Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #1

Unequal pressure dual wheels

I am having work done by a spring company in PA. While on their site I found something very interesting. You might too. They have a kit to address the problem but my main reason for this post is to maybe enlighten others as I was. The section about Bridgestone's findings is the focal point.

Link Cat Eye System to monitor and maintain tire pressure
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not to denigrate the Cat's Eye product, but would you ever notice a loss of 86 miles of wear over a 35,000 mile period? Maybe a OTR trucker would cause he runs more than 35k miles every year, but an RVer???

I try to keep my duals within 1-2 psi of each other when I fill/check the air. Mine don't need constant attention (no slow leaks), so its not a problem to do do. If you have a tire that leaks constantly, a Cats Eye can help keep them equal, but you still need to check both regularly. Two low tires on the dual is as bad as one. Or you could get the leaky tire fixed...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

It's not about cat's eye

I'm thinking the Bridgestone findings are very interesting. It just happened to have been found on that page. Bridgestone is talking about friction and it's not obvious that it is happening. I can't even use the product on that page because I have simulators. I'm also thinking that single rear tire might really be a good idea.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:43 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I am having work done by a spring company in PA. While on their site I found something very interesting. You might too. They have a kit to address the problem but my main reason for this post is to maybe enlighten others as I was. The section about Bridgestone's findings is the focal point.

Link Cat Eye System to monitor and maintain tire pressure
due to the fact that my inner dual tires run several degrees hotter than the neighboring outer dual, my inner dual also has a corresponding higher pressure.
my tst system normally indicates a 3-5 psi difference. they start out the same when cold.
it looks to me like the cats eye system may have some value by keeping the pressures equal.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #5

Commercial Member

It might be better to spend $300 toward a TPMS system covering all your tires.

Nothing against Cat's Eye but if you get a nail in one tire you will have both go flat at the same time.

I think that knowing the inflation of your tires all the time instead of just before you start driving and only covering a very small part of the window of opportunity to suffer a tire failure.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #6

Losing pressure both tires-not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
It might be better to spend $300 toward a TPMS system covering all your tires.

Nothing against Cat's Eye but if you get a nail in one tire you will have both go flat at the same time.

I think that knowing the inflation of your tires all the time instead of just before you start driving and only covering a very small part of the window of opportunity to suffer a tire failure.

It doesn't allow both to go flat. Not that I really care. You know any TPMS does not do anything. It does not equalize pressure. I really don't think anyone who is watching his TPMS report constantly is going to stop when there is a 5 lb difference in pressure. I don't think you would either.

I really did not push cat's eye. Just an enlightenment of the not so obvious. That's my point. Equalized pressures will save some tire wear and will save some MPG.

Michelin has the same type of info as Bridgestone under the Fundamentals of tire Wear..
http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...entalsofTireCD
Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a crossfire system I am unable to install at this time (I may yet get the job done)

but one of the side effects of such a system

Not only does it equlize the pressure between the inner and outer dual

It makes it a WHOLE lot easier to check and add air if needed, I mean the system is worth it for just that feature if nothing else.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with wa8, the crossfire system is about half the price and does basicly the same thing. If one tire goes flat, the valve closes and you do not lose the air in the other tire. I had one on my last motorhome and I have just ordered a set for this new to me motorhome. The best way to install it is to take off the simulator hub, drill a hole in the side and mount the monitor witha bolt. You can get the crossfire system at Myers Tire and Supply on line for less than $80.
The come in increments of five psi. All you have to do is look at the guage when you stop and know you have the right pressure.
I lost an inner tire to deflation before I had the crossfires on my last mh. It was worth the money for the crossfire and no more lost tires.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #9

Commercial Member

OK Maybe I was wrong.
I just do not understand how a system that equalizes tire pressure will not let the tire with greater pressure flow to the tire with lower pressure.

If the unit only lets air into the lower but never out of the higher how would you bleed down one tire if you overinflated it?

I can understand howa check valve might work if there was a rapid loss of air in one tire but this does not answer the question of what happens if you are loosing 5 psi per minute or slower.

RE TPMS Didn't mean to imply you need to constantly watch the TPMS display, and yes I do not do that.
What I like and intended to point out is that a TPMS is monitoring all your tires all the time. If you get a puncture the TPMS should warn you before you loose all the air in that tire and suffer the consiquences which is loosing both tires. One from running flat and the other from operating 100% overloaded for some unknown number of miles.

If when inflating your tires you use an accurate and repeatable gauge (digital) you will have both at the same "cold" pressure. +/- 1 psi is easy to achieve.
What would cause the cold inflation in one tire to change (other than a leak which you need to investigate and fix).

I note that Michelin indicates dual tires should have less than 10% pressure difference. I would think that this whould be easy to be at less than 3%. Michelin also said Circumference difference of less than 3/4" or about less than 1/4" Dia.

The Cats Eye report of the Bridgestone report indicated that a 5/16" difference was possible with only a 5psi difference in inflation. This sounds a bit excessive to me and would not line up with the Michelin information. Over the next week, I will try and do a test myself on a 16" LTR tire to see the effect on OC vs inflation if I cannot find another source for this information.