Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 05:35 AM   #15

Have you tried the book, The Next Exit? It's limited to interstate highways, but it lists fuel stations, restaurants, WalMarts, etc. by exit numbers in all states. RV friendly locations are printed in red. So far, we've found it pretty reliable.

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Exit-202...71596695&psc=1
MRichaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 05:43 AM   #16

Being a diesel, with saddle tanks and over 70’ in length - we use truck stops only. We also use the TSD card and the 2 accompanying apps from them to plan our fuel stops long before we start driving.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That's the big lie in retail fuel stations. It is NOT the credit card company, limiting the amount charged is counter-productive to company objective.
I have an email from Discover Card stating this.
It is the credit card processing company hired by the filling station company who makes this rule, they are paid by each transaction processed.
Doubt my veracity? Email your credit card company.

I agree.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:05 AM   #18

Of late, I've found serious errors with Gas Buddy pricing at various stations. Perhaps my new hot spot phone will help, if I add the TDS app. My limited use of it is discouraging: Loves costing me 20c/gal more than ARCO or a new (I10 @Tom Wells) station that ran an undisclosed special of 8c/gal refund, off their already lowest price.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:09 AM   #19

I just down loaded iExit last year from the App Store seems pretty good and free.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:39 AM   #20

Using Garmin to find gas stations that you fit in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Am I doing something wrong? Have the rv specific Garmin, programmed in my length...

Driving down the highway it shows tons of gas stations along the highway that are designed for cars... shows the local Amoco, BP, kwik-mart, etc...

A 40ft rv won’t fit in those... or at least readily fit...

Other than checking satellite images...which is tough to do as you’re driving along... any suggestions?

Do you guys use these smaller gas stations?

Truck stops are preferred but on many roads you don’t see a lot of these...

Or, do you guys just use truck stops...?

We rarely use truck stops, but instead we prefer smaller Mom-Pop stations along the interior byways and highways of our beautiful country. BUT, I do have a secret weapon that guarantees 100% fueling experience [emoji3]. My weapon has the acronym called S.H.A.R.O.N.

My secret weapon finds the diesel station using a variety of sources, then she does what she loves to do, she tells me where to go [emoji57] As I approach the station, she gives the station a once over looking for pump layout and I get a thumbs up or down signal. IF I get the thumbs up then I start my approach. She immediately scans for the pumps with the diesel, and assesses the exit strategy.

In the past 22 or so years of diesel pusher coaches, she has never been wrong (of course she has never been wrong about anything :nonono[emoji4] My secret weapon has worked well on many other of life's problems, so I guess, even after 47 years I am not in a hurry to upgrade to the newest flashy models.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #21

First mistake is search for gas stations instead of truck stops. Most truck stops will have gas pumps with much better access than a gas station.

Second mistake is not pre-planning the fuel stop.

If you have a Garmin, you can send locations to it using a smartphone through the Bluetooth link. Find the place you want to stop using Google Maps, including checking the satellite view to make sure you have adequate access. Once you locate the stop you want, 'share' it with the Garmin app and send it to the Garmin. Then you use the Garmin to navigate to it.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:27 AM   #22

All Garmin GPS units have the capability to use custom points of interest (POI) files. By setting up custom POIs with alerts for truck stops, Flying J, TA, etc, it is very easy to find/see upcoming fuel locations. I use poi-factory to download all sorts of custom POIs. You can also download bitmap images/icons so that you see Bucees, Walmart, TA, et Al on your display. Using custom alert keywords provides an effective way of seeing what is near you. Search for Garmin custom POIs and alerts to fine more detailed info.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:31 AM   #23

Thanks folks... again seems like preplanning remains the key...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #24

When the fuel tank gets close to 1/2 we start to think about obtaining fuel.

There are so many ways to do something, and so many different people doing them. Some of us prefer the smaller stations, and some of us prefer the big truck fueling stations. Some of us preplan everything, and some of us wing it. Some of us will only go to luxury RV camping resorts, and some of us like the rural public campgrounds. So what? This is not a one size fits all race. It is not a mistake just because you don't blindly follow what others like to do.

Make the decisions that best fit what YOU like and feel comfortable doing.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
Matt A has it spot on. I also use truck stops almost exclusively. Flying J, Pilot, Loves and others. With my diesel dully I would fill it when I reached 1/4 tank. I just sold it since it was sitting and not being driven much since I got the Palazzo. I can go a lot father with a 96 gallon tank, but I wish the credit cards would allow a higher limit so one could purchase a full tank in one shot.
As others have posted there are credit cards that have a higher limit that you are talking about. We use the Flying J not only do you get a discount off the price but have a $1,000 limit, the only drawback is you have to keep track on what you are spending, so you don’t get cut off while filling up the tank.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:55 AM   #26

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt A View Post
Before a trip I map out the whole route, search and filter the stations that have RV gas pumps, RV parking, RV dump, or are the most conveniently located to the route.
I can still use the car pumps in a pinch, but would rather not block a second pump while filling up.
Matt (or anyone else) it sounds like you have a gas coach? We do too. Small RV (33’) with a toad (maybe another 18’). How do you find an RV gas pump? We’re new to RV’ing. We just got back from our first extended trip (5500 miles, AZ to/from Florida Keys). Getting gas at interstate truck stops (Loves, Flying J, Pilot, etc) was hit and miss. They all had plenty of room and easy access for diesel but the gas pumps took some planning to be able to get in and get out. How do you find these RV gas pumps?
Old 05-09-2021, 05:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
Matt (or anyone else) it sounds like you have a gas coach? We do too. Small RV (33’) with a toad (maybe another 18’). How do you find an RV gas pump? We’re new to RV’ing. We just got back from our first extended trip (5500 miles, AZ to/from Florida Keys). Getting gas at interstate truck stops (Loves, Flying J, Pilot, etc) was hit and miss. They all had plenty of room and easy access for diesel but the gas pumps took some planning to be able to get in and get out. How do you find these RV gas pumps?
This is where the satellite view on Google Maps is your friend.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #28

We’ve owned our current 40’ diesel pusher for nine years and about 80,000 miles. In all that time, I have ONLY fueled at truck stops. Never anywhere else. We’re as big as a truck, so why not?

It’s just not worth the hassle of trying to fit into some neighborhood mom and pop station.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas