Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Using blocks with auto level system

I have a 2008 Fleetwood Southwind with an automatic leveling system. A few times when I have tried to level, after a few minutes of trying, the system will start beeping and one or more of the "Front, Left, Rear, or Right" lights will start flashing. Can I use blocks under one or more of the jacks to help in the leveling process? Also can I use the flashing lights to tell me which jacks are not able to extend far enough to get the RV level?
arnold931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #2

I don't see a problem using blocks under your jacks to help if needed to get it level. Most place say you need jack pads to help with the weight foot print.
I have air leveling and love it.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know your setup exactly but in general, absolutely yes, you can use blocks under the jacks. If you do use blocks, you don't want your rear tires off the ground because of the brakes. I will allow the fronts off the ground a bit but always chuck the tires (most of the time though, I will put a block or two under the tire.

In regards to the flashing lights. On my rig it will tell me what corner is the issue by flashing. When that happens I will use my blocks under that jack and normally under the tire as well. I just don't like tires off the ground with no traction, front or back.

Here is something similar to what I bought. Seem to work well after 7 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 5-19-19 at 7.38 PM.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	246589  
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #4

Sure you can use blocks, many do. The downhill side is where they're needed, no need to refer to the lights.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #5

We use them under the Jack's and the wheels as needed
Old 05-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #6

Yes you can use blocks. Some buy the plastic leggo blocks, some use cut lumber () some use horse stall mats, and some use mats designed for heavy lifters (re heavy $$). Above all, you need to learn your system and how manually operate it, plus have a back up method for acquiring level.

BTW, don't ever get a wheel off the ground when leveling or you will surely die. If your tires are more than 7 years old and you get a wheel off the ground while leveling, please camp on the otherside of America as I don't want to be close to that lightning strike and ensuing earthquake.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
BTW, don't ever get a wheel off the ground when leveling or you will surely die. If your tires are more than 7 years old and you get a wheel off the ground while leveling, please camp on the otherside of America as I don't want to be close to that lightning strike and ensuing earthquake.
Well that pretty much sums up several scary myths.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #8

I do a quick manual level check when a site is clearly not level, then add extra blocks on the low corners before starting the leveling process. The less the jacks have to extend, the better. The site we're in right now is gravel and needed three inches of blocks on the right front and right rear, but that potentially allows the rear wheels to raise slightly off the ground, so I had to check to make sure that didn't happen. In situations like this I use thin cutting boards under the opposite side jacks.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I don't know your setup exactly but in general, absolutely yes, you can use blocks under the jacks. If you do use blocks, you don't want your rear tires off the ground because of the brakes. I will allow the fronts off the ground a bit but always chuck the tires (most of the time though, I will put a block or two under the tire.

In regards to the flashing lights. On my rig it will tell me what corner is the issue by flashing. When that happens I will use my blocks under that jack and normally under the tire as well. I just don't like tires off the ground with no traction, front or back.

Here is something similar to what I bought. Seem to work well after 7 months.
My last rig crushed those blocks. Present rig has air only leveling. Works great.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:04 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"arnold931"....Use the blocks....after a while, you'll get good at seeing what the coach needs in terms of wheel ramps and jack blocks before yo even try to auto level.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:32 AM   #11

I always put 16” square blocking under all 4 jacks. They are4” thick. The less your jacks have to extend the less movement.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote