RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Used DPs....who should I consider?

Boondocking and heading into town with no toad to restock and head out again ...sure itís done but not common. ďmostĒ ( and Iím sure someone disagree) have a toad .....boondocking areas donít generally lead to biking to the nearby 20 - 30 mile away store . Especially for groceries etc
If your single pick a C or large class B and you can get off-road in some spectacular places. On the other hand My 41í diesel A with a 25í car trailer spent the winter boondocking the SW this year in some pretty great spots . I have the tanks to do boondocking for two for two weeks .. 100 gal of water and 75 ea grey and black .. most smaller coaches will limit those tanks so youíll be dumping and heading to town more often.
All that said if your set on 36 and a A then gas is the way to go. You arenít driving 15000 miles a year across the country and back and are mostly point to point and sit around. Driving comfort isnít the top priority because you arenít really driving much.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
On one hand, I see the wisdom in "testing the waters" with an inexpensive (or cheap, depending on how you look at it) Class A makes sense......yet on the other, it doesn't.

I can't imagine I can get what I'd call "quality" in a Class A at $50K. Seems like I'd find a lot NOT to like in something like that. And that's assuming I have the kind of income that lets me make a $50K purchase that I will turn around and sell (most likely at a loss) to get something else.
I think you're going to find a lot of people that take offense to that statement. We just spend $60K on a new to us DP that after time spent cleaning the inside and compartments and doing my own maintenance is a very nice rig. See my signature line for specifics, but WRV was known for make a good, quality coach. We also looked at American Dream/Tradition (01-03), Country Coach, and a few Monaco models.

There are plenty of quality coaches to be had in the $50K-$100K price range. Best thing about my 05; no DPF or DEF to worry about with an EPA-choked down diesel. If you were in the area, I would have you come walk it. I'd put it up against a lot of coaches out there.

With that being said, it's all about what makes YOU happy, as you're the one that has to live with it. I have actually enjoyed working in it since we got it. I've learned a ton and saved even more
Old 04-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #31

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
1988 through 2005 Foretravels can suffer from "bulkhead separation" -- basically, it's when the frame starts falling apart.

Some Foretravel fans will tell you that bulkhead separation can be DIY fixed in your driveway. When I was looking at Foretravels in 2014, I checked with the manufacturer who figured it could take between $600 to $3000 to fix (in 2014).

I was impressed by Foretravel's fit and finish and their large Cummins engines. However, I think they're overpriced.
True there are things with any coach that may need attention, on our coach I have replaced the roloc bulkhead bolts, not a big deal if you pay attention to them every year, If they have been neglected then again yes it can get spendy..and yes there was a time when the front and rear caps tended to crack..but all should have been taken care of by now..
A good inspection by a qualified person will give you a better idea of what needs to be done before you buy..Just as with any motorcoach..
Overpriced? well... You will get what you pay for...I DO NOT do staples/particle board/glue and hope it holds/imitation wood grain or faux wood stain over pine (or other cheap & easy to work with materials) And hide the "throw it together as fast as you can" with unnecessary cheap "bling" ..The dealer will take care of it attitudes of many manufacturers..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #32

I think the popular response is, unless you have spent time doing what you want to do RVing, you canít appreciate what you need rather than what you think you want. Buying a good used RV for $50k allows you the opportunity to learn
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:42 AM   #33

2002 or 2003 foretravel .. use the rest of the money to travel
Old 05-01-2018, 01:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
I think you're going to find a lot of people that take offense to that statement. We just spend $60K on a new to us DP that after time spent cleaning the inside and compartments and doing my own maintenance is a very nice rig. :
Second that. It is about the life style.

We paid less than $10k for our first MH. We had come from a job in China and were retiring. No house or car. Lots of low mileage MH and cheaper than a U-Haul.

