Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #1

Used Class A

we,ve started are look into purchasing a used Class A. what we,ve noticed so far is a ton Of Thor model,s ,, Why? We are thinking the smaller Class A,s. but one of our requirments is a larger fridge. If you were in our boat what brands or models to stay away from, and one,s to consider?
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
we,ve started are look into purchasing a used Class A. what we,ve noticed so far is a ton Of Thor model,s ,, Why? We are thinking the smaller Class A,s. but one of our requirments is a larger fridge. If you were in our boat what brands or models to stay away from, and one,s to consider?
So you guys have a boat also?

Seriously, I dont know about Thor MH's maybe the owners upgrade allot.

If you want a large fridge then you are looking at a mid size to larger MH. The only advice I give (which is worth exactly what you are paying for it) get the largest one your budget will allow. Now if money is no object and you never had an RV before then it may not apply. Most people continue to increase the length of their next rig rather than downsize.

Goof luck and keep us in the loop
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would first establish a budget, then make a list of "must haves" and "nice to haves". If your requirments exceed your budget, just drop the model year back until it matches.
Do not limit yourself to the local area. You will find the exact same coach across the country for $50k less. Prices are all over the place.
Allow 6 months to a year to locate a coach.
The more coaches you look at and drive, the more you will learn what you do and don't like.
Take a note book and camera with you each time.
Do you intend to tow a vehicle behind your coach?
Have a realistic idea of what types of trips and camping (dry camping verses parks with full hook ups) you intend to do and how long you intend to keep this coach.

New: Look at Newmar, Integra, Tiffen, and American Coach.
Used: Look at Newmar, Integra, Travel Supreme (changed to Integra in 2009), Monaco, Country Coach, Tiffen, and American Coach.
Thor tends to build to a lower price point. They are successful, but not famous for quality.
If you decide to go with a diesel pusher, look for a side radiator and LESS plastic parts, especially in the engine bay.
I listed Newmar first as they are considered by many to be high quality. That also means you will pay more, both new and used.

Many of the RV manufacturers did not make it through the 2009 recession: Monaco, Travel Supreme, Country Coach, and more. These companies built excellent quality motor homes. If you decide to go used, look at these models from 2003-2009. They are some of the best coaches ever built. Make a budget to modernize it and be prepared to do some of the work yourself (labor rates are $150 per hour).
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #4

Lots of Thor 'cause they own so many MH brands. Like Chevy or Ford, they make a lot of units.

As for the fridge, my wife insisted we get a MH WITHOUT a kitchen, as she wants to eat out all the time!

If you have kids, a big fridge can be useful, but otherwise, you are always near a store, so you really don't NEED a big fridge. Besides, vegetables go bad fast anyway!

One thing about the RV life is homing in on what you NEED as opposed to what you WANT.

The more you look, the more you will be comfortable with your decision.

Happy Hunting!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Winnebago and Fleetwood make great units.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had two Dutch Stars and should have ordered a third one. The Country Coach is a magnificant, solid, and ecpensive rig but has cost a bunch to keep running due to the poor Cummins engine design.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar and Tiffin are two manufacturers that make really nice MHs. I would look at these and don't be afraid to travel to get it. As with any used MH have it inspected before you buy it.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
So you guys have a boat also?

Seriously, I dont know about Thor MH's maybe the owners upgrade allot.

If you want a large fridge then you are looking at a mid size to larger MH. The only advice I give (which is worth exactly what you are paying for it) get the largest one your budget will allow. Now if money is no object and you never had an RV before then it may not apply. Most people continue to increase the length of their next rig rather than downsize.

Goof luck and keep us in the loop
I can only say that larger has not been the case for us, mostly because of the places we go with it. We had diesel powered 4wd 11.5' TCs for the first 35 years of our travel/camping experience. I would still prefer one of those because of the versatility they offer. We didn't live in them, which would make a big difference, but used them to travel and stay in mostly for meals, showers, and sleeping. We were gone most of the day when at some place we wanted to explore, or when hunting or fishing.

We have a MH now because at 72 and after a broken wrist and hip replacement my wife wanted a little more convenience. I'm 78 and would still be perfectly happy with the TC. To be able to go most of the places we did with the TC our MH is only 26', but I keep thinking diesel and they don't seem to come in much less than 30'. At some point we may go there, but maybe not. We usually travel several months per year and around 8k miles.

We boondock/dry camp most of the time and fresh water, holding and fuel capacities have always been most important to us. The refrigerators we had always seemed adequate and would outlast the need to dump and fill, which usually meant a trip to town where groceries were available. I'm not sure how large the refrigerator is you are looking for, but I've seen 10 cu ft advertised in some of the 30' DPs I've looked at on Craigslist.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #9

My take is figure out your budget, then get the floor plan you want that fits in your budget

How the RV is maintained is more important then the brand itself. A neglected poorly maintained “high end” coach can be a complete money pit.

Lots of great brands out there... floor plan.... floor plan
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
My take is figure out your budget, then get the floor plan you want that fits in your budget

How the RV is maintained is more important then the brand itself. A neglected poorly maintained “high end” coach can be a complete money pit.

There is some truth here, however Aluminum or Fiberglass roofs tend to last longer than rubber (TPO/EPDM) roofs, solid wood cabinets tend to last longer than particle board, and fiberglass showers tend to last longer than plastic showers (plastic tends to get brittle with age).
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post

Don't buy any neglected coach...but older high end is the best bang for the buck. I would rather have a used Caddy than a new Impala.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Watching...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
There is some truth here, however Aluminum or Fiberglass roofs tend to last longer than rubber (TPO/EPDM) roofs, solid wood cabinets tend to last longer than particle board, and fiberglass showers tend to last longer than plastic showers (plastic tends to get brittle with age).
Any roof can leak if improperly cared for. My dads last RV was fiberglass, before that aluminum and due to how he neglected the rv with what should be yearly maintenance. Lots of water inside the RV. No clue the cost to replace EPDM or the additional maintenance required for them.

Curious how much longer solid vs particle board cabinets last? And also what fails in the particle board cabinets?

Same with the showers, how long do they last?

I have always thought people want solid wood, fiberglass shower or marble counter tops because they like the looks and feel of it, not due to the difference in lifespan.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And also what fails in the particle board cabinets?

Screws strip out in the particle board and door hinges get loose, catches get loose, etc. Its also tough on the spring loaded door struts too.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a