RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #15

Never heard of pulling the heads on a modern engine to remove carbon . There must have been some other reason. 3 years newer is not that much of a difference . There can be a lot of hidden problems that may not show up until you have owned it for a while.
We moved up to a 32' from a 27' and the difference in driving & parking was quite noticeable. Unless you really need the extra room , I would stick with what you have. Now if it were 10+ years newer , it would be worth considering.
Soppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #16

Carbon doesn't just appear and you clean it out. It's a huge red flag of improper maintenance. So much in fact that extended warranties are voided if there is carbon build up.

I'd keep looking.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #17

Having owned a 1995 Pace Arrow, I know that the "carbon buildup" head removal is my first red flag. Whether it's the Ford or GM, most likely the Ford, it will run hot. The more likely issue was something else or he had a history of driving it hard with a lot of engine knock.

The tires, he may have overpaid but he had to buy eight of them since it's a tag axle rig and they are likely 19.5" wheels. You should have 16" wheels on your existing rig which are far easier to come by and much cheaper.

The ethanol free fuel is another red flag. Who would sit and wait and fight to reach the one pump of ethanol free fuel, then pay nearly an 80% premium for it so he can still get 7 miles per gallon? It doesn't pass my smell test. My biggest issue is finding a place I can get into for fuel, I certainly don't go looking for organic bio-diesel with fragrance added.

As mentioned, 50 amp is better than 30 amp. As for the gensets, you're comparing 63.5 to 68 amps of power. Not a huge deal if they are both burning gasoline. If either is an LP unit, that's a different story and they shouldn't be. I'd side on the low hours unit.

Everything else seems to be the devil you know versus the one you don't. I think that the world is full of deals like the 37 and I would wait, instead I would go out and enjoy your 33 footer, discover what you like about the lifestyle and then consider the entire broad range of choices if you still want to upgrade.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #18
GKW

Pulling the heads to remove carbon buildup would be a red flag for me. There is no easy way to know exactly what was going on with that engine and it could wind up being a big expense. I would stick with the known.
GKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:46 AM   #19

I agree with others about the heads removal,, big red flag for me. They may have been removed but i'd bet you it was for something more serious.

Of course it is possible that a shady "mechanic" may have scared the naive owner into having the work done.

Tags
upgrade