Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #15

My vote is for a product like fluidfilm... It's like an oil that soaks into the rust and down into all the little cracks and crevices and then tacks up a bit. Makes it a little dirty to work on the undercarriage, but it does work well to slow down and prevent rust.

Around here, lots of people just have the underside of their cars oiled every year. I've used a mixture of oil and boiled linseed oil before, which works well but is a little more like paint. Lots of options for sure. Don't think I would ever put a rubberized undercoating on an already rusty chassis.

Best thing to do is keep your rv off of the salt covered winter roads. Although just sitting in the garage, I've noticed ours will see new rust here or there underneath. I oil it or fluid film it even though we don't use it in the snowy months.

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #16

Actually something I like better than fluidfilm is a Blaster product called Corrosion Stop. It's a marine grade corrosion inhibitor. Home Depot has it, but I've never seen it in anything other than a spray can.

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My CC came factory undercoated although some has been lost due to rocks and road debris. I bought a can of undercoating to touch it up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergirl View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. This is a 15 year old gas FWD unit and there is corrosion as you suggest. I will pass your comments on to the MIC (mechanic in chief aka my husband).
Short of a restoration, you'll want to do two things.

The corrosion needs to be addressed first. A good wire brushing to remove the scaling rust. Then an encapsulator such as POR 15 or even Rustoleum. It will block oxygen from the rust and shed the water.

As stated already products like Fluid Film are a seasonal answer to the component coverage area's. Fluid Film is lanolin based and will wear off based on exposure.

The Ole' Canadian answer of a mix of linseed oil and oil applied periodically would further protect the supporting components longer than Fluid Film.

I don't believe you can apply and forget it. There's too much money invested to not stay on top of this persistent issue.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:06 AM   #19

Fluid Film on all my vehicles also.Try Kelsport for FF and spray equipment.I also use it on battery connections.
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:34 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Short of a restoration, you'll want to do two things.

The corrosion needs to be addressed first. A good wire brushing to remove the scaling rust. Then an encapsulator such as POR 15 or even Rustoleum. It will block oxygen from the rust and shed the water.

As stated already products like Fluid Film are a seasonal answer to the component coverage area's. Fluid Film is lanolin based and will wear off based on exposure.

The Ole' Canadian answer of a mix of linseed oil and oil applied periodically would further protect the supporting components longer than Fluid Film.

I don't believe you can apply and forget it. There's too much money invested to not stay on top of this persistent issue.
I agree. I used a product called Chassis Saver. You still have to wire brush and remove all loose rust. I found that Chassis Saver was easy to apply and did not need the prep coat. Since it was under the MH, I was not concerned with UV protection.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #21

Wandering about undercoating also but for sound reduction inside coach.
aswit0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswit0001 View Post
Wandering about undercoating also but for sound reduction inside coach.

You don't have RV info in a signature, you might want to add that through the "User CP" in the top left of page.

For most Class A RVs, undercoating would do little to reduce sound because the actual floor of the RV is hidden by compartments, tanks, etc. I wouldn't think sound reduction to be a major reason for undercoating.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Personally I'd suggest Fluid Film, applied carefully to avoid anything that should not be coated (on my bus, apply only to the exposed frame and such).
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #24

I use rust check on mine. You have to apply it every year. It also helps keeping small rodents out.
Soppy is online now   Reply With Quote