Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #1

Uneven tag wear - causes?

What would cause my passengers side tag to wear significantly more on the outside than the inside? Low pressure would cause more wear on both sides of the tire compared to the middle, right? The drivers side tag is fine...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #2

Generally it's an alignment issue. Are you sure the tag tires were not exchanged with the steer tires before you bought the coach? I had an alignment problem that worn down the outside of the front right tire. After an alignment, I swapped the tag tires to the steers. They had to be dismounted to do it, but it put like new tires back on the critical steers and the worn ones on the less important tags.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Generally it's an alignment issue. Are you sure the tag tires were not exchanged with the steer tires before you bought the coach? I had an alignment problem that worn down the outside of the front right tire. After an alignment, I swapped the tag tires to the steers. They had to be dismounted to do it, but it put like new tires back on the critical steers and the worn ones on the less important tags.

They are different size tires, so could not have been swapped. Iím bringing it in for engine/genny service today ... will ask them if they can take a look at it.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your wear is probably normal.......A couple of things, are you putting the tag dump switch into AUTO when you drive the coach? That takes the pressure off of the tag tires when you turn.

Second, you make probably twice the amount of slow right hand turns as you do left turns, which are typically faster and in a wider arc. The right hand turns put that driver's side tag under pressure to drag a little and chew the outer edge, especially if the switch is not in AUTO.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Your wear is probably normal.......A couple of things, are you putting the tag dump switch into AUTO when you drive the coach? That takes the pressure off of the tag tires when you turn.

Second, you make probably twice the amount of slow right hand turns as you do left turns, which are typically faster and in a wider arc. The right hand turns put that driver's side tag under pressure to drag a little and chew the outer edge, especially if the switch is not in AUTO.

This is new to me, so I donít know what the previous owners did. I have been driving in Auto for the tag, but it has only been one 3 hour drive.... maybe Iíll just keep an eye on it
Old 05-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #6

I would think all tires would be the same size, is this done often, smaller tires on tag.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I would think all tires would be the same size, is this done often, smaller tires on tag.

No ... big honking tires on the steers. Duals and tags are the same size though
Old 05-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #8

It could be that the air pressure wasn’t correct.
I would weigh it, adjust the pressures to the tire manufacturer chart.
Always weigh with a full tank of diesel.
I go by the chart and add 5 lbs all around for added fresh water (800 lbs)
If you have the wrong pressure you will wear Your tires fast
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #9

I too suspect alignment. Aligning only the steer tires is only half the job, the rear axle(s) must also be aligned, it's called thrust angle/total alignment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The right hand turns put that driver's side tag under pressure to drag a little and chew the outer edge, especially if the switch is not in AUTO.
oh well .... I need to take the thing in for new steer tires anyway .... same place does alignments. I might as well get it checked (better safe than sorry).

QUESTION - how do you tell if the tag dump is working????? when I hit the manual dump, I hear nothing, see nothing, feel nothing.....
Old 05-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #11

Alignment,

Doesn’t your coach have the passive tag steering?
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Alignment,

Doesnít your coach have the passive tag steering?

It does. I have no idea whether that changes the alignment issue, or whether it changes the point Dutch star don made about more frequent right turns and this being normal wear.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm guessing you're on a Spartan chassis. On the Dutch Star, you can dump the tag manually and get a light to come on the dash, that says "Tag Dumped"

In the photos below........ the first tire is the driver's side tag, you can see some wear on the outer edge. This is what happens to a tag. Mine has passive steering and the tag dumps at low speeds, yet the tire will still scuff and chew off the edge. My tag is in perfect alignment.

The second photo is the outside driver's dual, the edge is crisp and sharp.

I don't know what your tires look like, but I've seen some with 1/4" chunks missing. Your coach has passive steer, but it still can chew the edges of the tag tire, especially if you have some miles on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210503_150956.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	327171

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210503_150959.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	327170
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:00 PM   #14

Don ... freight liner chassis. Interesting notes on wear- I have no idea what to expect, so thank you. Best way to describe this is not chunks on the edge of the tire ... but rather consistently more wear as you measure from the inside to the outside of the tire