Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #1

Using on site diesel mechanic

Has anyone used a service to change oil, filters or general maintenance that comes to your storage facility? My regular “go to” dealer is way behind in scheduling and can’t take me in for 6 weeks. Can’t help but think getting away from the dealer may be quicker and cheaper.
pschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Yes, I've done it.
My advice is have the tech do a full DOT type inspection, that way he'll look at your brakes, air system, tires and all suspension components. Not just a oil/filter change.

A good way to find a good on road service is call the local Ryder or Penske truck leasing shop. Ask for the service manager.

Both of them will be very familiar with the cans and can nots in your area as they also use them....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I've used on-the-road mechanics

Twice, and both times excellent outcomes - as good as in a regular shop.
One was to have valves adjusted (routine), and another was to replace a leaky exhaust manifold gasket (small leak).
I would easily have both of the on-the-road guys we hired do the same work again; affordable, and oh so much easier than taking the rig to the shop and leaving it...both times they came to where we were!
Our biggest service issue is that where we live, it is a 2 hour drive to the 'regular shop' - so taking it in for anything routine is a chore with 4 hours on the road to take the rig and 4 hours a few days later to pick it up. We find ourselves having routine work while traveling due to not being retired. It is hard to find the time to take it to the shop during the work-week (and between travel opportunities) unless it is something serious. When we have time to travel, that is what we want to do and not take the rig to sit in a shop for 3-4 days while we are on a trip supposedly relaxing. Both of the previous situations were pre-scheduled and were not emergent service. Otherwise, I try to do most everything I can myself at home as long as I am able - lube, filters, etc.
Just my .02 and nothing at all against our 'regular' shop which does outstanding work; it's just the realities of transporting the rig back and forth 2 hours away. On-the-road with planning has worked well (knock on wood).
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #4

Check with any of the private campgrounds in your area. Most will have contacts with local mobile service men.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes, i always use the mobile services, and it is always cheaper than taking to a shop! When you find a good mech. and get good service, you will use them over and over!
I had two different guys come out to the farm, one for tires, one for mechanical stuff on my semi, and called them first when i knew i needed something done!
I do the same now with my MH, and our toad, and it works out very well! Rail!

Tags
diesel