Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #15

I wax mine to protect the clear coat as well as to fill in any swirl marks that may occur overtime from washing. That way when it rains, or you get the road grime on it, it comes off very easy when washing it leaving the MH looking new. Like said before it gives you the chance to go over every inch of your MH and do any preventive or needed maintenance that you may otherwise never notice.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 06:39 AM   #16

Around here in Florida, you can easily tell the people that don't wax their cars... the clearcoat peels off on the roof ,trunks and hoods from sun/UV exposure. I wax the coach every 6 months with a high quality wax with UV inhibitors.
As previously mentioned, the body shops I've been too have recommended waiting about months before waxing newly applied paint. Seems that the water based paints no being used need more time to cure than the old volatile solvent based paints.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #17

I have often wondered too about the need to wax a vehicle that has several coats of clear over the paint. Is everyone waxing because it's a carryover from pre-clear coat finishes when you actually removed the dead paint for a shinny finish? Is there any concrete data that shows there is a benefit? I used to do it myself because I thought it was necessary. Lately, I have had it done by someone else, but didn't get it done this spring. I either wash it with a Zip Wash/wax type of product or take it through a Blue Beacon and sometimes add in the Rainx treatment. Our coach sits out from Nov to May next to our AZ home (except when we use it) and under an RV port from May till Nov next to our WI home. I'm sure that waxing it can't hurt it, but does it really benefit the surface or just make the owner feel good?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #18

Thanks everyone. This is exactly what I thought I would get. Maybe for different reasons, but you all think waxing is good. I don't think he only meant while the paint cures. Maybe just dead wrong.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Have you considered selling yourself as a drought breaker?

I'm the same way. I wash it it rains. If I have it waxed we get a 'Noreaster.
Tony - I think we should form a company and get paid to travel. However I worry about the results if the two of us wax at the same time at the same location!?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Probably just my eye but it seems to me that an application of wax makes the coach shinier.

I asked if they could apply an extra coat of clear when they painted. The salesman said no need as there was already two coats.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #21

Much good advice in this thread. Waxing does bring out the color and fills-in the fine scratches. I use a "cleaner wax" which contains a fine abrasive only once a year to remove oxidation. A pure wax rest of the time. My 16-year-old coach certainly shows the effort. I too discover the orbital polisher. So much faster and easier than the old arm-strong method.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #22

We just completed a trip up the Alaska Highway with the associated dirt/mud sections along the way. At Tok AK we washed the coaches and it was easy to tell which ones had been waxed and which ones had not. The dirt, tar and grime washed easily of mine and a few others, and some were still just dirty looking. Wax protects paints and makes cleaning easier and more effective. Not waxing is just being lazy but we all have the right to be lazy if we want.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I had the impression that most/many full body paint RV owners wax them. I just had some body work done and the body shop that painted and clear coated the work told me there is no need to wax. I was surprised. What do you all say? Do you wax, and why?
sbleiweiss
My now 20 year old coach has never been "waxed".
(Good paint with a good clear coat is like that).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are those who do not. Those same ppl have steaks or black stains under windows, ladder mounts, rain gutters etc. Grab a10ft ladder and a few beers and have fun the results are great. Be one of those that takes pride in what they do. . And own. Have fun rvn
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #25

My coach is small so waxing is a one day job.I use the same paste wax as
on my boat.I figure if I can keep a black boat looking new in the Fl Keys
sun, it must be working well.My boat is ten years old,and looks great.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Two types of wax "plain wax" and wax with a cleaner like plain old Turple Wax which is like mild rubbing compound. If your surface is rather clean, no need for. Wax with cleaner.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a product called Wash/Wax All, that I originally purchased at a private airport near the main one here in San Antonio. I have used this on my 1967 Camaro RS muscle car for two years now and it is wonderful. Of course helps to begin with a clean vehicle but this stuff will clean and wax as well.

It is now available on Amazon (what isn't?) and I found a nice package for RV owners.

Here is a pic

https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Air...ash+wax+all+rv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	132754  
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I use Dry Wash N Guard. It protects the finish. In fact rain runs right off, taking most dirt with it.
Thanks for your post. I have never heard of this stuff but went to YouTube to check it out and it looks like for real new technology. I don't wax my MH. I wash it with wash that contains wax. I was told that waxing can be bad for the vinyl graphics. Some even said that waxing over the graphics can cause the edges of the graphics to lift. I don't know because I am unfamiliar with the complete story on all the graphics in use now. My question is that my vinyl graphics are starting to fade just a little and don't have the impact they once had. Did the Dry Wash N Guard add any luster to your graphics? Did you do your glass with the product?
Thanks for your post. I met my goal today of learning something new.....as I usually do when reading these posts.
beboboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote