Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
USAA/Progressive and Umbrella coverage

I have Usaa for home and auto and umbrella, and went with Progressive (through USAA) when we got our MH last year. We recently received our Progressive renewal which increased 20%.

I did some pricing and found a much better deal with FCIS insurance. However I have had a hard time getting confirmation from usaa that they will renew the umbrella if I have a carrier other than Progressive for the MH. If they won't, I might get a much better deal if I move all my coverages from USAA. I have been with them for over 30 years and I am very happy with their service and price, so I'm not anxious to move.

Just curious to see if anyone is in the same situation and have their MH with someone other than Progressive and still keep their USAA umbrella.

Thanks
SATXJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #2

USAA MH Coverage

Patrick,
I've been a member of USAA for over 40 yrs. I had my previous MH insured for four years with USAA, and it was not Progressive. However it seems as though Progressive is the only MH carrier they have now and I won't use them. Seemingly our wonderful organization has gotten captured by liberals. I decided to go with Good Sam (National General). Costs were roughly the same. None of this changed any of my other coverages with USAA. If they try to sell me Progressive for my other vehicles I'll cancel and go with Travelers, they have special rates for AMAC members.
Semper Fi,
Bob
BobrUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
USAA/Progressive quote was $3600/yr , GEICO is $1050/yr. Same,coverage, 40'DP 2013. USAA member for 35 years.

Love GEICO!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #4

I have USAA Home/auto and umbrella with the MH and 1 car insured through GEICO. The MH used to be with Progressive, but GEICO was a fair amount cheaper.

They claim that I am supposed to have all vehicles through USAA (supposedly a "policy" thing vs a requirement in the umbrella contract), but they continue to renew the umbrella. The USAA/Progressive is not a good deal for the members.

David
2017 Sunstar 30T
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #5

Patrick,
Before you switch I'd suggest you call USAA and explain to them that Progressive increased your rate, and ask them if there's anything they can do about it. If they say 'No' then tell them you'll be canceling everything with them, and will be switching to whomever it is that is giving you a better rate. I did that once when I had a frustrating time with a new homeowners policy quote I received from them during a PCS move. I was so irritated that I actually wrote a letter in frustration to the Chairman of USAA (This was 10 years ago), and explained to him why I would be leaving USAA after nearly 20 years and stuck it in the mailbox. I figured I'd never hear anything, but boy did I feel better venting. Well, wouldn't you know it. Maybe a week later I received a letter in the mail from USAA. It was a short letter from you guessed it - the Chairman of USAA expressing his concern at my frustrating experience. He said that I would be hearing from them shortly to discuss my concerns. A few days later I received a phone call from a VP who asked me to go over the numbers that I was looking at comparing USAA to a competitor. I'll just say that USAA went above and beyond anything I'd ever imagined. That's why I'm still with USAA today. I'm sure I probably pay a bit more than I would if I shopped around, but I've been treated very well by them, and I like knowing that if I have to file a claim (yes, I've had a couple over the years, including a totaled car involving my son in college) that they will step up to the plate and be there when I need them.

I guess my whole point is that before you go pulling the plug on them because you're frustrated - give them a chance to keep your business.

As far as the umbrella - when I insured my RV I received some information from USAA telling me what the minimum insurance coverage amounts needed to be on the RV to keep my umbrella policy in effect. I don't recall it saying that I had to insure with a specific company, but I have progressive, so it didn't really matter.

Kirk
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
I have USAA Home/auto and umbrella with the MH and 1 car insured through GEICO. The MH used to be with Progressive, but GEICO was a fair amount cheaper.

They claim that I am supposed to have all vehicles through USAA (supposedly a "policy" thing vs a requirement in the umbrella contract), but they continue to renew the umbrella. The USAA/Progressive is not a good deal for the members.

David
2017 Sunstar 30T
You don't have to have all policies through USAA for the Umbrella coverage, you just have to meet the minimum liabilities required by USAA with the non-USAA policy.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #7

I had Progressive. They also raised my premium 20% for no reason. Cancelled and went to national General.
Rivrman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Progressive has responded quickly and was easy to work with when I needed their services. The body shop was very pleased to hear that I had Progressive rather than some of the other companies (they didn't specify which ones). I also have USAA for home and auto coverage.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the input!
I have tried calling USAA but the best they could give me over the phone was that underwriting would review as it came up for renewal if I had someone other than Progressive. I currently have a request in to underwriting to verify.

Sounds like they will likely renew the umbrella as long as I have the required 250/500 limit.
SATXJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #10

I had Progressive through USAA for 2 years and then they decided to jack my ins up to $980. I heard on here to try the Hartford through AARP (ugh).

The Hartford is just about half as much as Progressive was. So I reluctantly rejoined AARP and now have my motorhome ins through the Hartford.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have progressive through USAA. They have a good fulltimers package and have had great service when needed. A slight increase at my last renewal, but still worth keeping.
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #12

USAA insures our RV with our auto policy with full coverage and they do not require us to use an affiliate. From what I understand that may be a state requirement? (NC). We are about to upgrade and I will be comparing policies soon. Have been with USAA for 27 yrs and have been very glad any time a I actually needed them. Had the Hartford for a brief time and went back to USAA very quickly.
JJPP17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Progressive/USAA beat Geico, Mercury, and State Farm - for us (home and auto w/USAA).

We did an extra in-depth shop around last year, like the first year with the motorhome because of a $60 rate increase...found it was a uniform increase with all providers.

It might be different if we moved auto too...but that's not happening.

Oddly, USAA covered our previous TT (we owned both the MH and TT for a few months during the TT's sale process)...but said "see our Partner for the motorhome".

I submit that each individual's situation must be seen differently by the underwriter.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #14

Premium pricing has always been a bit of a mystery to be--I've lost track of the number of times I have heard about the "incredible rate I got when I changed to Company X." Problem is, you don't know how good the insurance policy is until you have a loss--then it is too late. I've been with USAA going on 40 years, fortunately I have an older rig and, therefore, an old USAA-based RV policy. I have had relatively few losses over the years but each time, USAA stepped up, no problems. As for liberalism, I see that as a personal choice--so is choosing to do business with Progressive, Costco, and most recently--Camping World......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover