Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

Exclamation Unknown Power Issue

HI everyone - I am very new at this but I need some good sound advice. I have watched this forum for quite awhile and very impressed with how MHers stick together; really impressed. Here is what I have.

I have a 98 bounder with 2 batteries located in the front of the MH under the drop down hood. My chassis battery will not start the MH. I had the battery replaced by Camping World about 3 weeks ago and it is now dead. I went this morning and exchanged it for a new one. I attempted to charge the previous new one but it still would not start the MH. The new one I got this morning is the same as the previous new one. I am currently hooked to 120 power that I had installed to a box next to the MH where I park it. The 120 power is on a separate 30 amp breaker (I don't believe this is even relevant). I cannot figure out why the new battery will not start the MH. When I attempt to start it - it just winds down like a dead battery. I have power to everything else (refrigerator, microwave, ACs, etc...). At one point - it started clicking like a dead battery. I have a main and accessory switch located on the stairwell leading into the cabin. I have both switches on when I attempt to start it (if the main is not on - I have nothing not even ignition lights). I attempted to start it with the accessory battery and it would not start it either. I don't think it is a starter because it tries to turn over for just a second before the battery goes dead. Any thoughts? Do you think I have a short somewhere? Just no sure.
TerryHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most likely NOT a short. If shorted, you would have sparks flying and smoke coming out somewhere. It sounds like you have an OPEN -- something not making connection. The first thing to check is the ground cable from the chassis battery to wherever it connects to the vehicle's frame. Also check the power (positive) cable, especially where it connects to the starter.

I think you'll find either a bad cable or a bad connection somewhere.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I find all sorts of cable connections on posts working themselves loose for whatever reason. maybe check every connection you see for snugness. Could simply be a loose connection in the starter circuit.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Loose or corroded connection somewhere, at the battery, grounds or at the starter. It could also be the starter itself. Bad/worn out windings could cause this issue.
Vacationer49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #5

Just a little note. Just tightening a connection is not good enough! You need to take off or separate the connections and clean them with a wire brush or sandpaper and then reassemble them nice and tight. Corrosion forms inside where it is sometimes not visible.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryHunter View Post
......I have a 98 bounder with 2 batteries located in the front of the MH under the drop down hood. My chassis battery will not start the MH. I had the battery replaced by Camping World about 3 weeks ago and it is now dead. I went this morning and exchanged it for a new one. I attempted to charge the previous new one but it still would not start the MH. . ......Any thoughts? ....

Before you ever went to CW the first time, was your original battery just old and weak, or dead? What is it that brought you to CW? When was the last time everything worked normally?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:25 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had battery cables corrode inside the insulation bad enough to cause this problem. It will show some corrosion at the battery terminal that you can clean up but there can be a tremendous amount of corrosion inside the insulation that you can't see causing a loss of power from the battery and a loss of charge to the battery from the charger and/or alternator.

Alan

Alan Wilson

Tags
power