased new. We used the 35CP for 1 week and it's now been at Lazyday's for over 2 weeks. With a list of 63 items which need attention it will probably be there for many more weeks. Some of the issues are major and there are tons of cabinetry defects. We were first attracted to Tiffin motorhomes because of the quality and workmanship they put into their cabinetry. In all honesty we wish we could get our money & our Phaeton back. I have pictures of everything to back up my claims. I really can't believe the coach was even allowed to leave Red Bay with so many issues.
Not a happy camper
RonD
So sorry to hear of your troubles with Tiffin. Our situations are almost identical. All we know right now is that our Fleetwood has been under repair for almost 4 months and will now be sent back to the factory for a huge repair. I am so frustrated. We have received good, honest treatment from the dealer service manager. That is the only thing that keeps us from going to the press. Thanks for sharing your situation. Maybe we will get a good RV eventually.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:43 AM   #67

Tiffin

So sorry to hear of your troubles with your Tiffin. Sounds pretty similar to our situation. It is so frustrating and disappointing. At least we have received good and honest treatment from the service manager of the dealer. The Lemon Law folks have helped also. Maybe we both will have a good RV eventually. Thanks for sharing your issues.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:42 PM   #68

"I don't think that the quality of RVs has really gotten any worse."

While the internet does provide a new platform, there have been other substantial platforms in the past. An example was Motorhome Magazine who helped disgruntled motorhome owners be a voice and helped trying to resolve issues. In many, many years of reading that magazine I never saw people writing in with laundry lists of complaints. Good Sam's magazine did the same.

My 40 years of adult RV purchases and use says that the initial quality of new units is down materially...service even worse.

As a person in my 60's, all I can say is EVERYONE my age, and even much older, I know uses the internet freely. Computers???...too old school...they use their cell phones and/or tablets! :-)
Old 06-28-2022, 08:58 PM   #69

I did an informal survey over a period of a couple of years. At campgrounds I asked many, many people with new rigs (travel trailers, 5th wheels, vans and both gas and diesel motorhomes) if they'd had any issues with them. Not ONE SINGLE OWNER said that they had zero (0) complaints. I've talked with Good Sam, I've talked with FMCA, and I've talked with LOTS of owners. NO group will stand up for us - the purchasers of these rigs. When are WE, the folks who provide the funding to manufacturers, the ones who spend OUR MONEY to buy these numerous faulty products going to band together and MAKE THESE MANUFACTURERs build quality products??!! This is a ridiculous, on-going, never-ending problem for us, and we keep taking it!. Shame on us. I've owned two new rigs - problems. Have purchased two used rigs. Problems. One slide on my Dutch Star diesel pusher has required major work on three different occasions. (Newmar left two set screws out when they manufactured the unit.) It's a crying shame that we have to REALLY love this lifestyle to continue to put up with these problems. Yes. I'm mad about it. Is anyone else? Where are our RV organizations. They should be fighting for us, but none, that I know of are doing that. Where is our advocate? Who will be our advocate? We need a place we can all band together and stop this nonsense. That's my two cents worth.
cdarmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:16 AM   #70

I read a very interesting post some years ago regarding the lack of quality control in guitar manufacturing directed at CF Martin and Company, a major US manufacturer. The gist of the post (and this is from memory) was that the human beings manufacturing these instruments are not capable of 100% perfection. It is an ideal that is rarely achieved by human hands! So the manufacturer has to decide what its goal is and try to establish statistical methods and quality control points along the way to achieve this goal. For example, if we were shooting darts, we may achieve 2 or 3 bullseyes in 10 shots with the rest being distributed throughout the board. If our goal is to shoot bullseyes, we may only be able to do this 20-30% of the time. Most of the shots will not be perfect. So the number of times we miss and by how much will give us some idea of how good the process is. The point being that if every manufactured product that is less than 100% was rejected, we would reject more than we accept. So the builders have to decide what the acceptable variation from 100% is and design their process so their product falls within this range.

I am NOT a quality control expert but I can see that a motorhome is an extremely complex piece of machinery and obviously the people who build them are not capable of perfection. We can't have quality control inspectors present every time someone tightens a screw. So maybe the builders have decided that somewhat less than 100% perfection is OK. Combine that with the fact that they do not intend for most of these things to be permanent residences or handle like a Porsche. In addition, some of our complaints may be a little unreasonable at times. I think that, if the manufacturers goal was a little bit closer to perfect and their dealers were more customer friendly in the service department we could arrive at a happy medium. My motorhome has been a bit of a nightmare but I am sure there are others who have an average to excellent experience with theirs. As long as we keep buying them, we will continue to get the good and the bad. The problem is that there is no system to deal with the bad ones in most of the country....a lemon law for RV's may be a step in that direction.
Jssr is offline   Reply With Quote