Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #1

Underbody LED Lights boogie lights vs Amazon?

We have the strip under the awning but it gets too bright for our camping buddies which is usually our neighbors. I’d like to add some underbody color LED strips so we can light up the ground. I see there are lots of choices out there.
Boogie lights $250 for the entire kit
Amazon LED strip. $40?

Anyone have experience with why they are priced so much different?
walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #2

Do you have more specifics ie: which "boogeylights" and which "Amazon lights" that you are comparing? There are zillions of possible answers so far.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I installed LED strips under our awning. They are multi-color, programmable, and dimmable. I leave them on full brightness until about 10PM, then turn them to white and dim to about 50%. Makes a nice nightlight without disturbing the neighbors!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/got-m...ed-227755.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #4

There are waterproof RGB + white light strips. Remote control. They look the best IMHO. Most dimmable.With IR and WiFi remotes. From DIY to expensive RV.and.boats and home kits.
So far I have only just shopped for and watched a bunch vids
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Do you have more specifics ie: which "boogeylights" and which "Amazon lights" that you are comparing? There are zillions of possible answers so far.

Exactly. I’m saying a boogey light rv Kit is $250. I can buy the same strips about the same lengths for $40 off amazon.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I installed LED strips under our awning. They are multi-color, programmable, and dimmable. I leave them on full brightness until about 10PM, then turn them to white and dim to about 50%. Makes a nice nightlight without disturbing the neighbors!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/got-m...ed-227755.html

That’s what I’m looking for. Did you buy anything specific or just general led?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walte1fr View Post
That’s what I’m looking for. Did you buy anything specific or just general led?
You need to buy the brightest LED RGB LED strips, which at that time was using the 5050 LED's. There may be something brighter now. Be sure to buy the waterproof strips.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #8

And please always glamp in RV Resorts among like-minded people and leave campgrounds to those who love and appreciate the wonderful views of the universe.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Rock lights

I just installed the RGB 8 Pod Rock lights , they were easy to install look great and can be dimmed w/remote ,water proof shock proof and dust proof we will see haven’t gone anywhere yet . Amazon for $99
Old 04-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by walte1fr View Post
We have the strip under the awning but it gets too bright for our camping buddies which is usually our neighbors. I’d like to add some underbody color LED strips so we can light up the ground. I see there are lots of choices out there.
Boogie lights $250 for the entire kit
Amazon LED strip. $40?

Anyone have experience with why they are priced so much different?
Could be quality of manufacture, quality of packaging, quality of waterproofing, could just be marketing. Some low priced strips are single color. Some have no remote. Some have no waterproofing. Some are made for mounting inside other housings (I have some zero-protection white strips mounted vertically inside my RV closet corners). Something made for mounting under a kitchen cabinet or the top of the toe space pocket won't have the packaging needed to stand up to road dirt/gravel and road spray (especially the salt spray from road salt used in icing conditions found in the winter in the northern states).

Some are made to last... some are made to last to 1 day past the warranty.

Personally, I'd use 12 volt RGB (i.e. multicolor) LED units mounted in some kind of a durable protective housing then use the rubber-insert cable clamps to mount that under your coach (google the term "adel clamp"). And if I could find it I'd use the so-called "rope" light packaging...

And a remote... I don't need any dancing patterns... my Saturday Night disco days are long over... but the ability to select the color and the intensity would be mandatory...

I'd look at the warranty... if "Manufacturer X" only offers a 90 day warranty where "Manufacturer Y" offers a 3 year warranty that says something about what they think of their own quality level (this is why I spend more $ on disk drives with a 5 year warranty... my friends have been burned by 1 year drives).

And I'd power the new undercoach lighting from a switched circuit so you have a definite "off" function... one of the last things you need is to have it accidentally turn on and show a red or blue halo under your vehicle as you are driving down the road at night... In many areas the local gendarmes look askance at that kind of thing...
Old 04-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #11

Here's a couple different brands....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190414_115719809.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	241958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190414_115634273.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	241959
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
And please always glamp in RV Resorts among like-minded people and leave campgrounds to those who love and appreciate the wonderful views of the universe.

Oh we do turn them off when we go to bed.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgins95 View Post
I just installed the RGB 8 Pod Rock lights , they were easy to install look great and can be dimmed w/remote ,water proof shock proof and dust proof we will see haven’t gone anywhere yet . Amazon for $99

I saw those and thought about doing them. Do you have any pictures of how they turned out?
Old 04-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Could be quality of manufacture, quality of packaging, quality of waterproofing, could just be marketing. Some low priced strips are single color. Some have no remote. Some have no waterproofing. Some are made for mounting inside other housings (I have some zero-protection white strips mounted vertically inside my RV closet corners). Something made for mounting under a kitchen cabinet or the top of the toe space pocket won't have the packaging needed to stand up to road dirt/gravel and road spray (especially the salt spray from road salt used in icing conditions found in the winter in the northern states). Some are made to last... some are made to last to 1 day past the warranty.

Personally, I'd use 12 volt RGB (i.e. multicolor) LED units mounted in some kind of a durable protective housing then use the rubber-insert cable clamps to mount that under your coach (google the term "adel clamp"). And if I could find it I'd use the so-called "rope" light packaging...

And a remote... I don't need any dancing patterns... my Saturday Night disco days are long over... but the ability to select the color and the intensity would be mandatory...

I'd look at the warranty... if "Manufacturer X" only offers a 90 day warranty where "Manufacturer Y" offers a 3 year warranty that says something about their quality level (this is why I spend more $ on disk drives with a 5 year warranty... I've been burned by 1 year drives).

And I'd power the new undercoach lighting from a switched circuit so you have a definite "off" function... one of the last things you need is to have it accidentally turn on and show a red or blue halo under your vehicle as you are driving down the road at night... the local gendarmes in many areas look askance at that kind of thing...

Yeah I would hardwire in with a switch for sure. Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Tags
led, light, lights