RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #15

Using the jacks to lift the rig is not an issue. Heck, i've seen people park their rigs at campsites with the wheels off the ground. I wouldn't do that but at the same time, it's probably not that big a deal since no one is crawling around under the coach when it's propped up that way.

Working under it though, especially with wheels off, is a different story. You just never know when something might go wrong. You should always block or use appropriately sized jack stands when possible. At home, there's no excuse and no reason to take a chance hurting/killing yourself or damaging your rig.

I can see someone using the leveling jacks to change a tire on the side of the road. Imo, this would be safer than having to use a regular automobile's supplied emergency jack. Just gotta make sure you're on firm ground, you have the spare ready, and that you've cracked the lugnuts before raising the tire off the ground. Raise the rig just enough to relieve pressure off the tire, then remove and replace without putting any part of your body under the rig.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #16

Oh Sweetbriar!! I absolutely donít agree with #5. But thatís another thread for another day....
5. Only install tires that are marketed for RV applications
Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
To give you a blanket, Yes, its OK would be unwise, as I don't know what jacks you have or their capacity.

On my Southwind, I have an older Power Gear system, It has no problems lifting the vehicle up off the tires.

As you also noted, a couple precautions I take, I don't climb under the vehicle or remove any tires / wheels without stands. I always ask "What happens if one of those hoses decides to rupture and the jack immediately retracts."

Also if I raise the rear, I make sure the front wheels are blocked so it can't roll.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #18
Commercial Member

its strictly a liability issue. that protects the jack mfg in case the owner does something wrong, yes, you can raise the whole coach off the ground with the jacks. but dont do that. sometimes there are consequences.
there was a jack mfg sued because a florida owner puled his coach off into the sand and raised the coach with jacks. he removed the wheel and the coach sunk into the sand killing him.his family collected because the owners manual did not state, within the owners manual, that he could not do that.
true story. there is no law against ignorance. but once informed, the liability falls on the user.
i used to be azpete, but my new computer will not let me into irv2 with the same registration. so now im nazpete
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Ok, so the reason for not using the leveling jacks is a concern that the will fail in some way and the coach will fall on me crushing me resulting in a horrible death.
Has this actually happened to anyone? Seems pretty unlikely.
This has NOTHING to do with the topic, but I just noticed your tag line LarryJB, and I LOVE IT!!! Most people will read that as ten.

Carry on!

TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
On my old Southwind I wouldn't lay under the coach with the jacks up because they were a bit finicky. Sometimes they would lower the coach just by turning on the key (not starting the engine, just turning on the key), and sometimes they wouldn't.
The would ALWAYS lower the coach if you released the parking break, engine running or not.
And of course always lower the coach if you put it in gear.

My current coach reacts to either releasing the parking break or putting it in gear.

So for me, I don't want to be under there with just the jacks supporting it.
Not because I think that the jacks will fail, but because it is SO easy for someone else to do something that will trigger them to release.

And as you know, these things come down hard and fast, it's not like you'd have time to scurry out of the way.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
One specific example of a risk of working on a RV supported only by the hydraulic leveling jacks is that the hydraulic leveling jack system has a connection to the vehicle chassis electrical systems that makes sure the parking brake is set via a electrical switch.

On my Winnebago Vista with LCI automatic hydraulic leveling system if that input to the LCI changes and the LCI now thinks the parking brake is off it will immediately raise all the jacks and the initial drop is VERY sudden to the point where the tires touch the ground and start to take the weight off the jacks.

I also use my LCI jacks to lift the chassis to do work under the RV but always place 4x4 blocks or jack stands under the chassis to protect myself from the un-likely event that the LCI droped the chassis.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #22

I do something a little different based on our Newmar having hydraulic jacks and air suspension with the ability to raise the air portion above the normal leveling valve limit.
I raise the air suspension with the air leveling valves locked out (this is done from the HWH panel). The RV is now about 4 inches above the normal air level. I then place 4" X 6" X 18" blocks and some 2" X 6" X 12" blocks under the hydraulic leveling pads (centered under the piston) until I have a gap of about 1" between the wooden blocks and the leveling pads. I then dump the air suspension. The RV is now resting on the pads/blocks. This leaves the RV high enough to crawl under. Note the hydraulics are not used. Reverse the process when done. I carry the blocks with me.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #23

When I had the tires replaced I raised the wheels for the tire guy with the hydraulic jacks. My only concern would be the windshield but lifting up one corner or the front or back shouldn't be an issue.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks