Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #15

Quote:
As far as maneuvering, if you get one with IFS, it will out maneuver a truck and traile any day.
I'm trying to learn from you guys. What is IFS and how does it work?
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #16

IFS is Independent Front Suspension. The Freightliner IFS chassis has a 60 degree wheel cut. The front wheels will turn to an angle of 60 degrees, which is VERY sharp.

With that kind of wheel cut, the 40+ foot coaches are surprisingly maneuverable. We have the Freightliner IFS chassis on our Mandalay. I am always amazed at how maneuverable it is for a large vehicle.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:11 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Independent Front Suspension gives you 5 degrees more steering angle than a solid axle but with 15+ more moving parts. When Over The Road trucks start using IFS I’ll consider it.
Safest plan is to go look in the car and then if you need to make a 2 point turn...backup slightly in middle of the turn the car is not attached.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went from N TX to WA. Last summer. Many parks were very tight for our 41'. 45' would be impossible even with sharper turning. Call ahead.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #19

If you are comfortable driving a longer coach, don't worry about finding a park that will accomodate you. I'm 43' plus an Avalanche toad and have always found a place to park and hookup. Even when towing a 26' enclosed trailer with a combined length of 73', only once did I have to park overnight at Walmart. Newer parks and additions to older parks and creating sites to handle the big rigs. Every year we meet a group of 16 off road Jeepers at a state park in Utah with 110' paved sites an 50 amp hookups. Just buy what you want and start having fun.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
We have never had issues finding parks to accommodate our 43'. Where we have had issues is race tracks. Gateway Motorsports Park max length is 40'. Since heading to races is our main purpose for year 1 - 3, it my become a problem.

I found San Diego RV Resort a little tight but we made it with a little back and forward and loved our stay. (we even extended and plan to go back)

We have also had a Costco or 2 that we have avoided due to our size but I think we have done the same in a 36'.

Make sure your tag axle actually dumps (ours doesn't) as it makes maneuvering easier in tight spaces.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
We've had a 45 Monaco for 8 years and now have 130,000+ miles on it. Only had to unhook twice because of tight turns. Lost a roof vent to trees on Petersburg Island while taking a ferry trip to Alaska with 8 island stops. For us we wouldn't have anything shorter. Just love the coach.

Down side is you pay higher tolls and have to purchase two additional tires. Fuel usage is a bit higher also.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #22

We haven't had any issues at all in over 100 parks the last three years. If they have 30 foot sites then they are way to close together so we don't even look at them.
If you are full or nearly full time the 40-45 foot size is the only way to go. We had a 42 foot Landmark and have a lot more room in the 43 foot Tuscany and it is easier to navigate with in any place we have been
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #23

One thing to consider could be the weight difference. My friends 40 ft rv weighs about 27,000 lbs. My 38 ft weighs close to the same. Some of the 45 ft tags weigh in at around 50,000 lbs. Depending on where you plan on camping, this might become a factor. I have heard of people with large coaches who wont leave the pavement or hard packed ground for fear of sinking it. I have not owned one, so my opinion can be taken for what it is worth.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #24

Just do it. Those who will tell you about all the problems generally have smaller rigs and they imagine the big rigs are problematic. Those who have the bigger rigs enjoy the heck out of them and don't worry about the every so often park that can't accept the size. I'd never go smaller than my 43'. Buy what you want and enjoy life. There are no do-overs. One shot is all you get.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:10 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
One thing to consider could be the weight difference. My friends 40 ft rv weighs about 27,000 lbs. My 38 ft weighs close to the same. Some of the 45 ft tags weigh in at around 50,000 lbs. Depending on where you plan on camping, this might become a factor. I have heard of people with large coaches who wont leave the pavement or hard packed ground for fear of sinking it. I have not owned one, so my opinion can be taken for what it is worth.
Unless there is a big difference in tire pressure it makes no difference. My highest psi (pounds square inch) is 105 and I weigh 45,000.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
There are camps that cannot accommodate 45' and they seem to be the ones we would prefer. There are some that have soft campsites. I've dug some good sized furrows at 47,000 lbs. but haven't been stuck yet. Fueling takes some research unless you want to go to truck stops, but the savings is substantial. Hopefully you get 150 gallon fuel tank with it. Power availability with 3 A/C units is sometimes lacking but usually workable. As a for instance, we parked in a Texas state park which had 50 amp service but was on a 70 amp breaker for two sites. Both campers at those sites had 3 A/C units and promptly blew that breaker. Only cure at 100º F was to move to another site shared by a smaller camper.

The every day comfort level of living in a 45' camper makes up for any length issues you run into once in a while, IMHO.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just had my rig weighed three day ago. Came in at 51,280 full fuel and fresh water. Still way under my 54,000 GVWR. Of course I'm over on the drive but way under on the tag.
So far I have found the 45' rig to be as maneuverable as my previous 40' non tag DSDP. I have a true lifting tag and close to 60° front turning angle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Just had my rig weighed three day ago. Came in at 51,280 full fuel and fresh water. Still way under my 54,000 GVWR. Of course I'm over on the drive but way under on the tag.
So far I have found the 45' rig to be as maneuverable as my previous 40' non tag DSDP. I have a true lifting tag and close to 60° front turning angle.
I thought all tags where "a true lifting tag". What is a non true lifting tag?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote