Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2022, 05:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
You ain’t kidding, I ran into a guy at a rest stop with a brand new 2020 canyon star, (gas engine), I asked what his CCC was he said about 10k-12k lbs! I was speechless!

RIGHT???!!!

What did he think CCC stood for???

Yes, often lowest common denominator applies.

But, he may have had the basement filled with hydrogen or helium balloons.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #30

Lesson #2. This involves less work and almost no math.

Drive to the scales with full fuel, fresh water, propane if applicable and the usual suspects who will normally be traveling in the coach. If there is already stuff on board such as clothes, plates, tools, chairs, food, even better. Those are all things that won’t need to be weighed before being loaded, if using the empty coach method.

Let’s face it. At some point the coach will be driven with full tanks and people inside, so why subtract weight that is almost always going to be on board any time the coach is actually used? The new and improved method just allowed manufacturers to produce an artificially high figure that misleads the consumer into believing that they can bring more stuff. “Look at this Honey, we can carry 2800 pounds in this thing”. Until they add water, propane and 2 or more people and discover that they’re now down to 1800 pounds.

The previous method included all those previous fluids that people tend to bring along. Plus 4 people totaling 616 lbs. It was so simple, as long as the Mr and Mrs were less than 308 lbs each, they might even have a few extra pounds of available capacity.
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:42 PM   #31

We were at the same place that you were, we started to look at what brands had the owner support, reliability, floor plan, Diesel pusher that could tow 10K LBS, and did not need the DEF!!, we found that the Western RV ALPINE checked all the boxes, we found a 36' double slide with a 8.9L ISL 400HP 1200 lb-ft of torque, another thing that we looked for was the tank sizes, 115 Gallons of Diesel that also fuels the 7500W generator, 40 gallons of Propane(30 usable), 100 gallons of fresh water, 100 Gallon grey, and 75 Gallons black.

We found ours Dec 31 2019 at a dealer in Junction City Oregon, it's a one owner unit and we have done many upgrades, with the older units you will need to budget 5-10K $ each year for maintenance and upgrades.

We looked at what our budget was and what we thought we could afford.

Good luck with your search, and get it checked out by a reputable mechanic.

Rod
Old 09-08-2022, 11:32 PM   #32

2003, after a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we converted a 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
GVWR -- 29,000#.
Weight across the scale -- 14,000#.
Cargo capacity -- about seven ton.
GCWR -- 53,000# (twenty-six ton).
I hope this helps!
An aside:
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard.
We boondock exclusively:
* summers up rough logger tracks to remote mountain lakes.
* winters on isolated Baja beaches.
Our maintenance and repair account gets tagged for less than a hundred fedbux annually.
Every six years, one axle of our tires ages-out... us$800 for the front axle, then three years later, us$1,600 for the rear axle.
Disclaimer:
We rarely travel more than a hundred miles a month.
Fuel and maintenance is a very minor part of our budget.
Anybody spending a grand a month for maintenance is operating in a different universe from us and our caravan chums.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:37 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Thank for the input from everyone!

I appreciate all the feedback.

Our strategy is sticking with top-of-the-line models. From these, we will eliminate any diesel pushers that do not have a minimum of 5,000 pounds difference between the UAW and GVWR. This will be somewhat dependent upon past manufacturers' brochures, dealers and private sellers being able to supply us with some accurate numbers. If we are not able to obtain these numbers that particular model/seller will get eliminated from being a possible future purchase.

Once we determine which models met the above criteria, we can determine what age we are seeking based on our budget. This should narrow it down to what model and what age of rv we should be searching for.

The next stage would be eliminating models due to condition, lack of maintenance records, or poor floor plan.

This should give us an idea of what will meet our needs prior to spending a lot of time with any one seller. Once we get past this point, we would be looking at possible negotiating's, preview & final inspection, and a trip to view the rv ourselves.

Much of the above is dependent upon the seller supplying the necessary answers to questions a typical buyer would ask prior to making a prudent purchase. I have found in the past while buying boats that many sellers, (both brokers & private sellers) do not know what they are selling. I have turned my back on boats because a seller could/did not answer my questions but instead wanted me to hop on a plane and fly across country to see it while volunteering little information concerning what he was trying to sell. Hopefully I will find rv sellers are more knowledgeable than this in attempting to get their rv sold.

Once again thanks for all the input.

Lonnie & Bona
Lonnie & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
You ain’t kidding, I ran into a guy at a rest stop with a brand new 2020 canyon star, (gas engine), I asked what his CCC was he said about 10k-12k lbs! I was speechless!
Sounds like you just caught him off guard and he was adding payload and towing numbers together and rounding up or something.
On a side note... I have no idea what my CCC is but I do know my OCCC is stated at 2526 which I don't really believe. I do know my "loaded for travel" weight is 1660 lbs under my GVWR and I am comfortable with that.

2020 Canyon Star TH shows 4377 payload / 5000 towing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cs2020.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	376200  
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags