Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #1

Updating Used MH Budget??

Being we have seen very few MH with the floor plans (recliners across from TV) that we want I am really thinking about getting a used one instead. I am a carpenter by trade and could do all of the interior modifications myself.

But to make the used MH as new and as safe as possible I need to figure out what to replace outside. This is assuming the chassis, motor, transmission, roof, etc. is in good shape. I automatically would figure in new tires and shocks.

I also have concerns about my driveway strength for supporting a motorhome. It is concrete and I am assuming it is 4" thick. Will this support a motorhome. To do this work I would need the MH at my house. Another concern that we have is finding a used MH that does not smell. We have looked at two local dealers and don't even get past the smell of the MH's. Is this normal and if it is how do you get rid of the musty/moldy/dirty smell?

Below is what I have figured so far. Some items have question marks instead of numbers being I do not know what it would cost. Please let me know what items I am missing. I am thinking around $15,000 as a budget.

Flooring, TV's/cabinets, carpet, window treatments, etc. $7,500
Tires $3,500
Shocks ??
Handling -air bags, steering modifications, etc. ??
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would think the remodeling could be done for much less than $7500 if you DIY. Even top quality materials shouldn't cost anywhere near that much. LCD tvs are no longer expensive either. I would guess more like $2500.

Tires: Depnds on size and quantity (tag axle or not) - the range is anywhere from $3000 to $6000. $3500 is the ball park for 6 of a relatively small size on an older gas chassis rig. On older diesel chassis would likely be $4500.

Shocks: Konis can cost a bundle but standard replacement shocks aren't bad. Figure $300-$400 for a set of four, plus labor if done by a shop instead of DIY. Koni's would double that figure.

Handling: May or may not be needed, but on a gas chassis coach something like a panhard rod (track bar) is not expensive and easy to install yourself. Figure $400.

As for your driveway, it depends on the weight of the chosen coach and the quality of the original construction. 4" of concrete with reinforcing rebar/mesh and a well-prepared base should be fine for 20-24k lbs, but just concrete poured on the ground after scraping off the grass probably will crack within a few months. Wet ground underneath, i.e. water draining through the soil under the slab, will probably be too soft regardless of construction.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Assuming the soil was compacted beneath the driveway before the concrete was poured, 4" is sufficient.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

What I hope to find is a gas model around 35' to 38' long. Our plans are if we find a new model we would put about $30000 down. But if we find a used one that I will need to do work on we would reduce the down payment by the amount I figured it would take to do the remodel.

I already have the extra TV's (32" & 40") and stereo equipment from where we downsized from two homes to one when I retired. So that expense would come down. I also figured I would replace the bed, but may take our bed from the S&B and get a new bed for the S&B.

What about batteries and changing out the fluids on everything (transmission, motor, generator, etc.)?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #5

Batteries, and baseline maint of fluids, belts, filters, etc. Can vary a great deal depending upon the actual coach.

Some gas coaches come with 2 6V Batteries stock, others come with 4. Or they could even have 8D 12V batteries, in some the higher end gas models. AGM vs wet would also make a difference. Budget could be under $200, to as high as several thousand.

As you are looking at used coaches, especially from private owners. You can get a feel for the type of maintenance they have done. Do not just take their word for this, but actually expect to see the doucmentation to back things up. If you do get a good feel for the maintenance being accurate and current, this becomes part of your choice on which coach to buy. IMO, I'd rather pay a few $K more for a coach with a current and documented maintenance history. Sure, you could still get a lemon, but chances are much better for you having a solid used platform to build off with a coach from an ownere that took good care of it.

Best of luck on your ongoing search!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

instead of spending 15000 on the mh and spending 15000 more on upgrades you could up the purchase to 20k-25k and you would end up with a better machine. you will have an easier time finding a good used unit at that price that hopefully has had all that stuff replaced or still in good cond. good luck on your search
winniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #7

I am looking at nothing older than 2005 preferably 2008 and younger. I have come across some great (in photos) older looking units around $50000.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #8

I think that you can find a REALLY nice coach if you take a little time to shop around. We just bought ours for about 15k under average NADA. It was a 1 owner coach with all the maintenance records and in really good condition. It is a 36' 2003 Itasca Horizon DP. The tires are good, everything works and the paint looks great… It was garaged, which I found makes a huge difference. We looked and looked, and found some that were really abused by previous owners… most older models had multiple owners, and as a rule, were probably in the roughest condition. There are some really nice coaches out there, and they are reasonably priced. You just have to do your homework and be willing to put some miles on your vehicle looking around. My budget went from $25k to $35k and finally up to $50k… Strange how that happens when you start looking around! "Drive out" on ours was slightly over that at $55 but we're super happy with this coach and I'm glad we decided to up our budget and get something that we love.
JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #9

I think so also. I have seen some great possible options that is making me wish I had the fiver and truck sold already. We have two trips planned this spring/summer already in our fiver and may try to sell it after that.