Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Used DP ideas

We are looking at used Diesel Pushers under 40 feet..
So far we have pretty much decided on either Tiffen or Newmar. There are floor plans in both categories that we can live with.
My question is should we be looking at newer Ventana,Phaeton or slightly older Dutch Star and Allegro Bus in the same price range? All comments welcome.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
My question is should we be looking at newer Ventana,Phaeton or slightly older Dutch Star and Allegro Bus in the same price range? All comments welcome.

Sure.

If floor plan is the most important than you are already going to be very limited. Why limit yourself even more?

My general feeling is that; if two used MH's are worth 150k now and one is 5 years old and the other is 15 than the older coach is more desirable.
You may feel differently.

Every person is different and you haven't given us a lot to work with.

Good luck....... we might even be looking at the same MH's.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #3

I would pick a side radiator over a rear radiator unit.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
I would pick a side radiator over a rear radiator unit.
Because of ease of maintenance or other reasons?
Old 10-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
This is our first Newmar coach. Do like the quality in the Canyon Starr gasser. I am sure the diesels are just as nice.
Never owned a Tiffen, but have looked at their Zephyr years ago. Very nice as well.
Depending on the overall shape of both, you will do fine with either.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #6

We are in the same spot!!

We are ready to pull the trigger, but we can't come to an agreement. I want a 2005 DP, (38 to 40 ft) in the $65K to $85K range, built between 2005 and 2009.

My better half wants to buy a little newer, and spend a little more. Our budget will allow us to go as high as $125K, total (including taxes, tow bar, etc.)

I'm thinking that if we spend $80K, it leaves us plenty for repairs/upgrades (like a custom cabinet for a TV, and adding solar) and maintenance agreement.

Anybody have any input for us?

Also, I know some manufacturers make 3 or 4 lines (i.e. Holiday Rambler) with different initial price points. Is there anyway to determine which versions were originally built as higher end coaches other than the prices?

Thanks in advance.
redrhinino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/vent...ar-463931.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/phae...us-463929.html

Kinda of asking the same question three times.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrhinino View Post
We are ready to pull the trigger, but we can't come to an agreement. I want a 2005 DP, (38 to 40 ft) in the $65K to $85K range, built between 2005 and 2009.

My better half wants to buy a little newer, and spend a little more. Our budget will allow us to go as high as $125K, total (including taxes, tow bar, etc.)

I'm thinking that if we spend $80K, it leaves us plenty for repairs/upgrades (like a custom cabinet for a TV, and adding solar) and maintenance agreement.

Anybody have any input for us?

Also, I know some manufacturers make 3 or 4 lines (i.e. Holiday Rambler) with different initial price points. Is there anyway to determine which versions were originally built as higher end coaches other than the prices?

Thanks in advance.
I personally think YOUR approach to this purchase is using WAY more common sense. Motorhomes, like all rolling stock in America, are NOT INVESTMENTS. So, why not drop back a few years, get a low mileage, less used, primo unit for a lesser price? That way, you don't eat so much devaluation. But, you get a quality unit. Now, I'm speaking from a tad bit of experience. We purchased our '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP about 8 years ago for $90K. Other than a few maintenance frequencies and some smaller repairs, it's been a great coach, built basically by Winnebago.
But, the point is, by dropping back, you already know that, you can get a more quality unit with better options, for less money. And, you stay out of the later smog engines.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 AM   #9

You pose an interesting delima, one I had to answer a few years ago. I choose the older higher quality route and am happy I did, but here are some issues to consider.
Most motorhomes use the same house components so my purchase had older AC's, water heater, furnaces, steps, converter/inverter, dash air, generator, and awnings, all of which I've had to replace or repair within 2 years of purchase.

I do like the quality of the cabinets, floor, and other details like air leveling, IFS, a side radiator and other details I take for granted that other cheaper units may not have. I love the ride and stability but never having driven another motorhome I'm not qualified to make an opinion on the ride characteristics.

An older Dutch Star or Tiffin Bus will likely serve you well, but so will a Phanton or Vantana. Both have an excellent CS reputation. I do believe Newmar was purchased by Winnie however that should make no difference. Just know the older the unit the more maintenance you will have to contend with.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
Because of ease of maintenance or other reasons?
Easyer to change a fan belt.

but more importnatly the radiator's intake side is not in the dirt/dust/oil stream of the motorhome.

Rear radiatiors are not a bad thing, but you MUST check them early, often and deffently before a long climb with your rig. A dirty radiator wont get you up Wolf Creek Pass without a boil over...........
Old 10-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There is nothing wrong buying new but with the rapid depreciation and the high number of quality lightly used coaches readily available for purchase, why buy new?

We intended to buy new but after looking closely at them versus used, we are very happy with our 11 year coach.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

When we went through this three and a half years ago, we bought a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire DP that was in great condition. We have full timed in it ever since and have never had any regrets about that decision.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #13

Here is "worst case" on the rear radiator

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/what-did-you-do-to-your-old-rv-today-133779-post4982913.html
Old 10-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
Here is "worst case" on the rear radiator

https://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4982913
A little common sense and preventive maintenance goes a long way in preventing these types of issues.