RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #1

Underpasses

Hi everyone,

Is there an APP for low overhead clearances?

We need at least 13' to stay out of trouble. So far, the Interstates have posed no problem. I'm nervous as a cat at a fireworks show on secondary roads. Again, no problems so far.

Thanks in advance!-Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #2

Underpasses

Check out:

www.lowclearances.com

Not an app, but customizable, and the data can be imported into your GPS, or even into Google Maps.

On my GPS, I get warning of approaching low clearances. On Google Maps, it just shows the low clearance.

Iíve only loaded clearances less than 13 feet, but you can load all, or part, of them.

Most RV GPS units already have this, but this adds a lot more places to the list.
Blueknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #3

The tunnels on the Smokey mountain parkway will make you tail tighten up!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #4

Thanks for asking the question! I'm interested in the responses so far as well.

Probably didn't have this stuff several years ago, but it would have come in handy when I made a turn off a busy intersection in a town only to be faced with an underpass that only had a little sign on it and it indicated it was the same height as my 5th wheel. Well, I wasn't about to try that one, so had to have my wife get out to block traffic in the intersection as I backup up into it to go another direction. Oh what fun!!!
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight View Post
Check out:

www.lowclearances.com

Not an app, but customizable, and the data can be imported into your GPS, or even into Google Maps.

On my GPS, I get warning of approaching low clearances. On Google Maps, it just shows the low clearance.

I’ve only loaded clearances less than 13 feet, but you can load all, or part, of them.

Most RV GPS units already have this, but this adds a lot more places to the list.

Just a word of caution here. I tried that app several years ago and found that it would warn you of low clearances within the distance you set, even if the low-clearance was on a different road or street within that distance! They may have corrected that by now.

I would highly recommend you get a Truckers' Atlas that shows all the low clearances and other problems. Don't put your full trust in ANY GPS!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Buy yourself a GPS for RVing ( Garmin 770) and you can program in your height, length, and weight. Use it to plan your routes and you won’t go under a bridge too low, on a road too curvey, or over a bridge too weak to support you. Amazing things and they have been available for years.

Low clearances, btw, are very well marked. Truckers who greatly outnumber RVs, would prefer not to wreck their rigs.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Allstays has a nice app that will give you this info long with tons of other stuff
Old 07-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
Low clearances.... usually have no sign

I am certainly one who wants to be overly cautious... having put over 50,000 miles on a 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus which was about 12'10" meaning I needed a minimum of 13' clearance.

Used a Garmin DEZL which supposedly had all the stuff, but the simple fact is one has to be very cognizant of road improvements, i.e., adding new surfacing reduces clearances. Also, my experience was that any overhead with no marking was this way because the taller trucks hit the low clearance and knocked the signs off.

There is the Merritt Parkway which parallels I-95 in Connecticut... I have seen a new Tiffin Zephyr which lost its right roof rail due to the 10' or less clearance in the right lane... check the image... no warning sign I can see.

https://geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?cb_client...51794039709557

I think using multiple tools to plan carefully for the clearance issue is the best. When moving along at 60 mph, as in the above example, it is too late to try to stop in the right traffic lane avoiding the crash when everyone is moving at 60 mph and stopping will simply give you a different type of crash.
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I can attest that the Garmin RV760 will route you around what it sees as low underpasses, tunnels, etc. Last year on 101 in Oregon, there was a tunnel just south of where we were staying in Yachats that I had been through in the Jeep and knew it was okay for the motor home. But because the edge height of the tunnel was shown as 11'6" and the height of the motor home in the the GPS was 13'2" it insisted in routing us 50 miles out of the way around the tunnel. As you can see, just a foot inside the wall the tunnel height goes to 14'6 and is even taller in the center, but apparently in the GPS database it's listed as 11'6".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HW101-Tunnel.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	211327  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #10

I use an app on my phone Co-Pilot for trucks and RV. It takes care of the low clearance issues and also propane prohibited tunnels which we have here on the east coast. Coming back from Fl to NJ I tested it know full well that vehicles with propane are prohibited thru the Baltimore Tunnels. I normally take the Key Bridge(Francis Scott Key) but let the app route me and sure enough it routed me over the key bridge with the warning about the tunnels. You set up your vehicles dimensions(length, width, height, weight and beer type) and it routes accordingly. I believe I paid $35 for the app but still cheaper than a gps. However, the gps is not utilizing data usage of your phone and battery. I use it to set up my trip and route me but usually don't use for continuous gps.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #11

Underpasses

I read the warning signs. Has never failed!
Some may totally trust their GPS. Not wise to do

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #12

Sometimes I use Google Earth streetview to literally "read" overhead clearance signs.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use a couple of ways to make sure we don't have to think about it.

When planning out the route, we check a Motor Carrier's Atlas which does a nice job showing routes that will fit trucks. We are 12' 10" so no issues here.

While on the road, my wife uses Google maps and Allstays on her iPhone, but my old school ways won't go away: we keep that Motor Carrier's Atlas handy which gets pulled out whenever we want to avoid traffic or make a detour. Its just a few minutes to double check.

Why use paper maps? Very low power requirements, hasn't failed yet in terms of a GPS or wireless signal. I do technology for a living. Technology always lets you down at some point.

Also, we've found that if you stay to marked federal roads, whether that is roads like I-80 or US Rt 30, you generally find clearances low enough to be a problem. Again - I strongly recommend the double check!
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the Motor Carriers Atlas, and was disappointed because the maps are too small to be of much use (especially if one needs to leave the "major highway").

The entire state of PA is on one 8x11 page. So if I stay on the major highways and interstates, no problem, map shows clearances.

I would like a program that covers me if I want exit the Interstate onto a County Road or such.

I'll look into CoPilot (I also have the Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV (Navigation) but I would like a backup program just in case.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote