Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Using coach air to blow out water system

Have searched here and google to find out if anyone has used their onboard air to winterize. My new to me 2004 Monaco Dynasty has a fitting for air but the manual only talks about using it to blow up toys. I've found a adapter to attach an air line to the water system and would think you could use a regulator on to bring the pressure down from 120 to 30-40 psi. Guess question is if anyone else has ever done this.
Procyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have not use coach air but see no reason one could not, but make sure it is regulated to the 40# area.

LEN
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
Have searched here and google to find out if anyone has used their onboard air to winterize. My new to me 2004 Monaco Dynasty has a fitting for air but the manual only talks about using it to blow up toys. I've found a adapter to attach an air line to the water system and would think you could use a regulator on to bring the pressure down from 120 to 30-40 psi. Guess question is if anyone else has ever done this.

If you have an AquaHot system, don't rely on blowing out the fresh water loop. Water can collect at a low point in the tubing. If it freezes & splits the copper, that's a $8,000-$10,000 boo boo.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use MH air (self installed) for this purpose. I live in a temperate climate relatively speaking so I do not use anti freeze. I can move my MH to a plug in when faced with extended freezing weather.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
If you have an AquaHot system, don't rely on blowing out the fresh water loop. Water can collect at a low point in the tubing. If it freezes & splits the copper, that's a $8,000-$10,000 boo boo.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Thanks for the reminder. I do have the Aquahot and read in the manual that you still needed to add antifreeze after blowing out the lines along with adding a little to the black/grey tanks.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #6

I'd be kinda worried about blowing any contamination from the air system throw my water lines. The requirements for brakes and tires are totally different than potable water.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

I would not use the onboard compressor to blow out the water lines. The onboard system uses a compressor with a crankcase that is kept lubricated by engine oil. Any blowby vapor that passes the compressor's piston rings will enter the air tanks and thus the fresh water system of the RV when used to blow out the lines. I carry a small oiless compressor in a storage compartment to winterize the water system when needed.
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #8

A water/oil separator should eliminate any contamination
Old 04-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
A hundred bucks spent at Harbor freight or Lowes for a nice # 150 compressor would be a good tool to have for many things ..
But , of course taking air from the Motorcoach, will work too. Be sure to regulate the pressure as others have suggested . Using the motorcoach air for tires or air tools is not as convenient as a stand alone compressor
Old 05-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks

Appreciate all the input. Guess I'll have to weigh price and space on weather to buy a separate compressor or rig a regulator and oil/water separator system for coach air. I'll let you know which I decide.

Tags
water