Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
Hoping to find a good deal on a 38 or 40 footer for next season. Slides are going to help a lot. All of us in the RV is a bit challenging sometimes, especially when dry camping. It's just going to be a lot of money to shell out.

The toad is kind of intimidating. I am very used to being able to back up to clear a corner in a gas station or something like that. To be honest, I see so many people flat towing, and I just don't get how it's doable. Seems impossible to avoid a situation where I would have to back up (in front of traffic, other cars, etc.).

Just so you know if you do decide to get a toAd and you get yourself into a situation that you have to back up you will need to disconnect the car and move both vehicles separately.

Another thing perhaps you will find a 34 foot with slide outs will fit your needs.

Good luck
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #16

I'll do a lot of research over the next few months and enjoy the remainder of the season with my 34'. It's very challenging to find a good priced pusher for sale that's in the 38-40 foot range that doesn't have something wrong with it. Almost every listing I see has or had a roof leak, fridge doesn't work, paint peeling, and then a bunch of small things don't work along with it (backup camera, fantastic fans, microwave taken out, etc.). I don't mind working on the small stuff but I don't want roof leaks or non working fridges. If they are in working order then they want an arm and a leg even if it's a late 90s model. Affordable 40 footers are tough to come by in my area.

I would also consider a 34/35 with a couple of slides. But also tough to find for an affordable price.

The toad is just something I'd have to get used to. Even with my 34, if we plan to do longer trips, it would be convenient. My family and I enjoy going on short trips more often (3-7 days at a time, but once or twice a month all year round), but we're considering a cross country venture that might necessitate a toad.

Maybe I can borrow the hardware from someone I know and drive it on a 2 hour road trip and try to get around (get fuel, groceries, etc.). Although this might be tedious (brake setup, tow bars).
1993 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser diesel pusher, 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed Allison. I tend to act before I think. It gets me into trouble, and so I end up here in the forums asking for help. I learn the hard way. Thank you all for your help.
DarkVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I went from "couldn't spell RV" right into a 42 footer. Backing into a narrow slot is easier than fronting in, because of the geometry of the front wheels swinging the nose around the rear axle pivot point. I have a 12 foot door to back into and it is not a problem once you get set up correctly. We have the 60 degree wheel cut. Remember to dump the TAG, though I believe it is supposed to do that when you shift into reverse. BTW in Texas the first thing the license examiner made me do was to parallel park, before we did the rest of the test. Long story there! You will want a toad.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad