Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

Vacuflush Toilet Trouble

Hi All-
For a couple of months, my vacuflush toilet would intermittently not flush. Step on the pedal, but no flush, pump wouldn't come on and light stayed green. (Without going into too much bodily function detail, this usually happened after a hefty #2)
I got a great mini plunger from Home Depot and that did the trick each time it happened.
A few days ago, it happened again, only this time the plunger made no difference. The light is green but there's no flush of vacuum pressure.
At first, the pump would come on a few minutes after the fact, but that didn't last long. Then the other day while I was getting something out of a rear storage bay, the pump came on when I shut the bay door.
After tgecsystem pressurized, I flushed the toilet. There was vacuum pressure, the toilet flushed, but the pump didn't come on and the light stayed green.
I'm guessing it's a faulty pressure switch, but I want to cover all the other bases first.
I hear there's a way to test the pressure switch by jumping the B terminals, but no clue where that would be.
This whole situation is kind of pissing me off now. The coach is covered under an extended warranty through Camping World (I know..stop laughing), but when I took it into the Bakersfield, CA Camping World, they wouldn't touch it.
I' got the names and numbers of all the nearby service centers listed on Dometic's website. All of them said they don't service or repair vacuflush toilets. Nice!
Dometic has changed their website format and no longer lists a customer service number, so the only option is to send them an electronic message through their website and pray they respond (they haven't yet)
If anyone can give me a crash course on vacuflush troubleshooting I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8255.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	161822  
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #2

Check with westmarine! Those types of toilets popular in Marine Apps.!
gerdutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
If anyone can give me a crash course on vacuflush troubleshooting I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Do a search on Vacu Flush there is a lot written about the issues. Also open up the cover and take a look at the hoses and such not all that complicated I believe.

Good luck with it.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
On a 1984 boat I had two vacuflush heads. One vacuum pump two vacuum tanks one for each head and if the are generally the same the switches are located on the end of each vacuum tank under a plastic cover. They are not adjustable I was told and after trying I would agree. But the signs of bad vacuum switches are continuous running, they won't sense the pressure and tell the pump to stop. The pump should pull 10in WG of vacuum to satisfy the switch. If it bleeds down to 8in of vacuum it will come back on. With all that said I'm not sure that's your problem. You cannot load up that bowl like you can at home, you have to flush a little at a time. Do not load up with a lot of paper either. I would turn off the pump open up the ball flapper and let some water sit in there over night and turn the pump back on. You may have to get a shop vac out and go to work.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
They are not adjustable I was told and after trying I would agree. But the signs of bad vacuum switches are continuous running, they won't sense the pressure and tell the pump to stop. The pump should pull 10in WG of vacuum to satisfy the switch. If it bleeds down to 8in of vacuum it will come back on. With all that said I'm not sure that's your problem. You cannot load up that bowl like you can at home, you have to flush a little at a time. Do not load up with a lot of paper either. I would turn off the pump open up the ball flapper and let some water sit in there over night and turn the pump back on. You may have to get a shop vac out and go to work.
I should have been more symptom specific. I apologize. For the last several months, after a flush and the system repressurized, the pump would frequently come back on a few minutes after the flush, but only for a few seconds and never more than once. I've never had a continuously running pumps issue.
As it sits now, the system had pressurized, the light was green, I filled the bowl with water and did a test flush. The water vacusucked out, but the pump didn't come on and the light is still green. A few test flushes later to see if the system had repressurized and its now full to just above the flush ball and has been for 3 days now.
I also tried the tank chemical soak for a day and a day of dawn dish soap and water soak. Neither had any effect.
It's clearly not recognizing that a flush has occurred so the pump isn't coming on.
I'll crawl into that mouse hole of an access panel inside the lower bay and check the switch tomorrow. Because rhe pump tends to come on after the jolt of closing the staragw bay door, I'm hoping it's just a loose wire or switch at the root of the problem, otherwise I have an appt to have it looked at on Thursday. (Yeah the shops around Pismo Beach are really that busy)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It could be a loose wire on the vacuum switch or more likely the switch itself.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's the switch,as mentioned above, good luck changing it!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a source if they are the same as old vacuflush marine heads. They still may be able to help you.
greatlakesskipper.com
Old 05-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
It could be a loose wire on the vacuum switch or more likely the switch itself.
Yes. I've narrowed it down to one of these. If I go below and give the hose coming from the toilet a little bump, the switch activates and the pump comes on. I can go back inside and flush the toilet, it flushes but the switch doesn't activate the pump. Go outside and give the hose another bump and the pump goes on.
In process of checking the wiring and replacing the switch if that doesn't pan out
Old 05-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hose clamps need snugging sometime and if there is room for two add another to prevent bleed down. May bleed down some over many hrs and start the pump. Duckbill valves get old too, if they are still used.

Tags
toilet