We loved the lifestyle of being full time. We would still be in the MH except a tow truck driver totaled in. We dipped into the 401k and upgraded for under 30k.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #35

I just don't get the "buy something you really don't want" (at whatever price point) so you can find out what you want. It makes no sense to me at all. All it tells you is what knew to being with, you don't like it.

Then you are miserable, immediately start looking for anything, to replace it with. Then you buy something, anything, ASAP, still loose money on what you bought the first time, wether it was used or not, and guess what, you still don't have what you want.

Then you buy what you really wanted all along, and should have bought to begin with, and wallah, you just bought your 3rd coach and lost money, time, and enjoyment.

It took us all of 3 months from the time we walked into the first RV dealer thinking we wanted a 45' 5th wheel, to order our gas Class A. It's just wasn't that hard to find what we really liked and made sense to us, at a price we were willing to pay. Yes, we did up our price point a bit to get what we wanted to begin with becuse we knew it was the right thing to do.

And yes, we use it, a lot. It's only the 2 of us as "younger retirees", we are not large people, and no pets or kids/grandkids to accommodate. We have no plans to ever go full time, and had no desire for a mega RV, or any interest at all in buying an older RV at the same price point for a multitude of our own personal reasons, but that's us.

We've put 25,000 miles on it in 3 years, and will do another 8,000 this year. After our first "get our feet wet" year with shorter trips (up to a month), our typical trips now are at least a month, if not 3 months.

We have no problem drivng our gasser 300-350 miles day in and day out. We knocked out 900 miles in 2 days last year, because it just made sense to do so. We've covered from our home in GA, to FL, the Smokies, MI and eastern Canada, to PEI and Nova Scotia, NH, VT, MN, NY to WY, MT, UT and CO, and across all that in between, and we've made it up / down every grade we've encountered, all in our gasser. Huh, would you all beleive you could do all that in a gasser that's all of 33', and be happy?

The reality is, a lot of people are out thier enjoying thier gassers, Class B / Cs, TT, 5ers, and pop ups. Not everyone wants a mega DP, for whatever reason, or whatever price point.

We haven't seen anything else, new or used, gasser, DP or otherwise, to make us 2nd guess our decision, to buy a new gasser, given our wants, needs, expectations, and what we were willing to put money wise into an RV.

It's just not that hard.........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 AM   #36

Quote:

I guess buying secondhand scares me a little. I know, get a professional RV inspector, but where do you find those?
)
I agree w the buy second hand folks.
You will get a lot more for your money and will come out better if you decide to upgrade / change later.

Lots of good used out there.
Find a friend relative neighbor that has experience or an independant repair shop that will look it over and provide an assessment. May need 2 chassis shop and RV house.

Also don't assume buying new avoids any problems... read the threads about problems w new. Yes the dealers will push it w the warranty but try to get your local dealer to fix problems. Many many posts about having to go back to the factory... are you able / prepared to do that?

You can find checklists to go thru to do a first evaluation of candidates and make written offers w contingencies for owner to demo all systems are functioning and professional inspection of chassis and house.

I'm also a believer that it is possible to buy your second MH the first time. It takes time, conscious thought about how you will use it, what features are musts and wants, lots of talk w others, touring many units & floor plans.
And most importantly... not getting emotional about the first or early unit you consider.

The right MH will "speak to you" if you do your homework and search carefully.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #37

I certainly don't mean to offend. I just think that the equation "Quality = $50K" makes sense. It's more like "Quality = $50K+(time+effort+money)". Of course, that's true in just about everything.

I'm okay when it comes to being handy. I can do basic owner-level maintenance on my car. I can do basic household stuff like swap out light switches and receptacles. With a good guide, I can do basic plumbing. While I don't fool myself into thinking new RVs are perfect, I do have some comfort that any issues that spring up can be addressed under warranty. Getting used....well, maybe, maybe not. And I'm not skilled enough to get a "fixer upper".

