Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Using inverter with residential refrigerator

New to Class A's and I didn't have to worry about this with my previous Class C. I have a residential refrigerator in my Tiffin Allegro Bus, and I have to run the inverter to use it. If I'm not running the generator or on shore power, will the inverter cut off once the batteries reach a certain discharge level, before being entirely depleted?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2021, 06:04 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmitchmd View Post
New to Class A's and I didn't have to worry about this with my previous Class C. I have a residential refrigerator in my Tiffin Allegro Bus, and I have to run the inverter to use it. If I'm not running the generator or on shore power, will the inverter cut off once the batteries reach a certain discharge level, before being entirely depleted?
Yes. Most inverters will cut out a some voltage, depending on the model and manufacturer.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The answer is YES.....typically, your coach will come from Tiffin with your inverter set at a voltage level where it will cut off. Many like to set it themselves at a level they prefer, versus the factory setting. You'll need to scroll through your inverter settings to see what voltage it was set at.

Without knowing your battery bank size, I will say that you can most likely get one full day of power from your batteries, (with minimal use of other items) before you'll run your batteries down. Adding some solar to the roof, will help.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #4

You want to make sure your batteries don't go that low. If you have lead acid you shouldn't let them go much bellow 50% which is about 12v. When dry camping most people run the generator a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the pm. If you monitor your voltage over time you will figure out how much you need to run your generator.

You can use the AGS to keep it charged but if quite times are an issue that doesn't work out very well.

Lithium and solar can greatly reduce the amount of generator run time needed.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do some reading in the manual, you should be able set the generator to automatically start the generator(AGS) when the voltage gets low. You can also monitor and start the generator as needed, probably 1-2 hours a day.

I was on a 6 week trip, dry camping 50% of the time and was able to get by with running the generator every night before going to bed. I do have some solar which helped.

Also while you are driving your alternator should charge the batteries. Some days after a long drive my batteries would be at 100% and I wouldn't have to run the generator.

Good Luk
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, refrigerator, residential refrigerator