Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 08:02 AM   #1

Uneven subfloor laying vinyl help appreciated

Hello everyone,

I am having another problem with this dang MH. I did not notice until i already got most of the bedroom floor in that there’s a jump in the subfloor near the cabinets which is causing one of my last rows to not click in properly.

Any advice on how to level the subfloor?

This is my first time ever laying flooring I’m not a pro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	365599  
NovaScotiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 08:31 AM   #2

Kind of hard to see the “jump” your speaking of in that picture.

How much is it uneven by?

If 1/16 - 1/8”, you could feather that edge down by sanding, starting about 5” away from the higher edge.
If greater that 1/8” or so, maybe remove some of the pieces already laid- then use some body putty to feather the difference from the low side.
Or, if greater than 1/8”, pull the newly laid floor up and cut a sheet of 1/8-1/4” luan to fit the lower area, then overlay the new flooring on top.

But only answering what the offset is there in the first place - like, is it due to swelling or does it provide a clearance for the slide or something.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've cut strips of tar paper to make a transition. You can use multiple layers, cut in different widths for more thickness.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #4

I can see the ripples as well as the black mold from a leak. Deal with the mold/leak first. After that, if the floor is solid, level off with a belt sander (not much) and then fill the low areas with wood putty. Then sand agan. Pull up the last 2 feet and use a 4 foot level to see where you need to start leveling. Or rip out the flooring and replace. I've seen worse but the black mold, and the buckled subfloor, is telling you there is or was a leak, that needs to be addressed first. Like I said, I've seen worse. It's not much of an issue to level it out. BUT, find out what buckled that subfloor first and deal with that.

Jim58
Old 05-17-2022, 03:04 AM   #5

I opened your pic in Paint and can not see the hump. Maybe I'm too old.

I am guessing you are laying vinyl not laminate flooring. You can shave the locks off one side of the row lock, apply glue to the joint, then install the row, Place weights on the seam if needed until dry. This technique is used by some around door ways and undercuts. I have used it with success in stick and brick.

You tube video:

Technique is shown about 5 min into the video.

I have also spot glued the last row when needed with out movement issues.

As posted above, I would try to first eliminate the hump if possible, depends on how big it is. Depends on it being a "step up" or hump in the decking field or seam. I would shim (tar paper) or feather with floor leveler in a step up situation, grind/sand down a hump. fill a low spot with self leveling floor patch.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:22 AM   #6

Go to lowes or Home Depot and get a transition piece that matches your color. It will create a subtle flat transition between the two elevations. Not a threshold, but a transition.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:37 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Pull up some of it and go to HD and buy some floor leveler in the flooring dept. Spread it out with a trowel and let it dry. My need to apply a couple of coats to get it level.
J Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, vinyl