Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 04:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Used Tiffin Allegro Red vs Newmar Ventana LE??

Next year we are looking at getting a bigger rig and the options may be a used DP. I like certain details about each brand. I have a Tiffin gasser and I love a lot of the little details about the Tiffin brand. I especially like that Newmar has the TV in the correct position which is directly in front of the sofa. We want a RR and four slides plus the TV in the right location. If the price was good enough I could modify the Allegro Red to put the TV in the correct location.

For anyone that has gone through this process what was the selling point? I have found both models with some good prices. I have been researching the past specs for both brands. They are close and being I am not a great mechanical thinker I may be missing something. Is there anything that would give a brand a point above the other mechanical wise?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 05:39 AM   #2

Ray,

One of the things I really liked about the 31SA is the TV / rear living room set up.

Recently, we spent a few days with some friends that have the 40' Bus with essentially the same floor plan as the 37' Red (and now the 34 PA). Simply, that floor plan works, and works well. Yes, just one bath, but you get a lot more room to live in vs. the same length as the bath and a half models.

While the TV is on the mid ship wall, seating from the drivers / passenger seats is perfect for watching TV, and actually, lying on the couch is prefect too. One key to this is that the kitchen work area does not block the TV, which it does on many other models with a similar floor plan.

I would avoid the L couch, as when the L is extended it blocks the drivers seat, and it puts the recliner next to the TV. Our friends Bus had the sofa, but the recliner next to the TV which didn't make sense (and there was a way to swap that on the Bus) but on the Red, the recliner is next to the drivers seat, so it should be good for TV viewing too.

Add the front TV, and sitting at the dinnette, each person can watch a TV.

The one thing I find odd (on all the similar Tiffin floor plans) is how close the toilet is to the wall. Just doesn't make sense, because there is room to move it out 3" to 6" and it would not interfere with the slide in. If you are a larger person, it could be a deal breaker......

Try to find one you can spend some time in. If we were ever to go bigger, the 37 Red would be the top of the list......

Good luck.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Next year we are looking at getting a bigger rig and the options may be a used DP. I like certain details about each brand. I have a Tiffin gasser and I love a lot of the little details about the Tiffin brand. I especially like that Newmar has the TV in the correct position which is directly in front of the sofa. We want a RR and four slides plus the TV in the right location. If the price was good enough I could modify the Allegro Red to put the TV in the correct location.

For anyone that has gone through this process what was the selling point? I have found both models with some good prices. I have been researching the past specs for both brands. They are close and being I am not a great mechanical thinker I may be missing something. Is there anything that would give a brand a point above the other mechanical wise?
If you plan to tow, take a close look at the LE GCWR. This caused us to rule out the LE & look at the non LE model.
dp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
If you plan to tow, take a close look at the LE GCWR. This caused us to rule out the LE & look at the non LE model.
This was pointed out to me in the Newmar section. Why would they make something with this low of a difference (2000 lbs).
Old 11-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
This was pointed out to me in the Newmar section. Why would they make something with this low of a difference (2000 lbs).
As I understand it, part of the cost savings between the LE & non LE was in the Allison transmission model. The LE uses a 2500 while the non LE uses a 3000. I believe that the 2500 is what limits the towing capacity. This is fine if no towing is anticipated because the CCC is adequate when running solo. But to have the cargo carrying capacity & also tow, the 3000 is needed. That is why we eliminated the LE from our search & focused on the non LE.
dp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
As I understand it, part of the cost savings between the LE & non LE was in the Allison transmission model. The LE uses a 2500 while the non LE uses a 3000. I believe that the 2500 is what limits the towing capacity. This is fine if no towing is anticipated because the CCC is adequate when running solo. But to have the cargo carrying capacity & also tow, the 3000 is needed. That is why we eliminated the LE from our search & focused on the non LE.
I will be towing my Equinox which weighs less than 5000. Is the 2500 transmission statement true with all brands? I am looking at several other brands also. If so I need to delete them from my options.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:25 AM   #7

The bigger le's have the 3000 tranny I believe (40ft and up). Believe the 2500 tranny is limited to 33k cgvwr regardless of brand
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Having a 2500 isn't necessarily a disqualifier, depends upon how much your coach ACTUALLY weighs, compared to the total gross.

I have a 2500, and fully packed/loaded as we travel, with full diesel, propane, and fresh (which we rarely travel full water), I easily have enough capacity for our toad.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin, vent, ventana