Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Used DP dickering

What kind of discount from asking price did you get on your used DP? I know they pad the price for those with trades, but we don't have one to trade. Is 30% reasonable on the average?

Thanks!
jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

Really depends on the brand & model, what shape it's in, the general local market, and how desperate the dealer is. Well liked models that sell well might not have any discount. Unpopular models you might get 30% off easily.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
11 years ago, we got 28% off on a 7 year old rig.

Things have changed since then and I think we paid a bit too much.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jimaxp,
Buying pre-owned is the same as buying new. To get the best price:
1. Determine what you are willing to pay.
2. Have the sales person write the order for that amount of $s.
3. Give the sales person a deposit check.
4. Make sure the sales order gives the dealer XX amount of time to accept or the check will be returned (or canceled via the bank).
5. If the dealer counter offers and you do not like the counter, walk away.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
If you're going to start dickering check out a few things. How old are the tires? Over 5 years they should probably be replaced (google how to find date manufactured code), Shock aborbers? Are the origional equipment? If you have > 20k on them they should be replaced. How old are the batteries? >5 they should be replaced. When was it last serviced? If they don't have the paper work figure out who much that will cost, same with the generator. When was the last annual maintence done on the reffer, furnace, and hot water heaters? Has there been any recalls on those MHs? Has the work been done. Find out how long it will take. I'm sure that there's others out there that will have all sorts of suggestions. After you've compiled the list and got all the information about the make and model of the appliances go shop around on who much it will take to do the work and or replace the parts. Don't low ball it. You should probably avoid having the work done at the place you bought it because they will probably take short cuts in time and materials.
Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think you can come up with any percentage for used RVs, since the dealer asking price is totally arbitrary. He may have padded it so he can give a high trade in, or maybe he priced it reasonable or maybe even low for a quicker sale. More popular models are typically priced higher, but maybe he had to give a higher trade-in on it as well.

The important thing is what it's worth to you, not what he is asking. Lok at it and say to yourself, "I would buy this if I could get it for $xxxxx" and make that offer. The worst that can happen is he says No, and then you either walk or up your offer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #7

Since there is no MSRP for used motorhomes there is really no % discount that you can shoot for. Go here:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/soldmenu.htm

PPL as you may know is a big consignment dealer in Texas. This is a link to a listing of units they have sold and the price they sold for. Try to find a comparable unit.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #8

FWIW, we paid advertised price. We decided it was worth that because of what they did to the MH. They replaced both battery banks, repaired or replaced anything mechanical or safety-related either them or us found, and performed a full maintenance job on the entire chassis. Tires were right at 5 years so they offered to split replacement, but their costs estimate was waay off, $5,000, so we passed.
I think we could have bought the MH for less, but 'as-is".
Only you can decide what a MH is worth to you; you are the only one who must live with the decision.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

Shocks replaced after 20k miles? We have about 160k miles on our coach, and we finally need to replace the rear shocks--factory says the front shocks are still OK!

As far as what you should pay, check out web sites that list many motorhomes, such as RVT, RVTrader, and RVOnline, and find the same kind of motorhome yu are lookin at, and see what asking prices are. That will give you a good starting point.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several discussions here via searching on NADA for input on values. I bought used last year and found that low retail or less was in the ball park much of the time. However NADA is way off for some brands. Condition, tire and battery age, etc. are large change factors.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Discount on used is completely meaningless since it depends on the asking price which is arbitrary.

We're in the process of selling our old mh. I'm asking $22k but if you'd like 50% discount, I'll happily increase my asking price to $45k and sell it to you at 50%.

% off NADA is a bit more useful for used but even that is pretty much useless since NADA isn't a particularly good benchmark for used prices and it really depends on the make / model / condition.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #12

You can also look at Completed Listings on eBay. The vast majority of listings on ebay expire, unsold... It's all about price.

As far as buying; it's always good to qualify the seller. Why are they selling? Many private sellers attach an emotional value to their coaches. They also seem to forget how long ago theyreallyput on those "new" tires, batteries, etc...

Dealers, it's all about their cash flow. They probably paid far less for a used coach than you would think. So, they typically have a substantial profit built into it with their typical inflated asking prices. Don't be afraid to make low offers. Often; the bigger the dealer, the bigger the profit must be to support the business...

The emotionally attached private sellers may get upset with a low offer, because they see an unrealistically high value in their unit. With most of these folks, it's best to simply walk away and ask them to contact you at a later date once they decide they actually need the thing to get sold.

I've found the best deals on eBay & RV Trader. The worst deals at big dealers.

Also, praise be to the folks who have a need to buy new.
They load up their units with goodies, work all the kinks out, and them sell them to us for a huge, massive discount.