Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 05:06 PM   #1

Using Garmin to find gas stations that you fit in...

Am I doing something wrong? Have the rv specific garmin, programmed in my length...

Driving down the highway it shows tons of gas stations along the highway that are designed for cars... shows the local Amoco, BP, kwik-mart, etc...

A 40ft rv won’t fit in those... or at least readily fit...

Other than checking satellite images...which is tough to do as you’re driving along... any suggestions?

Do you guys use these smaller gas stations?

Truck stops are preferred but on many roads you don’t see a lot of these...

Or, do you guys just use truck stops...?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing that I don't personally like to do is wing it looking for my next fuel stop. All of my rigs have been gas engined, so this may not apply to diesel users. I knew what my range was for any of my motorhomes. Before taking off for the day, I'll use the GasBuddy app to find stations along my route that's within my range. Often, I travel on Interstates, so I typically look for Flying J's and Pilot. Many Flying J's and some Pilots have RV fuel lanes for easy in and out. FJ are normally competitive on gas with local stations. Maybe not so on diesel. Once I find a station in my range, I'll use Google maps on satellite view to see if there is room to get in and out. If I'm satisfied, I'll add that location into my Garmin. I currently have most of my 1,700 trip planned out for overnight stays and fuel stops along the route. It's very rare that I'll travel in an unknown area and just wing it to find fuel stops. My copilot isn't fast enough with phone apps to keep us out of trouble!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #3

GasBuddy and who ever has the cheapest diesel close to our route...44’ towing.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12 View Post
GasBuddy and who ever has the cheapest diesel close to our route...44’ towing.
Concur with Gas Buddy. 44' coach and M/C + toad on dolly = 61'. God's eye view from satellite on GB app to evaluate approaches, entries, maneuvering room and exits BEFORE arrival.[emoji41]
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Garmin, but I don't rely on it for the gas stations. I prefer Gas buddy. Once you find a station you like, you can get a satellite view of it.

I prefer the truck stops. Years ago, my dad would drive way out of his way to save $.03/gallon, didn't matter how big or small the station was. Once he took out 3 basement doors on a bollard in a tight place.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I NEVER use gas stations for my diesel....

Driving a 40’ pusher it’s sooooo much easier to buy fuel ONLY from truck stops thru truck lanes.....

Your Garmin can locate truck stops...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I use truck stops almost exclusively. Flying J, Pilot, Loves or others.

Before a trip I map out the whole route, search and filter the stations that have RV gas pumps, RV parking, RV dump, or are the most conveniently located to the route. I put all the info into my planned schedule, distances, drive times, exit# or MM, addresses. When on the actual drive I can refer to that list and pick and choose which one works best with remaining fuel level, meal breaks, tank levels, etc.

I can still use the car pumps in a pinch, but would rather not block a second pump while filling up.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're running a 40' diesel pusher, so we try to use the truck lanes whenever we can. I've been lucky once or twice using an out-of the way gas station when needed.

For this, I use my Garmin RV890. But you say, "It shows all gas stations!"

Changing Lanes has a quick little write-up on how to filter down to preferred providers, including truck stops. It's on that link under "Finding Fuel Stops Along Route".
dwirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:09 PM   #9

Matt A has it spot on. I also use truck stops almost exclusively. Flying J, Pilot, Loves and others. With my diesel dully I would fill it when I reached 1/4 tank. I just sold it since it was sitting and not being driven much since I got the Palazzo. I can go a lot father with a 96 gallon tank, but I wish the credit cards would allow a higher limit so one could purchase a full tank in one shot.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I NEVER use gas stations for my diesel....

Driving a 40’ pusher it’s sooooo much easier to buy fuel ONLY from truck stops thru truck lanes.....

Your Garmin can locate truck stops...
All the GPS unit requires is the proper settings, it ignores all the others.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
Matt A has it spot on. I also use truck stops almost exclusively. Flying J, Pilot, Loves and others. With my diesel dully I would fill it when I reached 1/4 tank. I just sold it since it was sitting and not being driven much since I got the Palazzo. I can go a lot father with a 96 gallon tank, but I wish the credit cards would allow a higher limit so one could purchase a full tank in one shot.
Check out the TDS card. It allows it and it allows you to activate the truck pumps without going inside.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #12

I am almost 70' long. My truck is 11.5' high and 30' long and my RV is 38' long and 13.5' high.

Since I have dual tanks holding 275 gallons I use truck pumps to fill also. I check both TDS and Gas Buddy style apps for best fuel price. In region I know of several locations that beat even the TDS discount significantly so I try to hit those locations. With a 2000 + mile range this is easier.

My challenge comes in that I still need to put regular fuel in the RV for the generator and fuel station to keep the side by side fueled up on our adventures.

I always look for stations in more rural areas. I never get off in small urban areas. Even if I could get in/out of the station getting to/from the station maybe be a challenge. I live in a rural area and I can only think of one station that would would be difficult to get into.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
That's the big lie in retail fuel stations. It is NOT the credit card company, limiting the amount charged is counter-productive to company objective.
I have an email from Discover Card stating this.
It is the credit card processing company hired by the filling station company who makes this rule, they are paid by each transaction processed.
Doubt my veracity? Email your credit card company.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:52 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I use truck stops and the TDS fleet card. I use the TDS app to plan stops along the way with the cheapest price. I M roughly 64’ long and can’t back up. Any savings I might eek out at a smaller station are offset by convenience and avoiding mishaps.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas