Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did my extenders differently I used a good quality stainless steel flex hose, two big flat washers either side of the rubber hand hole insert and tightened the male end down. Easy access to air up the inner dual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9BFAA661-FCEC-4901-8AF9-9C5249DD72F4.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	222746  
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
From the picture, it appears to be an airless extender, which will be totally defeated by a TPMS sensor since it will permanently depress the Schrader valve when installed...and make it a conventional extender.
The valve core shown in the photo is why I don't think it is Airless. You'd only need the valve to keep air in. A simple plunger is all that an airless extender would need.
RV2traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Have the valve stems replaced with the steel extra long one for the inner wheel and then you won't have that issue.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #18
RV LIFE Support Team

We have wanted to do that but no one ever has the long stems. Know where we can buy them?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We have wanted to do that but no one ever has the long stems. Know where we can buy them?
I let the tire shop know a few days in advance and they ordered them and installed them with the new tires. I believe they are 9"
Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
75 mph and a valve stem extender is the problem...

I was thinking the same thing
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #21
RV LIFE Support Team

We are due tires in 2-3 years I was going to ask when we order the tires and see what happens.

I was hoping to get some extenders now to have them in hand and just stop at a truck place on the road to have them installed.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #22

Yes- get rid of the extensions and put in 1 piece valves of the appropriate angle and length.
I did have a similar situation with a failed extension . I lost enough pressure that the bead lost it's seal and the compressor I had didn't have enough volume/pressure to reseat the bead. I removed the wheel/tire, put it in the toad and drove to a tire shop. They did a cursory examination and proceeded to fill the tire. The bead seated fine... then as it was reaching necessary pressure, the sidewall zippered. The bang was deafening and the blast blew the tech across the parking lot. Be careful.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #23

My thought also ^
cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #24
RV LIFE Support Team

When we had a tire removed and refilled the tire was put in a "cage" before filling, I assume for protection.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
I ran 3" solid extenders for 10 years, and have now run 4" solid extenders for 5 years, both using the rubber donut stabilizer. I have run over 100k miles and never had a problem with them. I wouldn't use flexible extenders if you paid me!! Just goes to show you that we each choose our own poison for our own reasons ...

The pictured failure is very curious to me ... how the threaded portion of the extender could be broken off. My strongest suspicion is that something went between the duals and caught the extender, knocking it out of place. How it came off the valve stem without tearing up the stem (& no other visible damage to the stem) would be the biggest mystery.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #26

After looking at the picture and reading the OP comment, I think the extension was broken after it came off the wheel stem. The left end (in the picture) is what screws onto the wheel stem and it isn't damaged, nor is the wheel stem damaged, the OP aired the tire back up with it and the tire still had some air in it. The broken end is where the stem cap (sensor) screws on and is what sticks out through the outer wheel. I think the whole extension was loose and started leaking air as it unscrewed from the wheel stem, finally coming off and becoming lodged between the wheels where the OP found it. When it came completely off the wheel stem, some air was left in the tire as the OP described and kept the tire seated on the wheel. That little tip end that is broken off is, I assume, the portion that was screwed into the TPMS sensor. Possibly the stem was partially cracked and the weight of the sensor finished the break, or it could have been broken after the extension unscrewed.

What happened to the sensor? The OP didn't mention.
Possibly a little attention to the tightness of the extensions, not just looking at them, would have prevented this. I have extensions and will check them on a regular basis.
One last scary thought as to what would unscrew the extension, loose lug nuts and movement between the wheels?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We have been looking for a solution to the rear duals for years now. We had tried the braided extenders a few decades ago and were very unhappy with them. Have they improved? Can anyone recommend a brand, style or whatever? We are ready to try them again and when looking the prices are all over the place.

We do have a TPMS system on all tires.

Thanks
If you get the correct ones for your application and properly installed the flexible extenders work fine.
Nine years and close to 50,000 miles and not one problem on my old Dutchstar.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
After looking at the picture and reading the OP comment, I think the extension was broken after it came off the wheel stem. The left end (in the picture) is what screws onto the wheel stem and it isn't damaged, nor is the wheel stem damaged, the OP aired the tire back up with it and the tire still had some air in it. The broken end is where the stem cap (sensor) screws on and is what sticks out through the outer wheel. I think the whole extension was loose and started leaking air as it unscrewed from the wheel stem, finally coming off and becoming lodged between the wheels where the OP found it. When it came completely off the wheel stem, some air was left in the tire as the OP described and kept the tire seated on the wheel. That little tip end that is broken off is, I assume, the portion that was screwed into the TPMS sensor. Possibly the stem was partially cracked and the weight of the sensor finished the break, or it could have been broken after the extension unscrewed.

What happened to the sensor? The OP didn't mention.
Possibly a little attention to the tightness of the extensions, not just looking at them, would have prevented this. I have extensions and will check them on a regular basis.
One last scary thought as to what would unscrew the extension, loose lug nuts and movement between the wheels?
The extender was still tight on the inner stem and sealed at that end. The broken piece on end tip of extender and valve were what were jammed just slightly off center of the hole on wheel under the edge. When it broke it looked like it made it just short enough to somehow jam back there. The Tpms was still on the end of the small broken piece and it was about 3/4 broken off at the time I discovered it. My extenders were tight and in place. I had to use a wrench to remove it. I think judging by a wear hole in the extender metal it was rubbing with vibration on the sharp edge of the aluminum wheel hole. In either case, had I not had extenders, I would not have had the problem which is in agreement with the tire tech who said we never recommend them. No problem on my prior two rvs with them. Learned my lesson here though.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve