Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Use levelers while in storage?

Do you use them? Is it beneficial for tires? Are there drawbacks? Does the storage surface make a difference? Would it make a difference whether in storage for a week or a couple of months or more? Inquiring minds want to know.
Cairnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #2

I use the levelers or stabilizers 100% of the time when the unit is not rolling down the road.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
100% here when not rolling. Even when in the S&B shed, dump the bags and push the leveler button. Also, when in the shed, I roll the tires up on horse stall mats (get from Tractor Supply and cut your own wheel sizes), incase something leaks. It won't come in contact with the tires and ruin them. Got that idea from these forums.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

I normally park the rig for storage, hit the level button then dump the airbags.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairnwalker View Post
Do you use them? Is it beneficial for tires? Are there drawbacks? Does the storage surface make a difference? Would it make a difference whether in storage for a week or a couple of months or more? Inquiring minds want to know.
For winter storage I raise the coach up as high as it will go (tires off the ground) and put a set of heavy duty jack stands under the frame and then retract the levelers, that way weight off the tires and bags and the jacks are retracted so they will not rust. My jack stands are 8 ton each.

jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Others, I've read, dump the airbags, place woodblocks under the jacks which are 1-2 inches below the jacks. Then the jacks are only extended that much when activated. Some even put blocks 2-3 inches below the jacks BEFORE dumping the airbags. Then, when the bags are dumped, the jacks sit right down on the wood...no extension required. Lots of ways.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow. A lot of great ideas. I always thought that it would benefit the tires, but I hadn't put as much thought into protecting the jacks as others obviously have. Thanks everyone! Love this forum.
Cairnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
For winter storage I raise the coach up as high as it will go (tires off the ground) and put a set of heavy duty jack stands under the frame and then retract the levelers, that way weight off the tires and bags and the jacks are retracted so they will not rust. My jack stands are 8 ton each.
jaywolf ; JMHO, I would think that placing the jack stands as close as possible to the leveling jack location on the frame , would put less stress on the chassis frame than the location shown in your picture. The current location could be bending the frame up ; at the rear in particular.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #9

Pads on the ground, dump air, extends the jacks all the way.
The shafts on these hydralic cylinders are chrome which means they won't rust.

Have you ever noticed construction equipment parked? Are the hydraulic cylinders extended?

Taken from HWH Frequently Asked Questions:

Vehicle Storage Information Concerning HWH Equipment

53. Can I store my coach with my jacks extended?
Yes, this will not hurt the system.

54. How long can I leave my coach parked with the jacks extended?
As long as you want. We recommend operating the system occasionally if possible.

55. Do I need to do any maintenance on the jacks or slide-outs while the vehicle is parked with the jacks and slide-outs extended?
There is no necessary maintenance for the jacks or slide-outs while the vehicle is parked. If desired, WD-40 can be used on the jack rods right before storing the jacks if dirt has collected on the rods. Refer to the following link for jack maintenance information ml47149.pdf.

56. If Im parked for a month or two, should I occasionally operate my system?
Yes, it is good to operate the system occasionally but it is not required.

57. I have the HWH Air Leveling system, should I dump all the air from my suspension when I store the coach?
You should talk to the coach manufacturer to get the information. Storing the coach either way will not hurt the HWH equipment.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
jaywolf ; JMHO, I would think that placing the jack stands as close as possible to the leveling jack location on the frame , would put less stress on the chassis frame than the location shown in your picture. The current location could be bending the frame up ; at the rear in particular.
Obviously you have never looked at a Tradewinds Freightliner Duraframe if you are worried about bending it.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I use the levelers or stabilizers 100% of the time when the unit is not rolling down the road.
x2
Our "storage" is a slightly sloping driveway in front of our house, jacks down, levelers in use and plugged-in at our home-built pedestal.

Best wishes
TimnJamie
BentlyRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelers, storage