RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Updating our MH - asking for input

Hi,

We are looking to update our 2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y to something a bit newer, the same length, and that can seat & sleep 4 adults & 2 children.

We have narrowed our search down to:
Tiffin Allegro RED 33AA
Newmar Ventana 3412
Forest River Berkshire 34QS
The new coach can be in the model year 2016-2019 range.

I'm looking for input from owners of these coaches as to like/dislikes, problems or just overall comments about your coach. I'm particularly interested in folks who have a dinette (booth) and a pull out sofa - sleeps 4 adults and & 2 children and seatbelts for 4 adults and 2 children with car seats.

Thanks for your input,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

Only the Newmar has residential construction. Pair that with Comfort Steer also.
chrislis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislis View Post
Only the Newmar has residential construction. Pair that with Comfort Steer also.
Entegra also has hung wall construction since they bought out Travel Supreme which copied Newmar construction techniques.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Entegra also has hung wall construction since they bought out Travel Supreme which copied Newmar construction techniques.
Indeed, I was just responding to the three he posted. Berkshire really has no place in that comparison, however Newmar and Entegra (Aspire/Anthem/Cornerstone or Insignia which is no longer) use hung wall construction.
chrislis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We have had 3 Winnebagos, the last an '11 Journey 40L They were all great and we totaled about 175,000 miles with them. We especially loved the Journey, but the Entegra is so much quieter both parked and traveling it's amassing. The small Entegras are realy Jaycos, not Entegra Coaches, but the Ventana is built like the more upscale Newmars (hung walls)... Definitely Ventana!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NMBluept - We have a 2017 Ventana LE 3412 and spent a lot of time comparing that to the Tiffin RED 33AA. As you know the floor plans are roughly comparable. I posted several comparisons that you'll find if you search my posts on the Newmar owners' board. To summarize:

- Newmar feels "better built" overall, more solid
- Newmar has more windows/light
- Newmar is better insulated
- Newmar has the TV in a televator, across from the couch and chaise, Tiffin has the TV sideways so you need to turn your head to watch
- Newmar has a flat floor in the bedroom, Tiffin has a step in front of the closet
- Newmar has comfort drive (look for posts on that, or YouTube videos)
- Newmar can change or add just about anything you want if you're buying new, but looks like you're planning to buy used so not an issue except that there's no such thing as a "standard" Newmar
- Tiffin has the stronger engine and transmission
- Tiffin has a King bed (not sure for the years you're considering)
- Tiffin bathroom layout is better, with more counterspace and a larger sink

NOTE: the Tiffin has the King bed and larger bathroom because it's over a foot longer than the Newmar, Newmar is 34' and change, the Tiffin is almost 36'. We wanted a short coach (our second RV at 34') to get into State and County Park campgrounds with length limits and short sites and this was important for us, not sure if important to you.

We initially considered the Berkshire but after looking at several at a show crossed it off the list due to the lack of quality compared with Newmar and Tiffin. Purely subjective but JMHO. Same for the Winnebago Forza which you don't list but which has a 34' floor plan.

Lots of similar info/comparisons if you use the search on the Newmar and on the Tiffin boards.

Good luck in your search!
Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

Bruce,

Thanks for the excellent information. Sounds like we have similar needs for a coach. Our current coach is just under 35' and it suits our needs quite well. The primary reason for updating is to gain seating/sleeping arrangements for those occasions when kids & grand kids want to go "camping" with us. I had been leaning towards the Tiffin, but your input on the Newmar has caused me to reconsider.

Thanks,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Look long and hard at the Tiffin. Yes I am partial.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NMBluept - you specifically mentioned the 3412, which obviously I can speak to! However, you may also want to check the 3426 (or 3436 depending on the year) in the Ventana or Ventana LE line. It has a full-wall slide on the drivers side, and either a booth or a buffet table and chairs on the passenger side. The reason I mention is that for a 34 footer, the bathroom is slightly, but noticeably larger than on the 3412 (bigger sink, more counter top space) and it comes with a King bed unlike the 3412. We ended up with the 3412 as the front living area is pretty impressive for a coach that size, but you give up the space in the bedroom and bath.

You mention sleeping space; like many people we swapped the L-shaped couch for a sleeper sofa - we think it looks better and the bed is much more usable for guests. We've never used the buffet for guests to sleep, but I think it would only work for small children.

Momdoc - absolutely agree that Tiffin is a good coach and had several features that were subjectively "better" than the Newmar; but the OP is really asking about specific floorpans and there are some specific differences that I wanted to flag for him, in particular the length. I absolutely respect brand loyalty!

Good luck in your searching