Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2022, 12:03 PM   #1

Urgent Question

Dear all I'm from the Netherlands and speak enough English but can't write it so have to translate via google. I have an urgent question that I have not been able to answer until now in the Netherlands and the USA. So please help. I have a 2005 Coachmen Mirada 340MBS Ford engine 10v cassie F35. I need an official document from say Ford or Coachmen, folder or something. Which states what my RV can pull, for example my boat trailer. It now has a trailer hitch from Hidden Hitch from Canada. But the Dutch state must have proof that the RV is allowed to pull a certain weight. Ford USA says they don't have that ??.If anyone can help me I'd be very happy. Because I'm not insured now and can't take anything with it. Please if you can have me please send to this mail address : <toohet@gmail.com > or whatsapp tel +31 6 54310562.
Regards Toon(tony) Theunisz Helmond-Netherlands
T Theunisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #2

I would suggest you contact Coachmen directly. Ford would have supplied the chassis, but would not provide specifications for the tow capacity of the finished product, as they cannot know what Coachmen might have done to the vehicle in the course of their manufacturing.

https://coachmenrv.com/contact-us
Old 03-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #3

That style of coach usually has a small plaque next to the driver that has the VIN number on it. You can google that number and you should find a document that shows the amount you can tow. It may also show weights and tire sizes and whatnot.

Also, check for a paper stuck to the inside of one of the doors or walls of a closet in the bedroom. They put all the weight info on that sticker. Required by law. Find that paper and it'll give your all those weights for your RV and you can calculate what it can tow if it doesn't say directly. You might have to do maths to come up with the tow weight. Note that most Class A's built in the US have at LEAST a 5,000 lb tow bar at the rear end. Many have a 10,000 lb bar.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The F53 is the base chassis supplied by Ford and used on class A RVs. This chassis has a maximum GCWR or gross combined weight rating based on the engine and rear axle gear ratio. The GCWR should be available from Coachman. and is the maximum that the RV and towed load can weigh.

There are two limiting factors as to how much you can tow. First you look at the tag in the motorhome that shows a GVWR or gross vehicle weight rating. The most that you can tow is the maximum weight of the motorhome subtracted from the GCWR unless you know the actual loaded weight of the RV when ready to travel.

The other limiting factor on what you can tow is the maximum as stated on the actual hitch. Some RVs come with a 5000# hitch and some with a 10000# hitch. You are not to exceed the lesser or the two, the hitch rating or the difference in GCWR minus GVWR.

In addition to towing a vehicle or trailer, you will need a braking system with a break- away switch on the towed load that meets the requirements of the states as you travel through them. Some require a braking system on loads over 4000# and some are as low as 1500#. It is better to be safe and have a braking system installed.

Best of luck in your travels,

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote