Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #1

We would love to buy a MH for our family of four. We plan on buying a 5-6 year old unit.

I have only ridden in a gas MH before and thought it quite noisy, bumpy, etc. Some friends of ours actually borrowed a DP and took it across country last year and they said it drove great (ie: very smooth ride, quiet, etc).

Also they noted the CCC was much higher on the DP they borrowed vs. a similar sized unit "gasser".

I know everyone has their own preference. What I am looking for is opinions on the difference between the two in regards to noise level while driving, how they each take bumpy roads, etc... For instance: Could someone actually sleep in the rear bed while driving, or would it be too noisy?

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #2

We would love to buy a MH for our family of four. We plan on buying a 5-6 year old unit.

I have only ridden in a gas MH before and thought it quite noisy, bumpy, etc. Some friends of ours actually borrowed a DP and took it across country last year and they said it drove great (ie: very smooth ride, quiet, etc).

Also they noted the CCC was much higher on the DP they borrowed vs. a similar sized unit "gasser".

I know everyone has their own preference. What I am looking for is opinions on the difference between the two in regards to noise level while driving, how they each take bumpy roads, etc... For instance: Could someone actually sleep in the rear bed while driving, or would it be too noisy?

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Diesel pushers are normally smoother riding and much quieter up front than a gas puller. Most also handle much better. The ride and handling is primarily due to the heavier chassis, normally larger tires, and air suspension system. I would rather drive our 40' diesel (Spartan chassis) all day than the Ford Expedition SUV we used to have, and it was pretty comfortable!! The heavier chassis normally gives you more CCC than gas also, but you do need to check it to be sure.

SAFETY CONCERNS ASIDE, I'm sure you would have no problem sleeping on the rear bed in our coach while underway. The low pitched rumble underneath would make wonderful "white noise" to block out other highway sounds. Our two grandkids napped there with their mother when we did a cross country trip two years ago...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've never owned a diesel motorhome, but from what I've read and heard from others I'd have to agree with Paul, the diesels are heavier built, I would believe made to last longer, ride better, etc. All of course at a higher price than the gassers. It all boils down to how you want to use it and what you can afford.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
While is is true that almost any DP will ride better than a gas to have the best ride you will want a full air ride suspension. Also some of the DP's are quieter than others DP's depending on how well the coach mfg. insulates the box around the engine. On our coach we actually have two. This also reduces the heat put out by the engine as well as noise. I would also recommend a side radiator over a rear radiator. The only sure way is to take a long enough test drive with two drivers to evaluate the ride, noise and heat level not only fromt the drivers/passangers seats but also at the rear. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:40 AM   #6

To, Tiniree;

Having owned 2 moho, type A, with Ford F-53 chassiss, a 1995 and a 2000. A 460 cid and a v-10, both with complete Banks systems and both were much quieter than stock, because much of the backppressure was eliminated there-by cutting down over-all noise from engines. WE could carry on normal converdations while under-way.

Currently, own a 41' DP , info below, have had it over 4 years.

Cost more to buy?? YES
Cost more to maintain ?? Not if you do 15-20 thousand miles a year between oil and filter changes. I haven't done that mileage , but I still have to do changes every year.

QUIETER ?? YES===YES==

All the noise , in my case is 35 feet behind me.

The only NOISE we have is the wind coming around windshield. I have 2 surround sound systems, both with CD magazines that I listen to while driving and at a volume we can talk over without yelling.

In fact and I shouldn't post this, but I believe, if your going to give info out, give it all out.

Shortly, after getting DP serviced about 60 miles away, I was boogeying down the highway at 70 mph on cruise control and listening to classical music== I got very thirsty so a raised the tilt wheel, raised the seat arm and proceeded to get up to go to frige!!!

Am I lucky I had my seat-belt on. I probably wouldn't be posting anything, anywhere. The frige is about 16' behind driver's seat.
Now I listen to country & western when alone

YES, DP are quieter!!

All above postings lists other differences.

If, buying a 4-6 year old rig, the DP,if well maintained, will outlast.out perform and provide more over-all comfort than a gas moho

Hope this info helps== Aime== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-25-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If noise level is your main concern, there is no doubt a diesel is quieter, at least in the driving area. Whether it is in the bedroom is another question and depends on the coach manufacturer.

A six year old gas rig puts you on a bit behind some major technology improvements in gas motorhomes. Starting around 2002 with the Workhorse W series gas chassis, gas rigs took a big leap forward. Ford began to copy after a couple years and the F53 got much better too. You will be able to afford a much newer gas rig than a diesel, so set your sights accordingly. Maybe a 3 year old gas versus a 5 year old diesel, for the same price.

Most diesel chassis (not all, especially if looking at older ones) will have air suspension and independent front suspensions, improving ride and handling notably. A leaf spring suspension diesel wont ride or handle much different than a gasser with leaf springs. Just about all gas chassis have basic leaf or coil spring suspensions and aren't all that wonderful in terms of ride. Again, newer ones are better than older ones.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The best way to make your decision is to drive some of each type. Then buy the one that fits your needs and preferences the closest.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #9

I have a DP with springs (no airbags) and it rides like a dream. It would be hard to find DPs with and without airbags with most everything else the same, but I would say that there would be not much difference. You won't find many DPs without airbags so this is sort of an academic point. The Freightliner XCS chassis, not discontinued, came with no airbags and the new FRED Freightliner diesel puller has no airbags.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #10

One thing that hasn't been talked about here.

What does the Mrs. think??

Mine cannot stomach the smell of diesel,

not the fumes, not the exhaust, nothing.

It actually makes her deathly ill.

So, for me, it was a Gasser or nothing.

Ours is really quiet down the road.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:57 AM   #11

Maybe she has been following buses too closely.

We have a Cummins and prior was a CAT. Neither is stinky at all. When we arrive home (or at a site where we have to take the toad off) I'm right at the back with the engine doing its 3 minute turbo cooldown. It does get warm there, but no smoke or smell.

My DW much prefers a DP to a gasser.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steady Eddie:
One thing that hasn't been talked about here.

What does the Mrs. think??

Mine cannot stomach the smell of diesel,

not the fumes, not the exhaust, nothing.

It actually makes her deathly ill.

So, for me, it was a Gasser or nothing.

Ours is really quiet down the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>