Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #15

Polycor: Looking at the 1CM w/ carbon fiber on the backside to reduce weight. Still researching though.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #16

Looks like Polycor goes from $12.20 / sq ft to $30 as raw material.
Comes in 6'x10' slabs and other large formats that would need to be cut to need with a wetsaw.

the lighter 1 cm thick doesn't seem to be any less expensive than the typical 3 cm versions. And variety of stones is less with the thinner.

Getting some quotes for the 1 cm in the lighter colors to keep the space looking larger.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
your talking some serious pocket change for that floor.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
your talking some serious pocket change for that floor.
I guess it depends on whether it's
Just bedroom
Bedroom plus bathroom
Bed / Bath / Kitchen
Bed/Bath/Kitchen/Living
Bed/Bath/Kitchen/Living/cockpit

Ability to use a hard surface with the slides could be a big determinent
Old 01-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Remember to reduce your cargo capacity by the amount of weight your floor heating and new flooring will add.
Floor heating is not efficient and expensive to operate. Maybe 2-4 times as much as space heaters or propane furnaces.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Remember to reduce your cargo capacity by the amount of weight your floor heating and new flooring will add.
Floor heating is not efficient and expensive to operate. Maybe 2-4 times as much as space heaters or propane furnaces.
If I use the Hyrdrohot as the floor heat source, then it shouldn't be any more expensive than the current radiator. That is assuming I use insulation between the basement and floor...the same BTUs are being paid for, and used within the living space.

If switching to Electric...not sure as I don't know how efficient the Diesel fueled Hydroheat is....my fingers are crossed that I still have some Diesel fuel in the tank since it has been running a month in record cold temps.

My bedroom is currently carpet so yes, this will add some weight. But the Sq footage is really small. The bathroom is currently tile so the Polycor might be similar weight...more research required.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
thanks for that. My carpet's got to go also. I can't find replacement tile to continue the tile from the galley forward, and I'm a little concerned about adding all the weight if I did tile everything. Many people are going to the LVT, but I'm leaning towards the engineered wood.

Also of concern is if the heated flooring stops working, it's not practical to tear up your flooring to repair it.
I would never say never Bill The only thing under the floor is the cable with no splices or connections of any kind. The likelihood of that wire being cut is really very small. Unless, of course, it is under my floor.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #22

Quincy - if Vinyl...would that be glued down to the existing subfloor? If the heat cables are inbetween...what will you use to even things out? A new layer that the cables nestle into? And the vinyl will glue to that?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Quincy - if Vinyl...would that be glued down to the existing subfloor? If the heat cables are inbetween...what will you use to even things out? A new layer that the cables nestle into? And the vinyl will glue to that?
The Vinyl floor we are considering is floating Dav. I think I know what you are suggesting and I share your concern. If the vinyl rests on the wires and is then heated will it swale between them. One of the floor planks is very thin and I would be concerned that would happen. The other is much more sturdy and thicker and I am concerned it would be too high for the slide to work properly especially with the wire underneath and possible insulation. Then there is the insulation which when used with the thicker vinyl will definitely too high for the slide. It would be nice to put the wire between the insulation and the floor tiles where it would create its own indentation in the styrofoam. So much to consider my head is hurting.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #24

Can you put insulation on the top of the baggage compartment, under the floor? I would think 1 inch of double foil layered foam from HomeDepot et al would do just fine. I think that is about R6 or so. Use construction adhesive to apply. A trick is to put the glue in a circle...that circle acts like a suction cup to keep the insulation "up" while it is setting. I would probably also put some cutoff insulation to the baggage floor to prop up the insulation while drying. Certainly start in the farthest corner and work yourself out. The insulation strips no wider than the doors.

My slide has rollers that runs ontop of the carpet. It has indented the carpet / padding along it's track. That tells me the thickness is somewhat critical.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Can you put insulation on the top of the baggage compartment, under the floor? I would think 1 inch of double foil layered foam from HomeDepot et al would do just fine. I think that is about R6 or so. Use construction adhesive to apply. A trick is to put the glue in a circle...that circle acts like a suction cup to keep the insulation "up" while it is setting. I would probably also put some cutoff insulation to the baggage floor to prop up the insulation while drying. Certainly start in the farthest corner and work yourself out. The insulation strips no wider than the doors.

My slide has rollers that runs ontop of the carpet. It has indented the carpet / padding along it's track. That tells me the thickness is somewhat critical.
When looking under the coach I do not see how I can do the entire floor without using pretty small pieces, even then I wonder if I can get at all the floor. I would be concerned about rainwater getting into the insulation. If I am familiar with the product you are suggesting.

Tags
floor, heat, heating