Hence my original question about who should I look for if I wanted to get a used DP. LOL

I will keep looking, for both used DPs and RV inspectors. I think I may have been on that NVRIA site once but balked at registering. I'm also a little giddy about going to the RV show in Hershey. That should be interesting, at least as far as new stuff goes.
Allentc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:21 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I am considering a gasser with no toad. My thoughts are I will load up on food/water/etc, then boondock/dry camp for a couple of weeks. Then head back to refresh the tanks, stock up again and repeat as necessary. Or depending on the distance (say there is a store a few miles away along a decent road), take a bicycle.

The DP part is just me trying to leave no stone unturned. DPs seem to be everyone's favorite and while I am not a fan of buying used, maybe it would be an option to explore.

Off-topic of the original question but I canít see being stuck in remote boondocking spot two weeks at a time without getting away from camp to explore. Only being able to explore within walking distance would be too confining for me. I could see doing this for a few weeks or month but would then become stir crazy.

Even if I was going with a small (24-26 ft) class C I would still tow a small car, motorcycle, or scooter. Packing up and breaking camp every time I want to explore somewhere would get old fast.

I donít think factoring in a toad changes your question about used DP vs. new Gas vs. length. All can handle a small toad. After a day or two of experience you donít even know toad is there when driving.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #39

I was thinking a scooter/small motorcycle/bicycle didn’t actually count as a toad. LOL

Quick question re: “old” diesels.....what model year starts with the restrictions, 2008 or 2009?
Allentc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2 cents:

Considerations

1 - Budget. You already have that. Stay below. Even a new one will cost money to fix issues...

2 - Floor plan - You can't change this (very easily)! Get one that you can enjoy! Look at as many as you can find. Go to shows, lots, etc. Look, look, and look some more. Look at placement. Can you see the TV looking ahead, or do you have to turn sideways.... These things matter over time.

3 - DP vs Gas - Your preference. Diesel units are more expensive for a reason. usually higher quality. Quality adds weight....

4 - Determine you needs and stick to them. Units are available. Anything besides the chassis and floor plan can be changed over time..

You can buy new or late model units in your range for your price. We have the Tuscany 36MQ we bought in 2016 new for under your budget. While not the "top of the line" make, it does have the floor plan we desired in a "reasonable" price range for what we wanted. We have made numerous changes and upgrades inside to fit what we wanted and are very happy with it.

Many people love to buy used and save $$. Some of us like new so as to not inherit issues and know every detail of the maintenance. To each his/her own.

I wish you luck and happy hunting!

FWIW
Old 05-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #41

Tiffin 36 LA will fit your needs. We have done 2 four month trips in ours including Arizona, Texas, California, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, and Kentucky. Performed flawlessly other than a screw in front tire which could have happened with anything. Nothing but oil changes.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #42

Quote:
I was thinking a scooter/small motorcycle/bicycle didnít actually count as a toad. LOL

Quick question re: ďoldĒ diesels.....what model year starts with the restrictions, 2008 or 2009?
2007 started the restrictions. We went with a Western RV Alpine Coach due to research here and knowing someone that owned one. They make a quality coach and have a side radiator (makes working on it much easier). Fit and finish are more important than just the visual appeal (i.e. hardwood cabinets vs. press board). After a thorough clean of the interior, it looks great. I found a reputable shop here, but at $115 per hour, I have opted to do a lot of the maintenance myself. It's really not that hard, just time consuming the first time, as you have to learn what you're doing.

We found a phenomenal deal and had a level II inspection done by a RVIA inspector prior to purchase. The actual fixes required were well under $1,000 dollars. Other than that, the coach is in great shape (just needed cleaning).

Are newer coaches nicer, sure. Are they more expensive and out of my price range, you bet. Our coach surpasses everything we wanted in a DP and was within our price range. Warranties are virtually worthless unless they are true manufacturer warranties. Extended warranties have many "escape" clauses in them.

Just 2 cents from someone who just went through the process.