Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #1

Use motor home as emergency power for home

would like to use my Allegro Bus Diesel 7500 w generator in emergencies to power my home. Have a home outlet circuit for 50 amps to go from the home to the motor home, but would like to reverse wire the motor home to run my generator to power the house in an emergency. Has anyone done this before.
davidnmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never done it. But near my generator the wires from the gen. goes to a junction box. Should be easy to install a 50 AMP outlet plug on it.

But at the house you will need a transfer box as not to give any lineman a big surprise. Have a electrician install the house end to be safe.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Now you want power for your home. What would you like to run? You will be somewhat limited on what you will be able to do. However it can be a pain to wire it up as you may need to hard wire it in. The reason for this is because your outlets in your RV are probably only 20 amps supported.

One option is to have a electrictian install a 50 amp outlet in your RV somewhere. Then you can run a cable from RV to home and plug in the home. Then you will need a transfer switch.

As Triker56 said, hire a electrician to do it. I dont see it being too expensive till you add up the labor cost.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #4

FYI. Both Lowes and Home Depot sell emergency electric transfer kits. The kits have the proper wiring to attach to specific circuits at the house main power panel plus a automatic transfer switch that prevents sending power out to the main electric grid. Cost around $300. Pretty straight forward to install if the included directions are followed. I believe the kits are 30 amp.
The connection in the coach should also easy to install.
Just take you time and care in doing the changes.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not advise anyone with out major electircal experience to wire in a transfer switch at there house, either manual or automatic.From what i understand motorhome generators do not produce 230 volts which is needed for well (water) function. (I wish someone would explain why MOHO generators dont make 230 when a 50 amp shore power set up is a 230 volt 4 wire configuration) I would suggest that you have an electrician install a whole house manual transfer switch and get ahold of a at least 5000 watt portable gen for your emergency needs.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I live in the forest and have power outages often. I have a backup generator for my house already wired into the power box. I just turn off the main and start the generator and plug it in. The power company calls us when the power is back on. I just tuen off the generator and flip off the breaker and then turn the power main back on.
NCcamper
nccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #7

We used the MH for five days when the power was out. Ran a 110 cord from MH to power a small 1500 watt heater in the house so the pipes would not freeze. Lived in the MH while the power was out with all the comforts.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why wouldn't you want to just manually open (turn off) the 200amp main breakers prior to attaching and running the genny? Seems that would be more failsafe and positive control rather than an automatic xfer switch (that may get used a couple times a year). Or is the transfer switch the entry point for the genny power as well?
I’ve been thinking about this as well, but I only have a 30 Amp genny (1 leg of power). I think your 50amp genny hook-up is more complicated if you plan on using both power legs.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko
I would not advise anyone with out major electircal experience to wire in a transfer switch at there house, either manual or automatic.From what i understand motorhome generators do not produce 230 volts which is needed for well (water) function. (I wish someone would explain why MOHO generators dont make 230 when a 50 amp shore power set up is a 230 volt 4 wire configuration) I would suggest that you have an electrician install a whole house manual transfer switch and get ahold of a at least 5000 watt portable gen for your emergency needs.
I have a 10kw Onan in my coach that makes 220v. I think anything under 10kw in the Onan Quiet Diesel only makes 120v.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #10

Occasional outages here, I just run a cord through the doggy door. Power the evap cooler, tv/'puter/fridge. Never seem to have an outage in the winter, think I'd just stay in the MH in that case.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
hanko: this may help to understand the wiring and receptacles....
RV Wiring
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccamper View Post
I live in the forest and have power outages often. I have a backup generator for my house already wired into the power box. I just turn off the main and start the generator and plug it in. The power company calls us when the power is back on. I just tuen off the generator and flip off the breaker and then turn the power main back on.
NCcamper
Ive seen main breakers stay closed when manually opening them, or a
at least one side. If your going to that then you should remove the actuall meter from the scoket. dont trust just the main. especially if its an old pushmatic type
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Agree....have used Genny to power lights , Fridge, Freezer, TV.. no problems, just ran a line into the cellar
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
hanko: this may help to understand the wiring and receptacles....
RV Wiring
Good diagram you sent me. My question was being though when you plug into shore power, (50 amps) your plugging into a 230 volt 4 wire system. I have been told that RV generators such as mine only produce 120 volts, so that brings up two issues. Now your capable of overloading the neutral (grounded conductor) at the circuit breaker panel by feeding both sides of the line with one ungrounded conductor, and what connects both sides of the line to the single hot line at the generator? Im an electrical contractor with a degree in electrical engineering, so you wont confuse me

Tags
power