Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

Vacuum tube for AC on 2000 Chieftain

Just got home today from camping this weekend and noticed a tiny blue hose hanging down from what I believe is the AC unit on the front passenger side by the wheel. Found the other piece of hose where it enters the firewall into the cab. Interestingly my AC no longer seems to blow cold air. The tube was cracked and flaking in several areas. Can someone tell me if they know where I should look in the dash to find where the tube connects. The AC was working when I left on Friday so I'm assuming this hose has something to do with it.

Thanks
Jlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
I personally have no clue as to where your vacuum hoses are routed other than they can actuate several plenum vent doors or valves.
It would probably be helpful if you included the age, make, and model of your RV & motor chassis series so others with direct product knowledge might assist.

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #3

Sometimes you can find them in the auto parts stores, but I usually repair them by slipping a length or two of shrink tubing over the two ends placed back together.

If you have one of these hoses cracked/broken in two, you will have more later, they do that from age and heat.

The problem I've found in replacing them is, if they have a 90 degree rubber slip on connector on the end, you will break that too trying to replace the hose.

Shrink tubing overlapped will give you a permanent fix, and will reinforce the hose in the area you spliced it back together.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I will try the repair although there isn't much good hose to work with.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Sometimes you can find them in the auto parts stores, but I usually repair them by slipping a length or two of shrink tubing over the two ends placed back together.

If you have one of these hoses cracked/broken in two, you will have more later, they do that from age and heat.

The problem I've found in replacing them is, if they have a 90 degree rubber slip on connector on the end, you will break that too trying to replace the hose.

Shrink tubing overlapped will give you a permanent fix, and will reinforce the hose in the area you spliced it back together.

DTW
I hadn't thought of shrink tubing to fix them. Great idea!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #6

On my Horizon the blue hose goes to the vacuum actuator that operates the air recirculate door. If your 2000 Winnebago is similar to my 2002 Itasca then when you turn the dash HVAC knob to a/c max it sends vacuum to this door shutting off the hot outside air flow and allowing the cool inside air to recirculate. I repaired a hole in mine with a short piece of vacuum hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	164878  
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
On my Horizon the blue hose goes to the vacuum actuator that operates the air recirculate door. If your 2000 Winnebago is similar to my 2002 Itasca then when you turn the dash HVAC knob to a/c max it sends vacuum to this door shutting off the hot outside air flow and allowing the cool inside air to recirculate. I repaired a hole in mine with a short piece of vacuum hose.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice. Replaced a section of hose and used the heat shrink to join the ends. Everything is working again!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:40 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply/update, It's a good feeling to know you have helped someone in a time of need....
DTW
Old 06-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #10

Vacuum Line Blues....

I have been fighting vacuum hose routing/decay issues myself this weekend. I found the Blue and the Green vacuum motor lines had been chafed through by the way they were run with the blower motor power supply wires being wrapped around them. The cooling has been less than satisfactory and worsening here lately. I will be off to the parts store to buy all new tubing and connector boots this weekend.

Oh, and here is an excellent resource: Winnebago Vacuum & Electrical Diagrams for Motor Homes.

There are a few good posts about vacuum line issues within the Winnebago owners board here too. I've just read through most of them!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote