Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Under $12000

I plan to go on a 6 months mission for work and calculated my needs, a class A would be perfect and paid off in a couple of months...

What would be the best choice to live in for that kind of budget ?

Thank you for your kind answers, I'm new to RV's and would like to have an experienced point of view.
Frenchie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

A Class A for under $12,000...?
That is a hard one for a RV that won't be a money pit...but maybe?
A Class C could fit that price point better, IMHO.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will have to turn over allot of rocks to find a gem for 12K and under. They are out there, you just need to search for them. Private parties would be the first bet, then dealers. As always, check NADA for base values and for comparable s, look at wanted ads.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:17 AM   #4

Don't bother to look in TN for one that price. It wouldn't be worth the tow charges to get it home, if you could stand the smell.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard. Take a look at rvt.com and put in the requested fields. Good luck and hope you find one that works for you. One thing, have it inspected by a "qualified" technician being you are new to rv-ing.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:19 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
They can be had, but it could take time. One of the big advantages we have when we buy used is a historical track record of the chassis and coach manufacture.

ALSO - since you are new to this game - you probably have no idea if this fits your lifestyle, so entering in at the lower end of the market, you will not have a big investment if things don't pan out.

I recommend start looking now, I am very good at mechanical stuff, I fix everything myself, I have the tools, knowledge, and experience to work through almost any problems. If you have these same skill set, you will make a sweet deal that you will be happy with.

Avoid getting emotionally involved, do not buy the first thing that you look at, HOWEVER, be prepared to jump when a good deals shows up, BUT, it must fit your evaluation of facts, not emotion.

The last one is the hard one - Whats a good deal?

Learn what to look for, be ruthless in your negotiations. The seller wants to get the most out of it, you want to spend the least. After you've looked at 6-10 of these, you should have a good idea of what your dollar will buy.

There is a a vast difference in manufactures and systems - The Mirada we bought is a very basic MH with basic systems. You will see this in your search

You are looking in the same price range that I operate in. I was able to locate a very nice unit (needed some minor work and upgrades). The seller wanted 21k. I drove it home after giving him 13k in cash. I wrote a short article on our Search:

http://www.2001mirada.com/the-search/

While you're on my Mirada web site, look around and you'll some of the problems and issues I ran into. You will see many of these same issues in your search. I knew about most of them from our pre-purchase and negotiations.

Older vehicles - very basic what needs to be looked at.

1) Water damage - mushy, water stains, delaminations, walls splitting and flaking.

2) Windows, roof vents, roof, sealed and no leaks.

3) Major components functional - frig, furnace, water heater (water systems) Air conditioner, generator

4) Vehicle functional - Research the chassis types, learn what their historical problems are. Periodic and preventative maintenance currency.

5) Tires - major cost item.

6) Time of Year - fall / winter is best time to buy, prices are lowest, spring is worst.

6) Location - Southern states seem to have greater inventory, lower miliage, and lower prices.

Start looking, learn as you go, If you are a smart buyer, you know what to look at, you know what the costs associated with what your looking at, you will find a great deal and know exactly what you got into.

If you get emotional and jump on the first thing that goes by, you will be deeply in debt with a money pit that is constantly breaking down.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #7

Waiter21 is right. Deals are out there, you just have to find them and know what you can and cannot fix. I bought my MH over 2 years ago. The seller wanted 24k but the generator, slides and jacks did not work. After some tough negoitiations, I ended up driving it away for $10k. For the repairs, $20 worth of fuel line fixed the generator and for the slides/jacks, I eventually figured out that someone had replaced the electric motor in the hydraulic system and reversed the motor connections (it was spinning backwards). I reversed the leads and all was well. The family and I have greatly enjoyed being a part of the MH community and it cost us less than a new Hyundai. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Don't bother to look in TN for one that price. It wouldn't be worth the tow charges to get it home, if you could stand the smell.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #9

There used to be a saying among Porsche owners, there is no such thing as a $10,000 911, because before you knew it, you had $25,000 into it. I would think there is probably a similar correlation to buying a MH. It just seems to me that the chances of finding a suitable Class A or even C to live in for $12k is going to be a long and frustrating, if not impossible search.

Just from a general observation, the vast majority of $12k MHs of any type, is probably at best a low cost hang out to take to races, the beach, or fishing in the back country for an occasional weekend without having to worry about any collateral damage. Or, the foundation for a very expensive restoration.

Sure, there are exceptions to be had as noted above, but it's not going to be an easy or quick search.

Not to mention, that you have to add in a tow set up for your car, probably new tires, etc, so all that is is going to add up to $5k minimum additional expense right there.

If $12k is your all in budget for something you could possible live in for any length of time, I would suggest a travel trailer and build in something to get an appropriate tow vehicle.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #10

Beaver Pusher

Here's a Beaver pusher with 14k miles for under $9,000:

diesel pusher beaver 14000 original miles
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote